Author Topic: M&R Central Off Contact  (Read 1347 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
M&R Central Off Contact
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:44:55 AM »
I am the second owner of a 8x10 Gauntlet 2001 model, the first owner used the press to print tote bags only. He bought it without central off contact. I would like to know if anyone has ever added central off contact to their press. In my owners manual in the parts diagrams it has one page that shows all the parts of the central off contact, and at the top of the page it says OPTIONAL CENTRAL OFF CONTACT when I see this it tells me that it is something that can be added wouldn't you think. I have talked to M&R and they say it is an engineering issue.  I would like for someone who has this central off contact to take some pictures and send them to me if you don't mind. Just so I can determine how big a challenge it would be to add it if it can be.
I manage without it but ocassionally have to adjust the screen hanger to print some thicker items.
thanks

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: M&R Central Off Contact
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:22:29 AM »
Not sure about adding the central off contact but you could use aluminum flat bar to place under the screens to adjust the off contact. When we ran our Javelin and Olympian I had 20 or so strips of 18"x 1"x 1/16" strips and shim the screen to the proper off contact for each job. Not sure if they sell them any more but M&R has Rasta Bars (think that's what they are called) to do the same thing. 

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »
Yes you can buy the parts to install the central off-contact.

It's not that difficult, just the area you have to work in is cramped and you need the correct tools for the trade.

Contact M&R service and they'll give you all the details.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »
Not sure about adding the central off contact but you could use aluminum flat bar to place under the screens to adjust the off contact. When we ran our Javelin and Olympian I had 20 or so strips of 18"x 1"x 1/16" strips and shim the screen to the proper off contact for each job. Not sure if they sell them any more but M&R has Rasta Bars (think that's what they are called) to do the same thing.
Thanks for this tip Brian. This never occured to me and I have been running shirts on the Javelin and running fleece on the manual because the Javs off contact is set by the pallets.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:48:35 PM »
That's not true the javelin has the ability to control central off contact simply by either using the shims they can provide or by using anything on hand and place right below the three stop points on the upper carriage. With our javelin I used eigth inch metal pices I bought and chopped down placed on the lower carriage in three spots and used a piece of tape to hold in place. The only thing to watch for is if you go really thick you need to adjust the limit switch and make sure you are engaging the reg bearings sufficiently.
"No man is an island"

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:38:11 PM »
That's not true the javelin has the ability to control central off contact simply by either using the shims they can provide or by using anything on hand and place right below the three stop points on the upper carriage. With our javelin I used eigth inch metal pices I bought and chopped down placed on the lower carriage in three spots and used a piece of tape to hold in place. The only thing to watch for is if you go really thick you need to adjust the limit switch and make sure you are engaging the reg bearings sufficiently.
I need to start thinking outside the box!