Author Topic: registration device that mounts on the Z bar?  (Read 6859 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: registration device that mounts on the Z bar?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »
Que flames, explosions and utter destruction. ;)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 03:29:10 PM »
Not only has this conversation got off topic... it's now in no-MAN's land!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »
Eliminate all other possibilities of mis-registration before tackling the bearings.

Before moving anything, measure all of the bearings. Add them up, divide by number of stations,
that's your average to shoot for. Remember when you move one up, the other side moves down.

I don't know how it's performed on M&R's, but on my MHM, it was easiest to index the carousel
by hand and but the index pin (lift cylinder on your press) on a hand switch to engage.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »
Eliminate all other possibilities of mis-registration before tackling the bearings.

Before moving anything, measure all of the bearings. Add them up, divide by number of stations,
that's your average to shoot for. Remember when you move one up, the other side moves down.

I don't know how it's performed on M&R's, but on my MHM, it was easiest to index the carousel
by hand and but the index pin (lift cylinder on your press) on a hand switch to engage.

That is exactly right...

Also don’t touch the press while taking readings... Keep in mind when you are measuring in thousandths of an inch you can move the pallet arm a few thousandths with just a finger...

The Z bar and reg unit must be rock solid... A good way to test that is to (Before you start) measure the first bearing... Tap the Z bar sharply with your finger... The reading will prolly change, but should settle to the same place... If not, something is loose. I usually add a couple of clamps to firm things up.

Make sure the reg tool you have is spring assisted... Manually pushing it by hand will give inconsistent results.

Assuming that you are working over the load station, you should turn the press CCW...

Be patient... It may take 2 rounds to get things right  ;)

Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »
Also...

Take off all of the forks except the one on the first head.

And when you re-install the forks make sure you level them with the table in the up position...

Using a high strength bungee cord to pull the pallet you are measuring (or changing) to head one will also give better results, but you MUST do it Every time!!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »
Its a little crude but I needed one when we moved the press, banged it out real quick. I had the aluminium,dowl and set screw laying around, had to buy the shoulder blot and bearings. I made it offset to fit my press with out it turning into a federal project. Cut the rounded part on the band saw. There is a spring that goes with it to hold the arm against the bearing.

Rich, I looked on the M&R parts store but never found it. Thanks for the part number so I can order the real deal.

Don't move the first bearing, that's your constant. If a small adjustment is needed to a bearing sometimes you can move it without loosing the lock bolt.

Remember to release the bungee cord before you drop the pallets ;)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 06:21:34 PM »
how do you know if your reg forks are shot?  when the table is up, nothing moves or shakes, we hold reg through jobs no problem. The reason I ask is the tech that set up my machine the first time said we will only get a few months out of our forks, they looked pretty worn I guess. That was 3 years ago. Should I just buy new ones to be safe? Thanks guys
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »
how do you know if your reg forks are shot?  when the table is up, nothing moves or shakes, we hold reg through jobs no problem. The reason I ask is the tech that set up my machine the first time said we will only get a few months out of our forks, they looked pretty worn I guess. That was 3 years ago. Should I just buy new ones to be safe? Thanks guys
If you are holding registration pallet to pallet there is absolutely no reason for you to try and reregister your press. Our presses are well known to hold their reg for many years if not abused. Don't do it just to learn how to do it as this could be a very expensive lesson!
Rich Hoffman

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 08:36:12 PM »
well I am taking the press down to move it to my new shop -don't you have to register it once you take the heads off and such?

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 11:10:31 PM »
well I am taking the press down to move it to my new shop -don't you have to register it once you take the heads off and such?
If the reg bearings come off with the pallet arms it has to be registered... If you don’t take them off maybe not...

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 11:22:49 PM »

If you still have good left to right registration, I would assume he was wrong...

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012, 07:48:55 AM »
if you take the heads of you will not have to register the press  on the older Gauntlets the registration bearings come off with the arm so yes you will have to register in that case. If this is your first time or even a skilled mechanic it will not be easy. I would go as far as saying donor try it without a tech on call or close by. Just a FYI.
Rich Hoffman

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »
Homer, word on the street is that you can easily move an entire 90s gauntlet without resetting reg.

for the record, I don't feel the z bar is z-like enough to justify the moniker

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
Homer, word on the street is that you can easily move an entire 90s gauntlet without resetting reg.

for the record, I don't feel the z bar is z-like enough to justify the moniker
We designed it at Z bar over a few drinks hence the name! that was my younger days of course!
Rich Hoffman

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 08:21:46 PM »

wait -what? how's that possible? here's the main issue. I don't feel my press was installed correctly the first time, so to emulate what I have now in my new location is still not ideal. . .I will succeed. . .I don't have a choice.

Plan A: get the device hooked up, make sure we understand the goal, procedure and how to get there before we loosen a bolt.

Plan B: hope to hell I can get somebody from New Buffalo to bail my tail out. -and I don't know a soul that works there, they will probably laugh at me.

Plan C: fly a tech in from where ever to do it correctly.

I do know there is a new 10/12 sportsman being installed in Buffalo in a few weeks, is there any possibility I can have that tech come to my shop -20 minutes away- when he is all done on that install? split the costs? just thinking out load here. . .

I know this is frowned upon, a bit foolish and costly,  but I must attempt to do this.