Author Topic: Any suggestions for DIRT CHEAP white vinyl?  (Read 5668 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Any suggestions for DIRT CHEAP white vinyl?
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »
I do some sandblasting and only use the vinyl for a stencil.  It doesn't have to be very good as it's only on the product for a few days at best.

I'm currently using FDC 4200 but as some might have read it's been suggested that it is junk.  I just try and keep cost down on this as we do go through a LOT of this stuff considering the size of the product.  We are on our 4th 50yd roll right now.

We are currently getting it at $54.10 for 15" 50yd roll from specialty-graphics... actually knock that down another 5% because t-shirtforums has a coupon code.

Sure I'd like to use better cutting vinyl, but cost is just as important.  Especially now that the new blade seems to be cutting much better (rookie mistake).

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Any suggestions for DIRT CHEAP white vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »
I don't know the pricing off hand but have you checked out Greenstar by US Cutter?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »
Hmm... that's CHEAP... they even have 651 for a decent price and it's flat 9 bucks shipping 1 day to me!

Anyone ever use this greenstar stuff?  At $38 bucks + flat $9 bucks shipping (meaning each roll is cheaper and cheaper and I don't mind buying a few rolls at a time, that stuff is pretty cheap.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:28:23 PM »
How much you need?

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »
I don't think that they have anything as cheap as the Greenstar, but one of our sponsors and participants, Coastal Business,  certainly has a deal similar to Speciallty, if not a whisker cheaper.
And, they offer a 5% discount to TSB members!  ;D

http://www.coastalbusiness.com/signvinyl-signmakingvinyl.aspx
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:37:54 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
I have used greenstar. It cuts easy and weeds easy. Not as easy as 651 but not bad at all.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »
How much you need?

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)

A mile?  No, seriously I've been asking my wife to figure this out for months.  But we have gone through 3 rolls of 50 yards in just a couple of months so...  I can put it this way.. we put a brand new 50 yard roll on yesterday and about 300 orders later it has gone from 5.5" in diameter to under 4.5" in diameter.  And that is on the outside where you get more inches per wrap.

I don't think that they have anything as cheap as the Greenstar, but one of our sponsors and participants, Coastal Business,  certainly has a deal similar to Speciallty, if not a whisker cheaper.

I'll see what they can do... I've used them for some transfers in the past with mixed results but they took care of me.

I have used greenstar. It cuts easy and weeds easy. Not as easy as 651 but not bad at all.

Surely can't hurt at that price!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »

You realize they only offer the same vinyl that I'm trying to get away from right?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »
As i mentioned, they don't have the dirt cheap option you seek, for that you now have the Greenway option.  Just pointing out that they are a bit cheaper than your present supplier, are members here, advertisers here, and TSB members don't need to go to another forum to get the 5% discount you mentioned. ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 03:05:29 PM »
You have to do the numbers but coastal may be cheaper since they have free shipping over $ whatever it is

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »
As i mentioned, they don't have the dirt cheap option you seek, for that you now have the Greenway option.  Just pointing out that they are a bit cheaper than your present supplier, are members here, advertisers here, and TSB members don't need to go to another forum to get the 5% discount you mentioned. ;D

Sorry, wasn't trying to cross promote or spam, just being specific about what I'm paying now.

Both places have free shipping and one is cheaper, I'll leave it at that. :)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »

Greenstar shrinks a lot compared to 651 & 751.....

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 04:54:26 PM »
Shrinks? I never noticed that. Shrinks with heat? Or?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 04:57:29 PM »
That won't be an issue for this application... if it stays on the product more than 3 days we are slacking. ;)

And by "we", I mean my wife as she does all of this stuff... I just make the trips to the bank. ;)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 06:03:50 PM »
Shrinks? I never noticed that. Shrinks with heat? Or?

I cut some letters for my truck about 18 months ago......I mixed the 3 different kinds of vinyl for the various letters.....This was done as a test because I read various threads about how good or how bad the cheaper vinyl was versus 751 and I wanted to see for myself....Within a few months there was noticeable shrinkage in both the Greenstar and 651 with the Greenstar being worse........I now use mostly 751.....