Author Topic: WoW ink recomondations?  (Read 5715 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: WoW ink recomondations?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »
I hope that Rutland's purchase will end those problems so we can all trust the products again.  When the formulas are right, they are fantastic.  The xolb is badass for dark shirts and the wow is perfect for every other application.  Come on Rutland, get this s h i t straightened out with your new sister company.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »
Hey Alan, I would recommend for QCM either their halftone base or their WOW base instead of the softee base. If you can still find the halftone base that is. They say it was the same thing as the WOW base they now offer but I swear it was not. But the WOW base they have does a way better job at it in my opinion than the softee base as that particular item was not meant for wow. It can be used as we have done it in the past but you will get way better results with the wow base. Just my opinion

Damn, I was told by a guy at qcm that the softee was the best thing to use to turn the xolb ink into WOW inks and help any ink to become better at wow printing.  He told me that the WOW series was xolb with softee base.  I remember having a batch of softee base and it was fairly thick, almost like soft hand base and the next gallon I got in was basically like water and wasn't remotely close in consistency and body as the first gallon I got.  I really like the qcm inks but the drastic changes from batch to batch is hard to deal with.

Hey Alan, I'm telling ya' Colin would be the man to answer this question. He knows all the ins and outs of these inks in question. But just in our shop's experience you will notice a big jump in print quality from the Softee to the WOW base. And less buildup to no buildup on the back of the screens.. But yeah, the drastic changes are hard to deal with

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 02:03:14 PM »
Hey Alan, I would recommend for QCM either their halftone base or their WOW base instead of the softee base. If you can still find the halftone base that is. They say it was the same thing as the WOW base they now offer but I swear it was not. But the WOW base they have does a way better job at it in my opinion than the softee base as that particular item was not meant for wow. It can be used as we have done it in the past but you will get way better results with the wow base. Just my opinion

Damn, I was told by a guy at qcm that the softee was the best thing to use to turn the xolb ink into WOW inks and help any ink to become better at wow printing.  He told me that the WOW series was xolb with softee base.  I remember having a batch of softee base and it was fairly thick, almost like soft hand base and the next gallon I got in was basically like water and wasn't remotely close in consistency and body as the first gallon I got.  I really like the qcm inks but the drastic changes from batch to batch is hard to deal with.
[/quote]

Hey Alan,

I don't know who told you that the WOW inks are basically the XOLB with Softee added to them, but that info is FAR from correct.

They are both different chemistry.  There are several components in XOLB that you do not have in WOW.  Components that help with opacity, flashing, and ink "support" that are not designed for wet on wet printing.  That is why the XOLB is an amazing manual/flashing ink.  Also why it does matter what ink you use for long term wet on wet printing success.Now, if you add either the WOW halftone base, that Brandon suggested, or the softee base to an XOLB ink, you WILL extend the length of time the ink can print wet on wet before you begin to see build up on the back of succeeding screens.  Think of it as adding some WD-40 to your ink to lube it up before you wrestle with it ;) 

As for which base to add to the ink: If you want to keep the same ink consistancy, use the halftone base.  If you want the ink to relax a bit more, drive into the garment and feel softer, use the Softee base. 

Just remember:  The "softer" or "more relaxed" an ink is, the more the ink will spread out and create a bigger dot gain i.e. the dot shape will not stay the same, it will look mushy.  Also, if you happen to print/flash/print a design with an ink like that, the edges will not remain as sharp and crisp.

As a nod to the higher tension recomendations:  Higher tension screens do not allow much contact with the ink on the garment resulting in lower amounts of ink pick up, as Frog mentioned. 

Alan, I remember the batch of softee you are talking about.  Has Rutland been any more consistant in your opinion?

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 02:07:22 PM »
I agree with brandon regarding qcm, wow clear base is the way to go. I used to keep tons of that stuff on hand.

You can cut just a little softee in the wow base too. Straight softee as extender works but will not hold dot shape as well and will under perform by comparison over a ub especially. I also think the softee can be overly glossy in situations like this.

As most of you know this is speaking from past experience, we ditched qcm a year ago.  No time to deal with the inconsistencies.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »
Ok jinx, colin just said the exact same thing pretty much.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 02:19:37 PM »
Lol Chris.  Guess I owe you a soda then :)

I agree on the softee add that you mentioned.  When choosing an ink that has been extended with Softee Base, then printing that ink over a base plate, it can have a higher gloss than an unmodified ink will.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
fwiw, I am trying to order the WOW halftone base and my rep at Axiom says it's discontinued.  Does the qcm 109 print better wow than the 158 unmodified?  If I add softee to it will it gain a little more performance on the cleaning off screens mid run?

I had a run of butt-reg 5 color shirts with 3 shades of grey that I made from 158, softee and touch of black, and I had to clean the bottoms of the screens every 40 shirts or so.  I was running two flashes to try to control it but still had issues with wow screens.

Thanks!