Author Topic: Another frame question  (Read 4509 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Re: Another frame question
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
I used a wire wheel in the drill just leave the locking strips in so you don't round out the channel. I tried all kinds of chemicals but a good old soft brass wire wheel did the trick and fast. Just do it away from your screens or prep area as it makes a mess.

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 04:22:30 PM »
I used a wire wheel in the drill just leave the locking strips in so you don't round out the channel. I tried all kinds of chemicals but a good old soft brass wire wheel did the trick and fast. Just do it away from your screens or prep area as it makes a mess.

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)

I do not really want to take off the color together with the tape :)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 09:03:34 PM »

Sand Blasting works. 

Care to elaborate?  I have a nice blasting cabinet that they could fit in.  Would be a little tight but I could do it.

Also what media would you use?  I'm loaded with aluminum oxide right now, but have glass bead as well.

Twas a joke, that's why it was followed with the other stuff..........

When you get stuff with the white tape on it, it's a real pita.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 10:30:02 PM »
i use spit an old rags :D

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 06:57:07 AM »
I had some ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE MZX frames and I used Goof Off with lots of paper towels. Most of them got a rough treatment with a stiff brush soaked with more Goof Off. Some I even soaked in a 2 inch galvanized iron pipe with a cap threaded on to hold in the Goof Off. I soaked them vertically to soften the layer, after layer, after layer, of emulsion HARDENED with many half-a**ed attempts at reclaiming.

It was a nightmare. Just 5 bad ones in your big batch of frames, with a little adhesive to deal with??!?? You got off easy, my friend....

My wife still reminds me every few weeks not to EVER buy ANYTHING off of Craigslist without pictures of the ACTUAL ITEMS, or hands-on.

Many of the tubes were crushed from over clamping. I actually had to pull the endcaps off of most of the "ROUND" tubes with heat and a threaded dent puller, straighten the crushed rollers, and re-epoxy the end caps. I built a mandrel with an integrated "die" on the end, to drive through the tubes for straightening. It was my first experience with Newmans, and I would NEVER, EVER, E.V.E.R.!! do it again!

I should have suspected there was a problem, since they were so cheap. I'll bet out of the 17 usable frames that I actually ended up with, UPS delivered 2-3 pounds of plastisol caked on to those suckers, and their horrible, included mesh. The seller, (who is no longer in the printing trade, DUH!!!!) "threw in" the more expensive Newman Tension Meter (the case for which was caked with paint booth overspray) and the Newman magnesium wrench, in a similar condition.

THAT ADVENTURE LEFT A MARK ON THIS  NAIVE OLDE FARTE.

If you buy used Newmans, protect yourself somehow. There is a reason they are for sale.....BEWARE.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:01:06 AM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 08:03:36 AM »
If you buy used Newmans, protect yourself somehow. There is a reason they are for sale.....BEWARE.

They probably said, "Well, we could either clean 'em, or sell 'em." They sold 'em.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »

They probably said, "Well, we could either clean 'em, or sell 'em." They sold 'em.

In my case, the seller had a fire and went out of business (after Ins. Payoff).  So I guess not much motivation to clean em either.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
Here it is, I found it.
http://www.doitbest.com/Multi-purpose+and+all-purpose+cleaners-Motsenbocker-model-407-01-doitbest-sku-648876.dib

Scrape the tape as much as you can, spray this on it and let it soak for a few minutes. Wipe with the paper towel. Done :)
You might need to use a scraper on a few more spots, but it should not be a problem to remove tape.
Tape residue, which is toughest to remove is a piece of cake with this.

Se before and after pics.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 12:31:09 AM »
Nice!

What about ink and other gunk that might be on the screens?  Does it work on them as well?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 07:40:28 AM »
Nice!

What about ink and other gunk that might be on the screens?  Does it work on them as well?
"Adhesives, oily foods, and grease stain remover. Petroleum based formulation can effectively removes such items as: chewing gum, adhesives, grease, tar, motor oil, sap, and naturally oil based foods such as salad dressing. 22 oz. trigger."

That is from the link I posted. On mine, I did not have much other gunk that the tape and a bit of ink. But now, everything is taken off, some of them would look almost as a brand new ones if they did not have a few scrapes (not a big ones, and not big of a deal).

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »
Hey Guys, shop that around if you decide to try it out. 

That link was like $18.xx with shipping.  Wife just ordered it on Amazon for 10.75 WITH shipping.  And was 1/2 the shipping time.  Just sayin.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:37 AM »
Hey Guys, shop that around if you decide to try it out. 

That link was like $18.xx with shipping.  Wife just ordered it on Amazon for 10.75 WITH shipping.  And was 1/2 the shipping time.  Just sayin.

You can get it in most hardware shops. I had this link on because I bought it in that store. Most of true Value, Ace Hardware, Lowe's and Home Depot stores should have them.
Other good one is Goo Gone, I have that one too. People actually like that one better the the one I posted first. I just tried the one that had nozzle and continued using because it was working :)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 12:20:28 AM »
You can get it in most hardware shops.

Hardware Shop? 

Where the he!! you living boy? 

I'm in a city of 6+ million and they have all gone the way of Home Depot and Lowes, lol.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 12:28:41 AM »
You can get it in most hardware shops.

Hardware Shop? 

Where the he!! you living boy? 

I'm in a city of 6+ million and they have all gone the way of Home Depot and Lowes, lol.

I'm in a Cleveland suburb. We have them all over the place.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 12:39:55 AM »
There is a hardware store here that's been around probably 50+ years. I'm surprised they don't get in trouble because when you walk in there you are duckin and dodgin stuff everywhere, hanging from the ceiling and everything but it is pretty cool to see all the older stuff they have.