Author Topic: Bulb removal process to determine Watt amperege?  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Watt amperege for this VIDAR dryer??
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 12:05:37 PM »
I thought he was in California actually.

I know, you know who's website is perpetrating like he is good buds with him (possibly suggesting worse) and list his address as Cali.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »
I thought he was in California actually.

I know, you know who's website is perpetrating like he is good buds with him (possibly suggesting worse) and list his address as Cali.

Winston is in Jacksonville.
As for "you know who" implying a strong relationship with him, hell, if you were a major dude, "you know who" would talk about the time that you worked together on an install!
Besides, even if Winston could handle being around "you know who" on occasion, he still will very likely have the answers for Dan.

At any rate, let's not let this thread degenerate any further.  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »
Gotcha...

I know there is no real relationship there and I know how he works.  I was just giving the reasons why I thought Winston was in Cali.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Bulb removal process to determine Watt amperege?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »
Ok. I took the cap (casing off and still can't get to the bulbs. I must be missing something as this is just not an easy task, like they designed it thinking you'd never had to replace a bulb. I'm able ot raise it up about 3-4" off the base to get more access to the bulbs but still hard to see. I know someones laughing now saying, Dot-Tones don't know what the heck he's doing. You're right. LOL. Can't see any numbers.

Guess I'm going to have to take out a bulb or two but guess what? They seem stuck.
The wing nut is connected to/rusted to the wire and seems to pull/twist the wire. Then, if I do twist a wing nut, the porcelain end cap seems to maybe twist and I'm afraid of breaking them. Sooo,  does it look like I need to do something else?  I can't see getting these out unless I take a wing nut off. Sprayed with wd40 but same thing. Still twisting everything.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »
Dump it and buy the vastex dryer I posted from someone on eBay.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »

Why, doe sit look that bad?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Bulb removal process to determine Watt amperege?
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »
I had an old dryer like this, it isn't that bad.  Soak it overnight with either wd or PB blaster.  a couple hours won't do it.

Don't twist those caps...you will damage the rods.

Those things don't go out often...and when they do they are easy to see when they are out.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 10:50:05 PM »

No I'm just newer generation, you know the type that buys something new instead of fixing.

Online blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:51 AM »

if I was you, I'd get a Mac!!!!  ;D

'kidding aside, you can get a decent dryer for not a lot of money. I would scrap what you have and use the scrap metal money towards something better. Older dryers require tinkering and that is just no you. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
that's true.  even some of the new dryers aren't too pricey.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »
It might be best to cut your losses. Some folks love to take things apart and fix them, but if it's not your strong point, you can waste a lot of time, I know, it's not my strongest point, and I've wasted tons of time that way. It was still fun though... even last night I had an old Fender Duo-Sonic apart so I could check out the wiring as I get ready to fix it up. I have to stare and stare at stuff like this until suddenly, it all makes sense. Don't eat up all of your time on it.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
Ok. I took the cap (casing off and still can't get to the bulbs. I must be missing something as this is just not an easy task, like they designed it thinking you'd never had to replace a bulb. I'm able ot raise it up about 3-4" off the base to get more access to the bulbs but still hard to see. I know someones laughing now saying, Dot-Tones don't know what the heck he's doing. You're right. LOL. Can't see any numbers.

Guess I'm going to have to take out a bulb or two but guess what? They seem stuck.
The wing nut is connected to/rusted to the wire and seems to pull/twist the wire. Then, if I do twist a wing nut, the porcelain end cap seems to maybe twist and I'm afraid of breaking them. Sooo,  does it look like I need to do something else?  I can't see getting these out unless I take a wing nut off. Sprayed with wd40 but same thing. Still twisting everything.

If you must get one of them bulbs out, you need to find a slim open ended wrench to put on the nut while you turn the wing nut. Otherwise it looks like you will snap something for sure.
"No man is an island"

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 11:06:35 AM »
If it's between 13-16 MM measurement, you can get a cheap cone wrench at a bike shop that should hold it well enough.  And JB penetrating oil is great stuff--if WD-40 or PB blaster doesn't do it.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
Hmmmm.  The whole reason for my needing to open this thing up is because I can't locate anything about how many amps it takes (so i can get 220 hooked up with proper amperage).  I haven't even had this thing turned on at all (ever) because I don't have 220 in the garage. So, I don't even know if it works or works properly.

I'd just put it all back together and plug it in to see, but the electrician says he needs to know what amperage it takes.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 12:43:46 PM »
i would try and find a supplier of those bulbs, then see if they know what that unit takes....might be a good place to start