Author Topic: screen coating question  (Read 4145 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Re: screen coating question
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »
Where do you guys get your thickness gauges?

I do mostly glisten method which ends up being 2/2, rounded edge with the AWT coater with Aquasol HV at about 80 degrees one handed from the floor.

Pretty much identical here except I coat two handed. Like br suggested, I watched videos way back of the coating machines doing this and imitated them. I do flip the screen and would need sophisticated tools that I don't have to accurately say if this is needed in manual coating or not. So, I err on the side of flipping.

Another thing I do is have coating options on the mesh chart. Our chart has unique exposure values for a 150s coated 2/2 and for the same coated 2/1.  I also use the round edge exclusively up to 180 s and then the thin edge up from there.

I've considered the one hand method since it makes good sense but my way works so I haven't tried it out yet.

I think it's all about operator skill in any case. Alan's man was doing perfect screens with that one hand method whereas I had a former employee try and convince me to go that way and the screens he built were unusable compared to mine. 

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: screen coating question
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »
Maybe I'm doping smoke, but aren't some of the best screens made done on automatic coating machines? And if so, I'd say watch one in action and try to duplicate its actions. Just thinking out loud. I'm pretty sure they don't flip and/or rotate the screen either (sorry Sonny ;))
Main difference on an automatic coater is both sides are done at the same time.  This wraps the emulsion around the mesh.  No Problem Dave ::) ::)
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 01:57:48 PM »
Was gonna say the same thing as Sonny, and also add that it says right there on the bucket of emulsion to flip the screen.
Even has a little internationally recognizable drawing for the act.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 02:05:19 PM »
Dave's a rebel!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
Dave has an automatic coater?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
I know where there is a used one for sale with very little miles and in excellent condition. Northern NE
yp