Author Topic: printed my first job on the auto- came out horrible  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
printed my first job on the auto- came out horrible
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
I seriously want to throw the towel in right now. I ran a job of 150 shirts on the auto last night. My first time printing with the auto. 2 color front (pink and teal) on black tees. I used opaque inks and print-flash printed each color. I know that way made the job take way longer time wise, but I did not want to play with an underbase on my first run. I was hoping for less variables to need to fine tune. I used 160 mesh Newmans 32n and triple duro squeegees. These shirts look like pure crap. These are almost as bad as the first job I ever printed on a manual. I honestly do not know how I am going to give these to the customer tomorrow (event is Sunday), let alone charge them.

I do not even know where to begin to ask for help. But the colors covered awful and the pink ink kept creeping under the screen where I would have to constantly wipe the under side of the screen. So the end result was a very muddy spotty looking print.

So I guess my first question is why would I have the ink building up so bad beneath the screen? When printing manually it would usually be from too low of a squeegee angle. But I really played around to find what setting would give me the most opaque smooth print I could.

Anyways, I am totally lost right now. I don't know what I should be adjusting. Is there any kind of a troubleshooting guide for auto printers out there?

I am going to head back to the shop now. It was a late night and I hope I was being over critical. But they are definitely not the same quality as when I print on the manual.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: printed my first job on the auto- came out horrible
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:14:29 AM »
I think that's par for the course. I could not get the white ink down for ever! 'kept thinking I was going backwards with the print quality.

you will get there, give it some time. In the meanwhile, do what needs to be done, which ever way you can. It would not hurt to contact somebody who knows the press (BBB actually joined here) and ask some questions. At least there are plenty of Anatol owners/reps around.

hang in!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:16:45 AM »
Hey buddy, didn't you do a test print?

If the test looked like crap why did you keep going..?

maybe you should have saved the first run for during the week when you could have replaced the shirts at least instead of the situation that has occurred..

I'm sorry I know I am not helping any and you already know this.

you could always try to get ahold of some shirts somehow and redo on the manual..

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
Yes it is almost like learning all over again.

Its hard to get in the mind set to use the higher meshes.

Sounds like the squeegee pressure was to much for 1 thing.

If you have to "160" ink deposit and hit the next color the next color squeegee...pancakes the last color on the shirt and spread it out.

Then you get blurred and pop. I hate pop. Get some Pam cooking spray or silicon spray and spray the printside of the screens and just pat dry.

I would never try to print pink on darks with out an underbase. Even after the shirt comes out the other end of the dryer (for me anyway) still gases to a different color

in the next hour or 2.

I call it auto frustration.

There are many days that an auto job starts to print right on the last shirt.

The hardest thing for me is to take the time to heat up the tables first...MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Then the phone rings and you have to start all over again.

Yes heat up again.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
First I hope the shirts weren't 50/50's.
I know you said you didn't want to mess with an UB, but I doubt I would do it any other way.
Here's my thought process on this, and I'll assume you have one flash.
I'd look at the UB and determine the lowest mesh count that can hold the amount of detail in the design (lowest within reason, 110 max probably).
Then I would look at the amount of coverage on the two overprinting colors as well as make a judgement as which of the two is the least translucent color.  I'd choose the lowest coverage and/or most opaque of the colors to go down on the base first.
I'd put the first color down on the base through a finer mesh like 230 maybe, the second on a more open mesh if needed for coverage or opacity, like a 160 or thereabouts.
I'd put the 230 color on a the head right after the flash and the other a couple heads later to allow cooling, and make sure the pallets are very warm, hot before starting.  I'd run a round of defectives to make sure the ink in the print that's getting stepped on does not smear or stick excessively on the last screen.  Fine tune your squeegee pressure/angles to bear minimum, steeper anlges mean less ink down, less smearing.
We use this method daily, but you do need an ink that won't build up too badly.  Wilflex MX ink is what we'd use for the colors.  I'm not saying this is the only way to do it, but what works very well for us.  Keep trying, you'll get it.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:31:16 AM »
Underbase....Underbase.... Underbase. I know its too late now but you have to base a pink on a black shirt. There is no way to make that look good without it. That sucks you have the situation your in but you would have been better off stopping and adding a base to the print.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 11:46:51 AM »
Don't be afraid to base or reduce the inks down some.

And it even helps you use a higher mesh.

You get a cleaner break or shear of the ink load in the screen.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »
I don't have an auto, so I should not even be typing on this thread, but the one thing that caught my eye was -

the pink ink kept creeping under the screen where I would have to constantly wipe the under side of the screen

Could that be from too hard (or too steep angle) on the flood stroke?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »
Oh man, that sucks. Best scenario, like the other folks, 160 white base, choked around the edges so it doesn't peek out from under the pink and teal, flashed, teal 2nd (because it's darker and doesn't need a flash) then the pink. The pink stays bright because it doesn't get stepped on, and the teal should be fine even stepped on without a flash. At least it works here that way. Top colors on 230, maybe as low as 200, but that's starting to get thick. So sorry bud...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
Hi guys,

OK, so I am looking at the shirts again. They are not as bad as I thought. Or are they? They are definitely not on to par to with my standard quality. Now I am trying to determine how passable are they, do I offer the customer a discount, etc.

I think the biggest issue may be no underbase.

I am going to pop the screens on the manual and see how they print. I have p-f-p these colors on the manual before for one color stuff and they usually look great. But, that may help me determine where the issue is stemming from.

Here is how I printed this, and yes, I know this is crazy, but... pink p-f-p-f teal p-f-p. So, yes you are reading this correct, I sent it around 4 times. My reasoning was I don't care how long it takes, I just want to get my feet wet and no under base eliminates a factor.

In hindsight I should have printed them on the manual and waited for a job being printed on lights, but too late for that now. At first I didn't think they looked that bad, but after I was very disappointed.

So I guess my first question for going forward is where should I have flood stroke angle, speed and pressure.

Squeegee angle, pressure and speed.

So it looks like I have 2 main factors; squeegee and flood. Which is the more important variable to play with first?

Also, how do I adjust squeegee pressure? Anatol horizon (all air). The chopper cylinder turns, one on each side but which way adds more pressure? The tech told me to start at 10 and adjust from there. I am assuming the higher the number the more pressure?

Pierre, That is great that Bill (bbb) is on here! He is a great guy and no one would know that press better than him! I will definitely be in touch with him soon.

Side thought, I was thinking about starting a 'manual to auto' thread  to consolidate all my millions of future questions in. In think this could serve as a nice reference thread down the line for anyone who is making that transition and i would all be in one place. Good idea? Bad idea?

Please keep the feedback coming!

Thanks guys (and gals)!

Shane

Offline Clark

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, my first job on an auto was a 6 color front, 6 color back on dark shirts with two flashes.  400 pieces, and about 100 of them weren't passable.  I drove 6 hours to deliver, then drove 8 hours back stopping at two suppliers to pick up f'ed up shirts, came back to the shop, printed the replacements and drove 6 hours back to deliver them.  It gets better quickly.  Took me about two weeks to get somewhat comfortable printing on an auto...and even to this day, I find it more difficult than manual printing.  But thats mainly because mine is out of whack right now.

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »
Rightie tightie...leftie loosie

In most cases

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, my first job on an auto was a 6 color front, 6 color back on dark shirts with two flashes.  400 pieces, and about 100 of them weren't passable.  I drove 6 hours to deliver, then drove 8 hours back stopping at two suppliers to pick up f'ed up shirts, came back to the shop, printed the replacements and drove 6 hours back to deliver them. 

WOW!!!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 02:09:42 PM »
My first auto job was a 6 color on black. Had all the wrong meshes and did not look good either.

I still hear that pop in my sleep. :-*

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »
I just want to get my feet wet and no under base eliminates a factor.

Heres where you went wrong. You did not eliminate a factor you caused several more that do not work for you. Most of the time taking the shortcut bites you in the ass. Had you set it up properly it would have been one trip around with a nice print.

What you can do is go on youtube and watch how some of the autos are printing. You can get a feeling of speed, angles and pressure. If you know the mechanics behind printing you will get it down pretty quickly.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin