Author Topic: trapping in ai  (Read 1736 times)

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
trapping in ai
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »
I have a file that has only 2 color but tons of layers and elements. I am looking to do a trap to make my life easier. Is there a method in ail that will do that. I keep finding that it traps on screen but after the film is made the trap is gone.
Thanks
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: trapping in ai
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:58:54 PM »
I have a file that has only 2 color but tons of layers and elements. I am looking to do a trap to make my life easier. Is there a method in ail that will do that. I keep finding that it traps on screen but after the film is made the trap is gone.
Thanks

not sure if this will help or not, but check into the attribute panel and see if overprint fill and overprint stroke does the trick. I usually apply one point stroke and make sure the overprint is enabled on the top layer.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »
Do a search in the AI help from the top menu for "Create a trap" It is a Pathfinder command that makes it really easy. I have never used it but looks like to would save a ton of time if you have to use a trap.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »
It's fairly easy, but I we could see it, it would be easier to write out some instruction. One thing I usually do is make a duplicate file, then select all and use "Flatten Transparency" under the Object menu, then in the Pathfinder pallette, use Merge. That should reduce it to the simple 2 spot colors without all the extra stuff, and you can build very quickly from there...

Steve

post it...
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:19:39 PM »
As always this is a great place to come. I am a total novice when it comes to ai. I guess I need to do some homework but the flattening transparency was exactly what I needed!
Thanks again,
matt
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13:27 PM »
It's a handy tool. If you get an .eps or .pdf in which you don't own the fonts, open a fresh page and place the file. Then go to the Flatten Trans command, and be sure to check the box for converting the fonts, and voila, you got it.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:14:33 AM »
One way to pull this off is once you seps are set up send your black to the rip. Next use select same color then add a stroke to each color and any free floating back objects then send the colors to your rip next. Works great if you expand your strokes instead of keeping them as strokes.