screen printing > General Screen Printing

Mixed film ( haha )

(1/2) > >>

Chadwick:
So..
I'm printing a few repeat jobs today,
and notice that sometime back, I had redone the base for both jobs.

I remembered this only because the new base was printed out on waterproof,
( we've gone back to plain old silkjet )
and the rest of the films were on non-waterproof.

I always expose the base first.
The exposure unit is cool, no chance of heat goofing things up, and I align everything
to that positive on press, base screen first during setup.

Set everything up...colors aren't registering bang on to the positive.
Hmm...too late now,
Couple test prints, tweaks, everything is decent enough, even if it is out a bit.
( this was p*ssin me off... )

Shirts all boxed and gone and whatnot, I take the positives over to the light table.

Damn waterproof film was 'twisting' the print on the 3000, not much, but enough.
I noticed it started messing with the feeder gears after a few boxes, so I quit using it.
Both guilty positives didn't 'twist' the same way either.

I don't recall any alignment problems when the entire job was on the same film.

This may all seem obvious, but I'm just relating, cause sometimes we miss something.
And perhaps some of the new folk don't actually know better.

( and where the hell else am I gonna talk shop? )
 :)

Got anything to add, please do.
I didn't actually see a film section ( rips maybe? )
Cheers.

Frog:
Our ink jets do a pretty good job replacing our cameras, but let's face it, they were not designed for this "off label" use.
The slightest change in feeding can result in films not registering.
In your case, I bet it's slightly different traction with the feed rollers.

My last problem with a replacement film (same film type) was due to orientation. I had rotated it 90 degrees, and that was enough to put it out of whack in relation to the others.

We have to always remember to line up our new films (or films with a replacement)  before burning screens!

Fluid:
I miss the old stat camera and ruby lift days. That was not only an art but a science. I actually learned it old school by watching two pretty darn good artists and one is a member here.  I do remember the days of running films when I purchased my old Xante Laser writer 8300.  It was one if not the first printer that hit the market for our industry. I paid 5k at SGIA in Atlanta back in 96, 97 or 98. Honestly cannot remember the exact year. Auto Type laser film was the shiznit back then as well and worked really well with the xante.  Of course it had all the issues inkjets have and then some other than clogging yet at the time was awesome. I did my first cmyk job using my xante.  Switching to a imagesetter was the best thing I did for my business and after a years time I upgraded to a larger one.  I wouldn't think twice about using an inkjet for films ever again.  When my first imagesetter crashed for the second time and I upgraded I had to wait a month for it to be built and shipped. During this waiting period I had to buy a R1800, RIP and all the goodies.  Used the darn thing for a month and then it sat on a shelf for 4 years before I finally got rid of it.  $350 for the printer, rip, 4 waterproof ink cartridges  and two boxes of films. 

Funny thing is I still have the Xante. I just used it for a every day to day printer. Emails, etc. Now it is sitting in my storage unit collecting dust.

Chadwick:
Feed roller issue.
Exactly, Frog.
The traction changed due to the different surface.
It was actually leaving residue on them, and it started having traction issues, so I quit using it.

I don't miss the old methods, but it's nice to reflect on stat cameras and such.
I wouldn't part with a workhorse piece of equipment either, Fluid, even if it does collect dust.

Cheers.

Frog:
On that note, my wife would absolutely love me to dig the old Agfa horizontal out, dump it,  and reclaim about fifteen square feet of closet space! (my former dark room)
I have absolutely no idea why I still have that sucker.
I will hold onto the vacuum pump and give the lenses to my brother who is into that kind of thing.
The rest is scrap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version