Author Topic: Screen Tension...?  (Read 3035 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Screen Tension...?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »
I'd take each mesh count up to the manufacturers max recommended level, and they'll drop significantly from there depending on mesh brand.  I have 4 different manufacturers mesh that I've been stretching lately and it's really cool to see which ones lose the most tension after the first stretch and which one's actually are "low elongation" like they claim.  I stretched a few 305's the other day and brought them up to 30 newtons and came back an hour later and tightened the corner bolts and set it off to the side so it would relax a bit, and I was very surprised that a few hours later it had only lost about 2 newtons in tension.  That's a low elongation mesh, and it wasn't one of the major manufacturer's mesh either, which was why I was as surprised as I was.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: Screen Tension...?
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »
An hour is a pretty goodly amount of time to 'relax' though--I've tried 3-stage tensioning, and just kept some by the stretching table for weeks, retensioning 8-12 times (Trying to simulate a fancy stretcher long term  ;D ) and they all lose tension on that first run--less for those paid more attention to, but some nonetheless. 
Seems like you can tell how 'low elongation' mesh is by much tension does it lose on it's first print run...  all other things the same.