Author Topic: Looking for a digital contact thermometer  (Read 3537 times)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Looking for a digital contact thermometer
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 01:30:27 AM »
the simple act of applying a heat transfer will give you a pretty good idea of which side of the 150 degree error you are on. Most don't have that kind of latitude!

I'm betting that the thermocouple reading is closer to accurate.

Once again though, if you are suspecting a cool spot, then accuracy may not be that mportant. Cooler is cooler. Either a gun, thermocouple, or transfer test should show you.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 07:36:24 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the donut probe, but if you need one bad enough to drop $400-500, its accurate, and pretty fast in response to temp changes. You can put the wires right on the ink deposit and watch as it rises and falls under each infra-red panel. I like toys as much as the next guy, but so far, I just can't justify one.

To find one, just Google Atkins Donut Probe, but there may be other makers. Can't seem to paste a link from this phone, sorry. Maybe I'll edit this post from a PC later with a hot link.

Edit: Just did:
here http://www.instawares.com/screen-print-donut-surface.cak-50008k.0.7.htm
or http://www.aasps.com/aa_new_web_2011_048.htm#probe
or http://www.calibratedsps.com/screenprint/screen-printing-supplies/shop-tools/measuring-devices/screen-printers-thermometer-probe-kit.html

I've considered one since my dryer is marginal for discharge work, even with just one manual press feeding it.

Have you considered just visualizing your panels to see if they all "glow" alike? Indulge this farm boy a little "barn yard physics" but if they all look alike, they are all working alike, no???

Try this: turn on the dryer in question first thing in the morning, and just before it hits the target temperature, look at your panels. The elements are gonna glow in the dark. Mine has 4 panels, yours might be different, but I just use a mirror taped to a 4 foot aluminum rule in the darkened printing room. The panels are either gonna work, or they won't. Glow/no glow, get it?

In my case at least, the panels are clearly all working alike. It may or may not be easy to visualize your panels with a mirror, but its a cheap test, unless you leave your mirror in the heat too long. So be quick about it. 

I have and use 3 different laser temp guns which I shoot under the last panel (have to reach inside the dryer a little) on the image area to monitor temps on the output end of my dryer. It makes a HUGE difference how many shirts are in that sucker, and for discharge printing the dwell time is critical on my tiny dryer. It only has a 6' chamber, and would NEVER work with an auto for discharge. One of my temp guns stays in the heat press area and I don't trust it by itself. But with 3 guns, I can cross verify my readings if I'm ever in doubt. The image area you are measuring MUST be lying flat, not doubled back, or you're just wasting your time.

In the end, the only dead reliable curing test is multiple washings. We have a washer and dryer at our shop for just this purpose. (Mostly)  We use it a lot.

Stan
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:26:00 AM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:44 AM »
Skyline suggested the Donut Probe right off the bat, but he made the same mistake as you...this is for a heat press, not a belt dryer.
Coyote needs a sensor that, ideally, can be closed in the press.

Perhaps, with an Ov-Glove, one could hold the weighted cross hair "donut" on various places on the heat platen, but a simple thermocouple sensor that fits when clamped shut is, well, simpler, and safer. An exposed wire type, with no probe seems to fit the bill the best.

Heck, for someone with a donut probe, this little add-on plugs right in to the same Thermometer.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 09:22:39 AM »
Skyline suggested the Donut Probe right off the bat, but he made the same mistake as you...this is for a heat press, not a belt dryer.

Oops. Missed that, sorry. I stand corrected. Says so right there.

I have the braided rope sensor for one of my nicer Digital Multi-Meters, and you're right....that would work for a heat press. But that begs the question, would just the donut probe without the electronics ALSO work with my meter? Dunno.....

If I recall, it's a Fluke and was pretty spendy. And the banana connectors look like a similar spacing.  I'd drop $130.00 for just the probe if it would work, but not $400.00.

I'll try to read a little closer next time, Andy.  (LOVE your forum!)

Stan

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 09:57:30 AM »

Oops. Missed that, sorry. I stand corrected. Says so right there.

I have the braided rope sensor for one of my nicer Digital Multi-Meters, and you're right....that would work for a heat press. But that begs the question, would just the donut probe without the electronics ALSO work with my meter? Dunno.....

If I recall, it's a Fluke and was pretty spendy. And the banana connectors look like a similar spacing.  I'd drop $130.00 for just the probe if it would work, but not $400.00.

I'll try to read a little closer next time, Andy.  (LOVE your forum!)

Stan

The answer is yes, as long as it has the same connection. You should be, as they used to say, "In like Flynn"

And Stan, it's all good. I often blunder half cocked into a thread. It comes with enthusiastically trying to help, and with a little experience and practice, one hopes to learn to always answer with more civility and kindness and less sarcasm and "knowitallness" in general, to reduce looking like an ass when we do screw up!  ;D