Author Topic: First order of screens, what mesh?  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
Re: First order of screens, what mesh?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
alright I gotta call bullshit...telling someone to get wood screens...

I gotta hand it to you guys...buy stuff twice..yeah that is a way to do business.

good luck!!!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 06:48:34 PM »
alright I gotta call bullshit...telling someone to get wood screens...

I gotta hand it to you guys...buy stuff twice..yeah that is a way to do business.

good luck!!!

No sh!t. Why buy shitty stuff and then realize its shitty? Save up and do it right the first time. With all the money and wasted time fooling with crap, you could by the right stuff two times over when all is said and done.

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Nick Bane

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 07:51:49 PM »
i agree as well, spend your money wisely the first time and you wont end up buying things twice.

and yeah, wood frames, screw that. 
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »
I agree with doublestroke.  I know of several large auto shops that use wood.  I agree that he should buy what he is comfortable with.  If he has the technical will and expertise then retens would be a good fit.  To say that wood is crap is just not so.  At least ours are not.  Not all are ready for retens out of the gate.  Sam I love your passion for printing but everyone learns at a different pace and from a different background.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »
Sonny with all due respect bullsh*t....buy what is right the first time and build...why keep buying over and over...I really wish I got my mentor before I spent a lot of money that I should not have...

I would give the advise of getting a mentor who is in this business and can help lead you to success....some people want to be successful and other think about...which one are you? 

Sam

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
I would not recommend wood, but I do think that there is certain sense to buying a few well stretched  aluminum frames and actually learning how to coat and expose, and print basic stuff before also tackling how to make a screen.(I've seen a lot of posts here indicating that there can be problems and a learning curve)

Besides, we can't all learn to drive in a Porsche, some of us learn in a Toyota or Ford.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:04:27 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 09:00:48 PM »
I like Frog's analogy--and I see good points on either side of the argument.  If you're just getting into printing, wood or aluminum will get you into printing.  You have plenty to learn if you're just starting out.  (or even if you know everything   ;D)
I use both retens and aluminum statics, and personally, I find they both have their places.

Try out whatever you can, and make your own decision--make sure you have the time, energy, money, and initiative to most properly implement whatever type of screen stock you decide on--or it will be a waste of what you put into it.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »
I see the point and I respect the points being made about statics... and in all truth I'm still not stretching up my own screens YET.

BUT the one thing I learned when I went to Alan's and printed on, and got a couple of Newmans stretched up, was mostly how much harder I was making it on myself trying to print on crappy statics!

I'm still printing on crappy statics but let me tell you how much I wish all my Newman's were up and running when I have to.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »
Did you guys realize that this thread was started back in March :)
I think that he have already bought those screens some time ago

(I realized that after I made my post yesterday)