Author Topic: this is the design with the white glare im trying to recreate  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

been trying to get this white glare in coreldraw x5. Still can't figure it out..I've attached the image so you can see what I'm, talking about. I have created the bevel and I can handle the gradient circle (i hope)....but the white highlight on the bevel is kicking my butt...how can this be done?

Mark

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: this is the design with the white glare im trying to recreate
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
That is a Bevel and Emboss effect in Illustrator, it should be something similar in Corel

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »
Something like this?

Or have I missed the objective?

=======================================================================

If that's in the direction you're trying to go, the circle "Blend" is done by drawing one circle of Dark Blue.  Then put a really, really small circle of another color in the dead center of the Blue Circle.  I used white which may be brighter than desired.  Probably a more subdued near Light Blue perhaps for the center circle.

Then select both circles and use the "Blend" Docker, Steps, and and I used about 250 Steps and apply.

=======================================================================

The last Circle pic was done with a Blue for the Large and then a 20% of the same Blue for the tiny one in the middle that was then Blended.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:50:25 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »
No, it's the bevel on the text itself that is giving him trouble
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gilda Radner Nevermind
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:55:19 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »
He needs one of the "car" guys to weigh in to tell how they add those glare highlights to the chrome.

LeMorris, you around??

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »
what I would do is copy the text, turn the text black and into an RGB jpg with a transparent background.  take it into photopaint and use the effects>texture>plastic and find the settings that work best.  invert the image and use the curves to adjust the gray to white so that only your highlights are black.  Bring it back into corel and up the dpi to 600 and then convert it to a black and white jpg with halftone settings, or you can use the Advanced Artist tool for making a monochrome bitmap

I hope this isn't confusing.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »
Just make to bevels on the text, first one with the dark shadows break apart then do the second one with the light shadows and opposite direction. The you have to apply a transparency to the top one using the "add" layer property, I believe add or could be a different one just test different ones, then simply adjust the transperancy slider you should be able to get it. As I said before tho this process is horrible in Corel, then you wtill need to be able to print it.
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 10:51:54 AM »
 Go to your Gradient tool box in Illy and play around with your radial and then do a transparency of the blue color to get that nice glare on top of a base white.  The transparency gives you a nicer fade and blend of color.  I think everyone has covered you on how to do your text.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
what I would do is copy the text, turn the text black and into an RGB jpg with a transparent background.  take it into photopaint and use the effects>texture>plastic and find the settings that work best.  invert the image and use the curves to adjust the gray to white so that only your highlights are black.  Bring it back into corel and up the dpi to 600 and then convert it to a black and white jpg with halftone settings, or you can use the Advanced Artist tool for making a monochrome bitmap

I hope this isn't confusing.

totally confusing...im using X5...i saved it as a png becuase when i go to save it as a jpeg i dont get the option to have a transparent background.

also bring it back into coreal and making it a jpeg with halftones lost me also..its all very confusing.
Mark

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »
you don't need to save it, just convert it to an RGB bitmap in Corel, you can then click "edit bitmap" and it will take it into Photopaint for you to mess around with

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
Mark can you detail exactly what the specs are you need.

What color shirt are you printing and what colors inks are you going to use.

With this info I think I can give you a much better solution to this.
"No man is an island"

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »
Mark can you detail exactly what the specs are you need.

What color shirt are you printing and what colors inks are you going to use.

With this info I think I can give you a much better solution to this.

Well I have it all recreated in corel EXCEPT the random white glare on the red beveled text. It is a contract job, 36 shirts. Dark Blue; Red; Ash. It goes on the back and left chest. THe guy that is mentoring me in my shop does my seps for me when they are involved. I got the image as a RGB. Looks like it was created in photoshop but all I have access to is my CorelDraw X5.

Anyway, he made real process seps off the image because he also had issues with the white glare and they needed the shirts quickly...time was running out so we did a real process sample and it came out horrible, so he tweaked the magenta and it made it look better, and also used some hand based in the black...it looks better than the first sample but I'm still not content with it....plus its going on an underbase for the dark blue and red shirts...and the sameple we did, its the bullet proof feeling going on.

I missed the deadline (thursday night..and everyone now is out of town for the holiday)....since i now have some breathing room time-wise I figured I would sit down, take a breath and try to get that white bevel glare situation down in corel since I have it all created with Pantone colors already and missing that one aspect of it. I figured if I threw it up in here someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I get that figured out I can then seperate it in corel and rock on.

There is one thing that I think can be done, which i have never done before, is knock out colors in the image that are the color of the shirt...for example for the red shirts, couldnt I just knock out all the 100% red in the image and let the shirt color be the red? it would be less of an underbase to apply...and same for the dark blue shirts...its really really dark blue, so I assume whatver dark blue in the image i could knock out also. Just an idea. Of course this would require more screens for underbases since a different set of screens will be required for each color but that underbase for the back logo is ONE BIG white cirlce and it will stick to your back in the summer bigtime..will be every uncomfortable.
Mark

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »
Here is two screen shots below.

I did it way over exaggerated for viewing benefits and I must add I hate this process in Corel but since you only have it here is how I figured out to do it, I am sure this cat could be skinned in many ways.

First I typed out TEXT colored it white on the blue back ground
Then in the bevel emboss I did the dark shadow
I then broke the bevel group apart, temporarily recolor the text to red making sure the bit map is still on top. Now apply a uniform transperancy to the shadow bitmap change the blending mode to overlay and lower the transperancy to nothing walla thats the dark part.

Again select the text recolor to white and then do the same bevel settings except this time change the direction opposite. Again break it apart color the text back to red then again do the same thing with the transperancy but this time change the blend mode to add.

As you can see in the second pic I am showing the three parts, now you can easily print how ever you decide to do these on press.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:19:04 PM by Inkman996 »
"No man is an island"

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 10:22:01 AM »
thanks for all the insight everyone, but I cannot get it how they want it...I'm going to tell them to bring it somewhere else to someone with more experience...it's a contract job of 36 shirts...it's not a big job anyway and I'm spending entirely too much time on it to get their design how they want it. I'm limited in my art program experience and printing experience and my first print run came out horrible and I'm sure if I attempted it again it would be even worse.

You did post some pretty useful tips though which I do appreciate and maybe can use on another job one day.

Thanks again.

I do think they are using the wrong color shirts honestly and will tell them that. I know the customer wants what they want but in order to get the design on a dark blue shirt and a red shirt an underbase will be required and the CYMK sample i did on the dark blue had a lot of ink on it...underbase hit twice, blue hit twice..plus the other colors....and the back design is big as you can imagine. One big circle...in the summer time it will be EXTREMELY hot to wear and uncomfortable...it will stick to there workers back. Maybe they should just have the name without the big circle...I'll pass it by them when I tell them I'm going to have to pass on it. They need someone with an automatic to get it how they want it.
Mark