Author Topic: New Dark Room  (Read 5802 times)

Offline killergraphics

Re: New Dark Room
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
Darkrooms and age...man I feel like I've spent half my life in the red light district  ::)

Ever work in one with the round door?

Nice darkroom Alan and I 've been thinking about trying some EZ's

The way you research things I would like to know the different emulsions you are using. I think I see QTX

Thanks
Johnny

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
Yes i have worked with one that has the round door "Teleporter" and one with eight different rooms performing all the different functions; using rolling racks to transport screens from department to department. Also one with pass through door

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »
Zoo, here are some additional pics of the corner racks and how a screen can (not all will) sit without the top rack holding it on.

\

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 01:46:56 PM »
I will be stealing this idea. Thanks Alan!!! ;D
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 01:48:55 PM »
I will be stealing this idea. Thanks Alan!!! ;D

I stole it from several others, so steal it forward my friends.

I'm trying to remember where I got it from and it seems like I saw it on a video many years ago and when I saw it, I thought, "damn, why didn't I think of that?"  I know I've seen it on more than one video and shop so I owe several people credit for it, just wish I could remember who the first video was so I could credit them with it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:00:51 PM by alan802 »
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »
The logic/physics is solid.  You are technically holding the screens at and a tiny bit beyond a half way point... just on the diagonal and the back corner is the support point so it doesn't tip backwards.

The diagonal is what makes it seem odd and you have to get outside the box to come up with this stuff.  Luckily I didn't have to do that and someone else already did for us. ;)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »
This storage trick is old hat, it would be nigh impossible to track down it's originator, if there even is one and it wasn't a spontaneous conclusion by many.   

But it's new hat for roller frames, or at least to me!  I though that the screen got 'pinched' by the boards on top of it, not that they rested freely on their own and that sounded like bad ju-ju for the rollers. 

Thanks for showing this Alan. We have a standard flatness in the shop that all are frames are held to, in order of what gets adjusted to what:

expo glass>master or flat screen>roller master>all other screens >press

...so this should probably work out great if I install the 1x1 wood to match the flat screen and somewhat on the level.  The rest of the frames are a little off I'm sure but it's a negligible amount.   Looks like you installed those really well.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 10:25:42 PM »
In reality they might be better protected than in a drying rack.  Only parts that can really scrape them are in the last seconds of putting them in.  In a rack it has the slide the entire distance of the sides of the frame.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »
Okay I need to start from the beginning here now that we are switching from a dual cure (UDC2) to a single cure (Chromablue).  I have blacked out the room and now need to know what kind of light to use?

We have a drop ceiling with T12 bulbs so we could use that with the right bulbs if made or I am not opposed to just placing a lamp in the room so that we can use regular light if ever needed.

I guess my question is what kind of light is okay for the unexposed emulsion and yet provides enough visibility to coat and preregister screens?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
Okay I need to start from the beginning here now that we are switching from a dual cure (UDC2) to a single cure (Chromablue).  I have blacked out the room and now need to know what kind of light to use?

We have a drop ceiling with T12 bulbs so we could use that with the right bulbs if made or I am not opposed to just placing a lamp in the room so that we can use regular light if ever needed.

I guess my question is what kind of light is okay for the unexposed emulsion and yet provides enough visibility to coat and preregister screens?

Most T12 bulbs put off very little UV in the spectral range that effects emulsion but some can.  There are amber/yellow sleeves that are cheap and slide right over them and have black end caps.  We use those on T12 fixtures.  I would hope they've started making these for T8s buy now.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 04:13:10 PM »
They even have clear sleeves for the same purpose... not AS effective though.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 04:17:41 PM »
Okay I was mistaken, we have T8 fixtures and not T12.  What nanometer do think we need 0 transmittance under?  I can get some in the 300 and 500 range.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »

LED lights emit even less UV in the spectral range that effects emulsion then T12 bulbs. And even better you can get T8 or T12 LED tubes which last longer and are cheaper to run.
Or you can go for these beauties from Kodak http://carestream.com/PublicContent.aspx?langType=1033&id=361252

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 10:14:35 AM »
I would just like to add that I use the corner shelving idea and it is really nice. I found it when I went looking for diy drying boxes, but I agree, it must be a really old idea.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 10:30:46 AM »

LED lights emit even less UV in the spectral range that effects emulsion then T12 bulbs. And even better you can get T8 or T12 LED tubes which last longer and are cheaper to run.
Or you can go for these beauties from Kodak http://carestream.com/PublicContent.aspx?langType=1033&id=361252

That depends--you can actually get LEDS that emit (just about) only the diazo UV spectrum.  I kinda looked into this back when I was expo shopping--you can get 370nM, 400nM, and 420nM LEDS, although they aren't cheap, and they don't put out enough light to be viable cost-wise for exposing--yet.

Amber LEDS are cheap as hell though.  Could be a great idea for an inexpensive DIY project.
I don't know if I'd want red--start having film processing flashbacks.   :)