Author Topic: I am AMAZINGLY bad at coating screens  (Read 17103 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: I am AMAZINGLY bad at coating screens
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2012, 12:05:14 AM »
Two handed here Kev, just make a jig that will hold the screen and put it against the wall. I just have not practiced enough one handed to give any sort of advice on that technique.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2012, 06:23:21 AM »
hey Thanks Dan it was very kind of you to offer that........it is very nice to feel like you can sometimes help the folks you look up to.
mooseman happy :)
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »
Still getting UBER thick deposits along the sides where the end clamps are.

I'm able to make it work but yuck... I got drips and all sorts of nasty stuff going on.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2012, 12:25:49 AM »
Are you scared of putting pressure on the mesh? The couple people I have shown are always scared they are going to break something and I just keep telling them they have to push harder. Another thing, what size frames? And what size scoop coater are you using? If your scoop is to wide that may cause a problem.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »
I pushed pretty damn hard this last time because everyone said to push till it almost broke the mesh.

I could definitely see the end caps making a profile on the backside of the mesh.

My coater is a fair amount smaller.  Too larger for long ways but kind of short for coating side to side.  I end up with almost 2" of uncoated mesh on each side.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2012, 02:07:30 AM »
Something ain't right Kevin.  If you put an extreme amount of pressure and you still get that uneven emulsion deposit on the outside versus the inside then there has to be something strange going on.  My new screen tech was getting results like you are describing and we increased her pressure and sped up her speed slightly and now the stencil is even across the mesh. One of the embroidery ops has been helping us out the last few weeks and I taught him how to coat and he was having a much heavier deposit on the outer edges and more pressure fixed his issue as well.  You should shoot a vid of ou coating so we can see what's going on.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2012, 04:29:45 AM »
Gilligan,

I didn't read every post but it sounds like you need to use less emulsion in your coater and make sure your keeping the coater flat against the screen. Are you laying the coater down so the metal blade edge and the sides of the coater is down against the screen. I use about a half to 3/4th full coater. The emulsion is refrigerator temp to make it thicker. This helps with controlling the emulsion when coating and also makes it easier to get a thicker stencil. (another reason to keep it in the refrigerator is that in my shop in the summer it gets way too hot for the emulsion)

In this video Steve (great guy) shows how he does it. (I didn't have time to make a video)

Emulsions and Screen Coating

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:48:11 AM by Screened Gear »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
Maybe too much.

I just watched that vid and Mooseman's vid again.... I am pretty sure I'm using more pressure than they were.  Maybe I'm just a pussy... very possible, I am a liberal. ;)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
take an uncoated screen and an empty coater. put the lip on there, turn the coater until the top sides ("guides" really) are touching the mesh.  now hang out there for awhile and feel what's going on.  do some dry pulls and focus on your form.  you want those guides on the coater in parallel with the screen. now, feel that drag on the dry screen and dry coater? you should be feeling some of that during actual coating.  our screens whistle a little bit while being coated just like when printing. play with the pressure and watch how the mesh moves with the coater edge.  it's not just pressure, you want that perfect shear, again, just like when printing in many ways.

now get an old bucket or a sample quart you don't want and get in there and coat until you get it right. it's frustrating but it's controllable. once angle, pressure, amount in the coater and environmental variables are in control it's just a matter of moving evenly and consistently up each screen.

...and I almost forgot, coat with safe back lighting. You'll be able to see what is going on and how your adjustments are effecting the coating.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:35:33 AM by ZooCity »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »
i bet it's that liberal-lip-wristed coating style.  ;D

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »
You mean LIMP smartass. :p

Zoo,
I do plan on getting some cheap emulsion to play with EOM, burn times, washout procedure and all those other little things that won't DIRECTLY translate to the emulsion I really use (burn times for example) but will let me get a feel for when we are doing it right once we are doing it with the "real" stuff.

Anyone got suggestions for CHEAP emulsion... if it's decent at the same time then that's just a bonus because maybe I'll find a use for it. :)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
dang you lazy fingers!!! press the keys hard enough next time!!!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »
dang you lazy fingers!!! press the keys hard enough next time!!!!

Hmm, maybe you got a little LIMP wrist in you too. ;)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
hehe.

Offline mjrprint

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »
Simple solution. We coat about 100-150 a day too.