Author Topic: WANTED - Washout booth (preferrably with backlight).  (Read 11938 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
WANTED - Washout booth (preferrably with backlight).
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:34:03 AM »
OR, one that I could modify to HAVE a back light.

I'm open to DIY (as most might know)... After having a DIY booth I wonder if some of my frustrations would go away with a "real" one.

Open to any and all suggestions, I'm located in Lafayette, LA so the closer the better but I'm not opposed to shipping either.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: WANTED - Washout booth (preferrably with backlight).
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:46:28 AM »
have you looked at using an old shower stall?

killer has a nice one

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 07:49:52 AM »
Here is how I built mine. It was around $250.

Here is the link for Polypropylene sheets
http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/polypropylenesheetonequarterinchthick.html

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 08:09:42 AM »
I did buy a used stainless unit for $500, included a backlight.  I made some changes that make life so much easier.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 08:38:29 AM »
cheap shower unit from home store, 3 utility lights, 2x4 lumber, plexi glass
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x296/copdaddy/100_0830.jpg
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:53:09 AM »
moose, that looks great, the only thing I would have done was put a light diffuser behind the plexi

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/polypropylenesheetonequarterinchthick.html

DK, did you plastic weld those panels, just caulk them, or what?

What was shipping on those panels?  Is there a reason you didn't put a top on the booth?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »

DK, did you plastic weld those panels, just caulk them, or what?

What was shipping on those panels?  Is there a reason you didn't put a top on the booth?

Just caulk. I do not remember the shipping, I think $20. But they are only about 30 miles away from me (No pick-up unfortunately).
Top, I needed one more panel for that, and I was short on money :)

I will add something to the top when I get time, probably not polypropylene, right now all I have is piece of plastic.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »
Cool, just checking.  I'm sure shipping will be more for me then as I'm not as close as you are.

I've seen some people put a "drip bar" on the top... doesn't that cause umm, dripping.  I've been thinking that if I did one I'd make it an arch so that the water would have a tendency to run to the sides.  My only concern is that it would need to be as smooth as possible or it would still cause drips.  OR, do they put in some sort of lip/gutter on the backside to keep the water from dripping.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 01:06:38 PM »
Wish you were closer to Iowa (I know, Where the hell is Iowa?). I have one that I can't give away. It's 5-6' wide aluminum, but not back lit. Oh well, I guess I keep holding on to it until I find someone that wants it (hint hint)
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »
I could fit that thing in my space.. I have a 6' wide spot for it.

Hmm, sending PM.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
http://www.thegarciaslife.com/index.php/site/garticles/do-it-yourself_washout_booth_for_screen_printing/
Im going to be doing one something like this one. you can find them for $50-100 on Craigs list

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »
http://www.thegarciaslife.com/index.php/site/garticles/do-it-yourself_washout_booth_for_screen_printing/
Im going to be doing one something like this one. you can find them for $50-100 on Craigs list

LOL... that is EXACTLY what I have now.  I followed that site to the T.

It has worked well... it's a little deeper than I would like.  But it won't fit in anyway in my new place.  35" door opening keeps you from getting a 42"+ booth in there. ;)

The only thing I REALLY don't like about it is that the center of the top sags, which means it drips down right in the center.  You could probably get clever and work around it... but I haven't.

I picked mine up for like $60 bucks on craigslist.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »
moose, that looks great, the only thing I would have done was put a light diffuser behind the plexi

HA after about 3 weeks use there is enough crud and stuff on the plexi to diffuse a laser beam.
Actually a little 240 grit silicon carbide paper and some elbow grease works just fine to do that right up front.
We later added a treated lumber frame inside the booth to accept the plexi replacements ...they don't last for ever. Also we added a PVC bar kinda just like a towel rack across the plexi to rest the screen against to help save the plexi.
Get about 2 years from each sheet of plexi before they are completely cracked to beat hell.
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »

For some reason I cant view your pictures....