Author Topic: X5 update????  (Read 2654 times)

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
X5 update????
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:44:49 PM »
So i have X4 with a ton of AA macros. the problem is i just got my update to x5 and i have never updated before and I afraid that im going to lose my X4 all together and worse lose my macros. Can someone please let me know if im going to lose X4? What i mean is X$ just going to turn into X5 and i wont have X4 anymore? im freaking out kind of!

Offline Chadwick

Re: X5 update????
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:55:32 PM »
There's ways of saving your workspace and such.
I'll let Fluid explain that if needed.
Perhaps a good system restore point might ease the tension?

I think half the fun is learning how to re-mod the new system myself.

I never rely on macros, or stock actions/scripts/whatever.
They're just there to speed up the mechanics of something.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 06:54:33 PM »
Late but here it goes.  You can install X5 and still have X4 installed.  Since there are changes made from X4 to X5 you will need to use your original X4 disk and run a repair after installing X5 or some options may be messed up. Like the edit bitmap button that launches Photopaint from inside DRAW. 

You can also export your X4 workspace and import that into X5. Everything will be exactly the same accept and hot keys. You will need to manually set those and some of your macros may not work due to the changes in X5.

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW Master® 

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 08:01:26 PM »
 i also own corel x4 and thought of upgrading to x5
but i feel that a new version of the software would come later in this year
now if i wait it x6 or whatever they might call it, i would i still be eligible to the new version?
So i have X4 with a ton of AA macros. the problem is i just got my update to x5 and i have never updated before and I afraid that im going to lose my X4 all together and worse lose my macros. Can someone please let me know if im going to lose X4? What i mean is X$ just going to turn into X5 and i wont have X4 anymore? im freaking out kind of!
@jason
i heard that importing workspaces or macros from older version of the software is never a good idea,
it can yield to some corruption or other issue with the software
foster from unleash site suggested it

Offline Fluid

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »
yup, you can upgrade from X4 to X what ever it may be.  I have skipped a version or two back in the day.

Importing old version workspaces can introduce some issues depending on what is exported, etc.  It is highly recommended as mentioned to start from scratch with each and every version if you can muster the patience.
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW Master® 

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 06:31:02 AM »
So I tried to install my update and it says my file is corrupt and now my x4 does not work, it wouldnt let me repair it and it won't let me uninstall it. I guess I could search through and delete program files but this is pissing me off. Any help would be great...

Offline Fluid

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:41:29 AM »
Manually delete all Corel program files and folders.  Install X5 and make sure it loads up properly, etc. Then reinstall X4.
As long as your copy of X5 is legit there shouldn't be any issues installing X5 with X4 already installed.  I have 3 versions of the CorelDRAW suite installed on my system right now and no issues other than running a repair on the older versions after installing the newer ones.

I would highly suggest installing and running ccleaner first as well.  http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner  It is a free program that will clean your system of temp and trash files and will even fix your registry of errors that you probably have. Been using this for years now also

I use this app at least twice a day removing in excess of 300 megs of trash and temp files depending on my workload of the day.

feel free to email me directly if you have more issues

Richard

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:59:18 AM »
Manually delete all Corel program files and folders.  Install X5 and make sure it loads up properly, etc. Then reinstall X4.
As long as your copy of X5 is legit there shouldn't be any issues installing X5 with X4 already installed.  I have 3 versions of the CorelDRAW suite installed on my system right now and no issues other than running a repair on the older versions after installing the newer ones.

I would highly suggest installing and running ccleaner first as well.  http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner  It is a free program that will clean your system of temp and trash files and will even fix your registry of errors that you probably have. Been using this for years now also

I use this app at least twice a day removing in excess of 300 megs of trash and temp files depending on my workload of the day.

feel free to email me directly if you have more issues
i did remove all files and reinstalled x4 and it works fine right now but the only problem i still have is my user account for some reason when loading x4 it would not load and the buttons at the bottom of the load screen you could not see and would not do anything. so i started a second user account and it loaded fine and the control buttons on the wizard were all good. I dont know what is up with the other user account but it has all my stuff on it but when i switch back over to the original user account x4 is there and is working normal i just had to do a repair to fix the thumb nail view. I did this all this morning before i had to go to my "real" job. I will try and load x5 tonight and hopefully it will be ok. the x5 update is a legit buy from corel and i do use ccleaner ever sense you mentioned it a few weeks ago in a prior post. Thanks for the help fluid... ;D

Offline Fluid

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »
You may want to back up everything to a external hard drive and wipe your compute clean. Sounds like computer issues and not Corel.  Major PITA for sure yet if you are having to switch users than something is amis system wise.

As far as backing up I would copy all working files - not the traditional backup but manually copy all your working files and just wipe your system clean and install back to factory default.

Richard

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »
I have discovered in the past that when Corel becomes corrupt it is usually registry issues, unfortunately finding and deleting all of them is next to impossible. I hate to say this but windows system restore works wonders with these issues, also it is always a good idea to back up your whole registry before installing w major piece of software just in case.

I hate multi users on windows it becomes such a resource hog and personally unless it is a home pc with your kids it's useless. If you must use multiple users always shut down others users instead of fast switching that will free up some of the resources.

I have had luck in the past fixing s macro myself by editing it and usually changing something as simple as xxxxversion to xxxxversion with in the macro. As for purchased protected macros I am not sure they can be edited for obvious reasons.
"No man is an island"