Author Topic: Another how to print  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Another how to print
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »
This one is pretty simple and basic.

My questions is, which should I print first black or white?  Choke/trap which way and is that a problem when doing wet on wet?

These are going on some dri-fit t-shirts T473's and I don't think I'll need to under base them and I'm hoping to not PFP.

Oh shizzle, this did just get more complicated...  This will be Maroon.  What white ink should I use... bleed will be a problem won't it?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Another how to print
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »
I would print black first, then ploy white, flash then poly white again.  On maroon, put choke the white or black back .5pt, you will never see the maroon between the 2 colors, but you will really notice it if the white and black are smeared together.

Use a low build black, some build up like crazy, others don't.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:38:15 PM »
pfpf the white and then black butt registration screw trapping and choking. tight screens and a tight press

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:06:22 PM »
I would print black first, then ploy white, flash then poly white again.  On maroon, put choke the white or black back .5pt, you will never see the maroon between the 2 colors, but you will really notice it if the white and black are smeared together.

Use a low build black, some build up like crazy, others don't.

That's how I'd do it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:17:16 PM »
So wait... choke what how where?  You said white OR black but then you mentioned smear.

Do you mean give it a .5 pt gap?

This print will be small it's a left chest.

Man, I just realized I didn't even post the damn image... boy I'm good like that.  Sure no one needs a computer "expert" around here? ;)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »
I'd do nut to butt registration on that.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:08:04 PM »
you can leave a slight gap because you will never see a small maroon outline between the black and white.

I would not PFPF the white, that is an extra flash in there that is unnecessary.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »
Here is another option. Not the best way to do it but if your press is a little sloppy may be the way to go. Print the white as an underbase for the black and the white of the design. Flash, print white again with same screen, flash then print black on top of the white.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »
If it's a short run I'd do a small trap and flash the black as well as the white. The small amount of additional time for the flash (on a short run) will make the job faster to register. If it's a long run I'd choke the black .5 (resulting in a .25 pt gap) and print the black first.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 11:51:16 AM »
On poly garments it can look strange to have one color (the black in this case) right on the garment
and the white high and possibly glossy. Not that anyone except us t-shirt nerds would ever notice but
these things keep me awake at night.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »
On poly garments it can look strange to have one color (the black in this case) right on the garment
and the white high and possibly glossy.

This is true...Might be better to overprint black in this case. This is a good example of the fact that every job is different. Fabric, design, ink coverage, etc. etc. can vary so much that there is never one correct way to do something.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »
flashing black on a drifit is asking for trouble.  the black will burn a hole in the shirt before it will flash.  IMO!  just sayin.  I would never flash black on a drifit shirt.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
Standard procedure for us is to use a gutter between the black and the white because there is always the possibility for shrinkage from the flash. We have no problem flashing 100% poly using the best times and dwell its a non issue and gives the best results.

I use gutters all the time it helps with edge crispness especially when doing multiple top colors over a white underbase any where the colors but reg.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
huh, if it burns a hole in the garment to flash it, how can you cure it?

it doesn't need to flash, only the white does, putting the black before the white will eliminate an extra flash

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
I never have printed on those type of garments
but I imagine is like printing on nylon jerseys
even if the press can hold tight regis
i would allow for a small gap between black and white plates
thus avoiding possible color contamination or bleeding into each other 
just a thought
Gabe