Author Topic: Dryers  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Dryers
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:59:34 AM »
We are looking for a new dryer and the Heatwave gas dryer is our preffered choice.
Saying that we still might have to settle for an electric dryer with forced air.
Any opinion on the following options

M&R Radicure
Powerhouse 4013 by Workhorse
HIX NPII-3616

Generally we need a good dryer to cure waterbased inks, discharge inks and if gas is no option for us this time round one of those 3 electric dryers has to do the job.

Thanks guys.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Dryers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
add the interchange MD-8 or AirJet

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:46:08 AM »
Call Winston Strickland.  He is building dryers to order.  He has a long history in the industry.
904-343-0848
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:52:26 AM »
Call Winston Strickland.  He is building dryers to order.  He has a long history in the industry.
904-343-0848

When it comes to dryers, Winston is the foremost expert.  I thought that he was up to something like building his own dryer but he never came out and told me.  If anyone can build a quality dryer on their own it's Winston.  I can't wait to see what he comes up with.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »
I'd exhaust all options to go with gas before you settle on electric.  Do whatever it takes to get gas to your shop, even consider a propane tank because you will save tons of money over the life of the dryer if you go with gas, not to mention higher throughput by a good margin. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »
Not to put the knock on Winston in the least bit, but would a custom built "one-off" from the United States be the best fit for a shop in Japan?
Even if not exactly a one-off, aren't parts and service availability in the future an important factor?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
Is that where the OP is?  Obviously if he's in Japan that changes a lot of things, and I'd probably look even harder at M&R if that's the case.  I'm sure there some Japanese companies that make textile dryers that might be a good option.  I don't know what other screen printing equipment manufacturers have footing in Japan, but I'm sure there are decent options.

Knowing Winston, I bet his choice of components to make this dryer are all easily available throughout the world.  I actually think Winston does more work out of the US than he does in it, so he's probably thought of everything when it comes to global availability of the parts that go into his dryers.  I remember him telling me about doing a ton of work in south america and at big shops that have old equipment all over the world.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »
As mentioned if you can muster enough for the gas you will be glad you did and I would also recommend M&R.  I had nothing but great success with my blue's (M&R) dryers and presses. Any issues I may have had were quickly rectified with tech support. 
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW Master® 

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »
I really do favor the M&R Heatwave, as a matter of fact I do favor M&R in general as they have a great customer service and do try to help you as much as possible + the little extra more to get you right equipment.
But just in case the gas option will fall through I would have to decide on an electric so the Radicure seems to be a nice unit. but how suitable s for discharge and waterbased inks? We re not talking here runs of 1000s of shirts, rather a few hundred pcs at a time.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »
I don't have gas in my shop so I went electric. I have a workhorse 5217. It's the big brother to the 4013. They don't even show the 5217 on their website. It has a 52 inch belt and 7.5 feet of heat. 4 feet in and 4 feet out. This thing will do a lot of shirts. I have it set very low only at about 20 percent on the speed and I can easily do 400 shirts an hour. If you turn it up a little you can double that. This depends on your print size. They do need a lot of power but don't cost much to run. They run on one second then off for 5 seconds. I have run some waterbased tests and they washed fine. Don't know what it would do with a production run of hundreds.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »
I really do favor the M&R Heatwave, as a matter of fact I do favor M&R in general as they have a great customer service and do try to help you as much as possible + the little extra more to get you right equipment.
But just in case the gas option will fall through I would have to decide on an electric so the Radicure seems to be a nice unit. but how suitable s for discharge and waterbased inks? We re not talking here runs of 1000s of shirts, rather a few hundred pcs at a time.
The Radicure will do discharge just fine. Not as fast as our gas dryers but will easily what you are stating and more!
Rich Hoffman

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 12:33:05 AM »
I'm fairly sure it wil be the Heatwave in the end, just have to get the gas technician to check the old line that is in our new property.That gas meter is from 1964.  Anyone got an idea about natural gas? There are plenty of different types here in Japan. The one supplied in our building is type 13A? What ever that means.
Or is it all the same for the dryer as long as it is some form of natural gas?

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »
As long as they specify natural gas the burner will accept it. The pressure you will need is around 6" water column.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 10:05:06 AM »
I'll better double check again with Osaka Gas.

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 10:35:46 AM »
Sonny,Alan- Thanks for the confidence!
I "custom" build to order a limited amount of Dryers, Batch Ovens for the screen printing,composite,powder
coat industry. I also do dryer, oven conversions,retro-fits,upgrades for these industries. Our beloved "Frog"
has a valid concern, since I don't speak Japaneese very well. All dryers I fabricate,etc. are built to UL,FM, NFPA
Standards for Ovens & Furnaces. No Exceptions! Which means that they are built to plans and standards that
any "journeyman" would understand. Most parts are "standard" off the shelf parts, that meet these agency
approvals, except for metal fab parts etc. Most are built with a modem that can link to my computer, if need
be.That being said at this time, I fully understand my "limitations", and feel that "these" limitations, would not
best serve the customer,or be a good fit for what I do! So out of the dryers the customer as asked about, I will
be happy to comment. The M&R Heatwave is a great little dryer,for gas choice and it's burner will burn all natural,
lp gases. As far as IR dryer I would recomend the M&R Radcure or The Hix. The "other" brand I feel will work,
just not as good as the first two. Since you are "comfortable" with M&R, I would say that is a good choice!
As far as the MD8, Interchange brand, a great brand as well. Since, this printer seems to be more of a "startup"
level, I would lean with Dave Blake at M&R (international sales) 630-3904963, he is a one of the "great guys"
of the industry. He knows his stuff!
 winston