Author Topic: Emulsion Color  (Read 6456 times)

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Emulsion Color
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 08:51:51 PM »
I only use pink Ulano QTX, wish I could find a blue that was as good and similar in price.  Chromo blue is WAAAYYY to expensive.
You could try Ulano SP 1211 or whatever they call it.  Developed for Russell as a replacement for QTX.  Purple in color and a good emulsion. 
FYI Xenon has a QTX like emulsion foe around$50 per gallon.  Called Plastofast. ;)
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »
Yep, like I said, although for years I justified a little extra money for a good emulsion that never let me down, it climbed higher and higher. Right now I'm happy with a red one from CCI, Prochem PFX-HV. It's priced closer to QTX,  if I remember correctly.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 09:52:53 PM »
I only pay $62 for QTX, that blue you mention is like $97 a gallon.

That has to be hot to handle, lol.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 01:32:11 AM »
I use kiwo poly plus s, a fantastic emulsion imo. Though I am pretty sure that it doesn't work for plastisol or waterbased. They do offer more expensive options in the poly plus line that will do everything, including ceramics. Anyhow, they offer it undyed (clear) and dyed (green when wet and blue on a white mesh when exposed. I understand that dyed emulsion is generally to avoid incidental light ruining the exposure, but the clear poly plus seems strange to me. The type of stencil that the user is likely to make is high detail. It could be that they realize that most of their users will be using dyed mesh already and that might take care of the light bounce?

I have another emulsion question, some of the emulsions I have tried in the past claim to be freezable. Does that mean what I think it does? Why would you freeze an emulsion?

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 06:53:37 AM »
I had a salesman lose (or at least not get) my business. He saw I had pink emulsion and he didn't, so he didn't even try to sell me anything he had. I could give a rat's a$$ what color an emulsion is. I care how it performs. Color for registration issues will go away if you have and use a good pre registration system. (We do. We don't even have registration marks on our screens.)
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »
I only pay $62 for QTX, that blue you mention is like $97 a gallon.

Chromablue $59 - Wild Side North

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »
some people are very particular about emulsion color, it's really funny.  I prefer pink, it's what I've always gone back to. 

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 09:41:20 AM »
I use kiwo poly plus s, a fantastic emulsion imo. Though I am pretty sure that it doesn't work for plastisol or waterbased. They do offer more expensive options in the poly plus line that will do everything, including ceramics. Anyhow, they offer it undyed (clear) and dyed (green when wet and blue on a white mesh when exposed. I understand that dyed emulsion is generally to avoid incidental light ruining the exposure, but the clear poly plus seems strange to me. The type of stencil that the user is likely to make is high detail. It could be that they realize that most of their users will be using dyed mesh already and that might take care of the light bounce?

I have another emulsion question, some of the emulsions I have tried in the past claim to be freezable. Does that mean what I think it does? Why would you freeze an emulsion?

I got a spiel from a salesman this spring that was the opposite of this--that the new Ulano Orange they were carrying was dyed to reduce halation on white mesh.  So what's the blue dye do? I asked like an A$$.  Wasn't any better than the Plus S (I also run)

IMO, you need dyed mesh and dyed emulsion to get the best exposures--although I've been wrong before.   :) 

I'd be curious as to whether or not there's a difference between the reduction in light scatter between colors--I mean, they dye mesh yellow or orange--the complement of the blue light you're trying to keep under control.  Why isn't yellow/orange the standard for emulsion color?  I didn't think the orange colored emulsion was any harder to register--even on orange mesh.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »
I LOVE salesmen.

"yes we can do that"... but I didn't even ask yet.  LOL

I had a few platforms in the gulf lose internet connection and when I called the head of tech support that morning he answered the phone "yes, we know we have a problem... we don't know what it is but we are working on it."  I then went in the building to talk to the bosses to let them know what was up and they were like "Yeah, Steve was just in here, he said we would be back up in an hour".

LOL... the techs don't even know what the problem is but the sales guy already promised it to be fixed in the hour.