Author Topic: Two screen Underbase....for Mark C  (Read 1908 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Two screen Underbase....for Mark C
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:29:46 PM »
Hi Mark.......years ago you sepped a job for me in LA. It was Mario Broos or something; sim process on black on a 14 color press. This was the only time I was ever given two underbase white screens. A 355 ultra high detail and a lower detail maybe 230 printed second wet on wet. Then flashed with about ten spots. 65 LPI. The intention was to create the brightest values of white where needed (lower mesh) while insuring the subtler values of white resulting in superior shades and tints of subsequent colors (higher mesh).
The graphic (from Pixar?)had an insane amount of colors and it was all up to the underbase to do the work. We were pretty amazed at the outcome....certainly the nicest piece I had done up to that time. First kudos to you for coming up with that solution; second I'm curious as to how often thats done.
Oh and a sign of the times I believe the seps cost $1,100!
Best tp

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Two screen Underbase....for Mark C
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »
The award winning print we did with Dan's help used two underbases. Both were on 330 "S" mesh though. First one printed what would have been a regular underbase on a 230 and the second one was just the big areas of white. First screen had halftones down to 3% at 58lpi, the next one started at a much higher number (30-40? can't remember).

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Two screen Underbase....for Mark C
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »
This was the only time I was ever given two underbase white screens. A 355 ultra high detail and a lower detail maybe 230 printed second wet on wet. Then flashed with about ten spots. 65 LPI.

I remember a few of our Netseps stuff back then also had 2 whites. Worked awesome!
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services