Author Topic: Should/Can we coat out in the open shop or use (dark rm environment)?  (Read 18620 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Should/Can we coat out in the open shop or use (dark rm environment)?
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2012, 11:45:13 PM »
I decided to post up the two photos taken, if any one wants to see a non blurry one I can accommodate but I think even tho it is blurry it is still good enough to see how well it developed.

First is the 260 screen coated in a normal flourescent lit shop with some day light leaking in.

This one is a 260 coated one week before the first in a safe light room and stored beneath a shelf out of any direct.
"No man is an island"

Offline RichardGreaves

• Verified/Junior
  • How are you measuring?
Do you mean the classic Autotype Exposure Calculator?
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2012, 11:45:32 PM »
Inkman996.

Do you mean the classic Autotype Exposure Calculator when you write "macdermid calc"?
I worked on the re-design in the early 1990's.

Have they changed it in the last 3 years?

Screen printing since 1979 - SGIA Academy Member
ex Stretch Devices General Manager ex Lawson Supply Director
ex Screen Printing columnist 1985-1995  ex Printwear Technical Editor 1995-1999
retired Ulano Technical Product Manager
Wyandotte, MI  646-807-8580 rgreaves@gmail.com

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2012, 11:50:30 PM »
"No man is an island"

Offline RichardGreaves

• Verified/Junior
  • How are you measuring?
Gold fluorescent lamps
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2012, 11:57:27 PM »
Yellow Lamps
I've been in 6 emulsion factories. They all process, pour and package under gold fluorescent lamps.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2012, 12:06:32 AM »
I'll get you some of those donuts some how, some way, some day, it's a promise.

I'm sure those donuts would be stale by now!

If you are ever passing down I-10 through Lafayette, LA look me up... I will ruin every other donut you will ever have by giving you the pleasure of a Meche's donut.  Practically melts in your mouth, oh I need me some Meche's now!

Offline RichardGreaves

• Verified/Junior
  • How are you measuring?
Mmmmm Donuts!
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2012, 12:17:44 AM »
If you are ever passing down I-10 through Lafayette, LA look me up... I will ruin every other donut you will ever have by giving you the pleasure of a Meche's donut.  Practically melts in your mouth, oh I need me some Meche's now!

I have been to Kaplan, LA (via Lafayette) many times, and once participated in the Mardi Gras parade. As I don't drink alcohol, I do remember the fantastic donuts the motel owner recommended. Everyone seemed to smirk at my odd Northern ways, but I'm afraid I must insist you bring some to Las Vegas for the SGIA Show.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:21:19 AM by RichardGreaves »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2012, 12:30:10 AM »
I've thought about trying to go to that show... still not sure it makes sense logistically.

Besides, the donuts wouldn't be fresh and there is a HUGE difference between a FRESH HOT Meche's donut and well... anything else including a Meche's donut that isn't hot and fresh.  When the heat leaves, the magic leaves.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »
Hmm... thanks BUT, I was wondering about Mr. 99.999999999% UV proof guy's lights. ;)

We know that all lights have SOME UV, hence why they sell UV blocking sleeves for these.  I've just heard that the clear ones are OK, but don't block all of it (can go a few days like you had) and the amber ones can go a couple weeks as they block more.  I'm sure there are red ones that do even better but I can't say really as I haven't heard anything about them.

I wonder if anyone makes UV blocking sheets (clear) that I can lay in my fluorescent panels vs buying a bazillion little tubes.

Just get a couple of sq. ft of this stuff. Cut it down to size and you are sorted. We have used a similar product which worked just fine.
http://www.snaptint.com/product.php?productid=16192

Just wanted to dig this up and follow up on it.

I got some samples of the snaptint stuff and laid it under a corner of my exposure unit staggered the 4 sheets that the sent me.  When I washed out I put the garden hose on jet (how I develop my exposed screens) and I hammered on that corner (about 16 square inches) where I had laid those sheets AFTER I developed the rest of the screen and didn't get a single bit of emulsion breaking down.

So I'd have to say that whatever UV these sheets are blocking have NOTHING to do with our emulsion. :(

35 light units on an older MSP 3140.

Still looking for sheets because I have SIX 2x4 panels in my production area that hold four T8 bulbs each.  :(

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »
Gilligan, if your panels have diffusers on them, I've got a roll of 24" wide Rubylith I'll sell you for real cheap, to cover them. It'll give off a nice safelight red glow. :D

As Mr. Greaves stated about the yellow light that's probably the best bet.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »
LOL... if it was only a small room, I'd take you up on that... but this is the entire production area.

My guy would come out all messed up if I left him in red lights that long. :)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2012, 09:39:36 PM »
fluorescent lights aren't that bad for screens.  I wouldn't worry about it unless you get a lot of sunlight.  You could always do a type of curtain.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2012, 09:01:43 AM »
My screen dept is overkill perhaps but is divided up into seven different rooms (and four different sinks); each with its own environmental properties. I think Richard might have said it best when he said we have some areas where the atmosphere is similar to the Amazon and others where it needs to be more like the Sahara.
Which is why each has it's own light, temperature, humidity, and air filtration requirements and are isolated from each other. This, to me, will yield optimum results and remove questionable variables from the equation.
That said when I was visiting a shop on St Thomas where they exposed with sunlight I asked
"What do you do when it rains?"
The response was............wait for it........"Something else"