Author Topic: Is there affordable Simulated Process Software  (Read 4101 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Is there affordable Simulated Process Software
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »

In fact, I can't really imagine even letting one of those programs select a color range for me, it seems like that alone would be too much of a loss of control.  Yet, many are rocking very good seps and prints using some of them so perhaps I need to look at it again.

ICISS and COCO actually allow you to select the colors and it will separate based on your choices. We should get Mark Coudray to post some more info on it.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline starchild

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »
I think everyone's point is valid but that's because it's our trade and the more we learn and experience, the higher our expectations..
However, we all know a consumer never really knows what they want until it's offered to them, a graphic shirt is an extension/expression of ourselves so we wear them to be seen and not looked at (besides that will come over as creepy).

Right now, old navy has a one color print of run dmc (not much in composition or print quality) for $20. The girl said "yea this shirt tight we supposed to get more in soon so you can check back for the Large" But there, on the same table about 3 or 4 columns down is a tropical print (vivid colors and everything) for $12. She replied "yea not much people into that"

We do our best because it's only natural step toward mastery of our craft, it makes our work easier and more rewarding.
But thought I should give the lowering the bar dribble for the sake of reality- the end user.

(Never mind me, I tend to ramble a lot)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
The 1 color run dmc example does not really hold much for what the print world is doing. Sure, it's an important part of the trend these days, but is only an example of (one) trend in hundreds. We have somewhere between 100 and 300 different categories that potential customers live in.
Even the scenery shirts of beach scenes in a forever21 has a place, otherwise they would not be in the store as an offering. If it dies out, then move into another design as a replacement. One store can have 20-35 different "categories" to fill. Once you go into another store in the mall, your target audience might me a store geared to the 30-60 age bracket with Tommy Bahama and Parrot Heads.

The bar was lowered about 10-15 years ago. Now, it's far more "normal". Like the movie ratings for todays TV shows. What was rated X and not allowed on cable TV is now rated R and common place.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline starchild

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
Dan, I get that..
I guess the question I was formulating is, ( including the numerous categories you stated) when does the uneducated end user, differentiate a high quality print from one that just represents their taste and fall in love with? I figure only by comparison and still a trained person will have to tell them what to look for as far as colors, gradients and composition is concerned. Are they even willing or care to digest that information (and that's if they have someone to inform them) or do they just shop for a tee? So at best, quality starts and ends with our immediate customers- the ones we print for and we are the trained person that instructs them on what a quality print is if they don't already know.

A 1 color print 2 screens if an underbase is needed- $20. A 6-8 color simulated process print with all the toppings should  take experience skill and know how- $12. So when is quality appreciated? Or is it interpreted? :-\

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
Good educated post.

I have always had an answer for this question. I have had this same discussiion with Charlie Taublieb a few times. He at one time had convinced a large retail company to print all designs using 35 lpi halftones. Lets equate this with (mediocre or middle of the road sim process) for lack of a better term.

His stance is that it's easier in product and the audience does not notice or care that the dots are large.

My stance is, that (if given the chance) to choose from a side by side comparison, they would most often, or  (9 out of 10) would choose the higher line screen halftone of a 55lpi.

I would say the same thing for mediocre sim process and high end sim process. If given the chance to see the difference, would a customer rather purchase a high end sim process print? Would it make a difference if it were right in front of them to choose from? I'd say yes.

With that said, you are correct since they will not have a comparison to choose from in the store and they are not screen print savvy. They will have one choice. If that is all they have, they will like it.

Here now, begins the real differences. In retail those who are purchasing the product (to sell) before the end user see's it, are often far more print quality savvy than the consumer and they are the ones a printer is (selling to and printing for). So, for them, it's very important and in my opinion, separates the average printer from the high end printers. Those who continue to strive for better will end up being the future printers of Forever21, Hot Topic, Kholes and JC Penny's.  These company's do eventually try out the sep programs and a percentage of them do get further in business because of them. I feel and have seen that for larger shops that have these types of retail clients, a sep program will eventually end up on a shelf or tucked way back in a filing cabinet. That is not to say that these sep programs are not helpful or will not improve your business. I'm sure they do for many printers. It's all in how you approach using it I guess. The last Co I saw using one of these programs was in the 3 million range in gross sales. I feel they were at a point where the customer base had evolved into a point of not being able to just use a sep program in my own opinion.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:41:12 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline starchild

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »
So here we go back to square one..
We as printers should always strive for a higher standard of quality..
Or we better damn well know and understand our customer base to stay relevant and competitive (while still celebrating mediocrity which is fine to.)

While there will always be an indefinite pool of clients for professionally sep'd jobs that software at the moment cannot accomplish (could you imagine Adobe putting their finest engineers to work on this?) the skill could die if kept a trade secret.

So yea there are affordable Simulated Process Software.. Some are easier to get "quality results" from than others.

Offline starchild

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 01:28:02 PM »
One more thing, having more skilled separators will not put another out of business..
It will just put mediocre separation programs to rest. The industry is just too immense..

So Dan, I guess you will make those training programs available in the near future, sell thousands of subscriptions at say $350 a pop and kick back as grand puba and let the young's do their stuff, their thing :D :D :D

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »
Not really.  ::)    Too much crap to deal with when making tutorials.  :-X