Author Topic: You know you are getting old when....  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: You know you are getting old when....
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »
My chiropractor, besides straightening out my back, also fixed a finger joint for me, and, when I had a more serious problem and no MD at the time, correctly diagnosed my problem, and hooked me up with an internist who put me in the hospital and saved me from bleeding to death internally. As he told me at the time, he had 1200 hours of anatomy, and knew his way around. That's fairly good, I'd say. Of course there are charlatans, but this guy was top notch.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
I quit printing shirts for a Chiropractor whose design included the claim that he could get you off of your prescriptions! A blanket statement like that is absurd, and can give the whole profession a black eye.
I did not find it coincidental at all that he was located on a busy street in a part of town that also includes fortune tellers and payday cash advance type shops.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
it's those types of statements from any group that really makes you wonder how legit they are.  Maybe he can lessen your use of some, or possibly eliminate the need for some, but there is no way anything other than death can make a blanket statement like that.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 12:24:51 PM »
Brad, on your Homeopathy rant, I am with you, and in fact just gave my usual spiel to a couple we met while dog walking last night.

First off, the idea that taking a small dose of any ailment that you are trying to cure is a false premise, perhaps helped along by some vaccines that do work that way.
However, in homeopathy, I have heard it described by "real" doctors as putting a mere drop of the offending substance in a swimming pool. Then taking a drop of that water and diluting it to the desired dose, rendering it, for the most part, too weak to even detect.

The standard joke is about the guy who missed one of his daily pill regimen, and suffered an overdose!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »
And the prices on those pills are outrageous.  A vial the size of a tube of chap-stick is around $8.  For sugar pills.

I've heard it's like putting a cup of salt in the atlantic ocean.  Wikipedia has a nice article on it.