Author Topic: any quitting smoking tips?  (Read 7821 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
any quitting smoking tips?
« on: May 19, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »
So I'm coming up on my 37th birthday on the 30th and it has me thinking of putting more effort into quitting. I have tried gum, the e-cig and cold turkey. The most effective so far has been the gum which allows me 2 whole days of smoke free freedom. I have been smoking off and on for 27 years and I actually support the higher taxes on cigs. Hell if they were $10 bucks a pack my cheap ass wouldn't buy em. But I still can get them for about $3.50 a pack so it makes it easy to keep going.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: any quitting smoking tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »
Oh and I'm not a heavy smoker just steady. I average about 10-14 smokes a day.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
My buddy got on some med that made him super sick when he would smoke and that pretty much did it for him.

Basically think A Clockwork Orange type of conditioning.  Messed up but, effective.

One thing you could do is pretend it IS $10 bucks a pack.  When you buy a pack take the other $6.50 and put it in a savings account for your kid or just plain give it to your kid.  I know I love my kid but I don't want to just be giving her $6.50/day because I would want to smoke!  LOL  If that doesn't work give the $6.50 to a cause you don't like at all... that way it is truly a terrible tax on you.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »
I see the commercials about Chantix but my wife is paranoid about the side effects like suicidal thoughts etc etc. My old boss use to tell me the same thing to match the money each time I bought a pack and put it aside. Never tried it though. I wonder if hypnotism works

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »
"Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I have done it a million times." -Mark Twain

Though I am pretty sure it is rare, I do know a girl that came close to a homicidal rampage while on Chantix. The feelings she described were frightening to say the least.

Cold turkey and will power and not being around other smokers. But you have to want to quit. One of my buddies makes no qualms about it, he loves smoking and will likely never quit.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »
I think that's the bad part with me. I actually enjoy smoking but I know it's not good for me. Homicidal rampage? Dang I don't think my wife would like that.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »
I did something kinda like cold turkey, but not quite--every time I wanted a smoke, I told myself I'd get one more thing done--whether it was at work, at home, going for a bike ride, whatever.  "Put yourself off" kinda therapy.  The weird thing is, for me, it was only a few days before I'd put it off, and when I was done with whatever I was putting if off with, I didn't really feel like I needed to have a cigarette. 

As mentioned, the tough part is convincing yourself you don't really want to smoke--I think I'm just really good at brainwashing myself.   ;)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:41:13 PM »
2.5 years ago I did it with patches. Used patches for two weeks and when I realized that I was forgetting to put them on, I realized I do not need them I stopped using them two weeks in.
Never thought about smoking since.

I think that if you are not 100% ready, nothing will help you.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 04:59:55 PM »
NEVER EVER FOREVER pick up another one after you "think" you're good to go.  NEVER.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 05:01:54 PM »
my father in law smoked for 52 years...i HATE smoke....nasty nasty....so I told him if he wanted us to come over ( we moved back to the area ) then he would have to quit...my wife sent him to a hypnotist...he has not smoked in 7 yrs....

sam

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
Go watch someone gasp for air from emphysema in an emergency room, begging for help. Especially someone you know.
After 20 years of a pack and a half a day habit, I never picked up another one.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »
Yeah, I don't have an addictive personality so it's kind of easy for me to say "quit already".  I also have not been chemically dependent on anything other than caffeine and I just gave that up while I was down with the flu for a couple of days.  I realized I hadn't had any in a couple of days (due to all the juice I was drinking and medication to keep my "comfortable" and said "now is as good of a time as any to give it up).

I've quit many things that I just decided or thought weren't good for me.  I quit drinking DP when I thought it was the cause of my stomach problems (I was wrong but still have no desire to drink it any longer and I used to love it).  Gave up caffeine and ergo Mountain Dew (though I still love the taste of MD I don't ever drink it.)  Most things I've given up I rarely have a desire to have them again, the taste buds acclimate to the change.

With the recent diet I have given up soda's and lemonade almost entirely.  I subbed it with carbonated water and Mio and some "Sparkling Ice" that I found and like a lot.  I still have a love for carbonation and if I really had a true reason to give it up, I'm sure I could.

I just wish I could do the opposite.

I wish I could make myself learn to like foods and drinks that I don't like.  I don't drink really ANY water and don't like most vegetables... If I could learn to like the things I should like I can drop the things I shouldn't have I'd be a lean mean healthy machine. :)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »
NEVER EVER FOREVER pick up another one after you "think" you're good to go.  NEVER.

You got that right. After quitting for 23 years, I know damn well never to stick another one in my mouth. I'd be back to my old routine in a week.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »
I am with sam, but I feel bad for those trying to quit.  I would see a hypnotist as well, what will it cost, $100, $200, that is cheaper than patches or gum for a month(maybe?)

I would try anything personally, shoot, I'd even try acupuncture.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
Gerry just put on your big girl panties and do it. After a few days its no longer physical just in your head.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin