Author Topic: How to avoid this  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
How to avoid this
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:54:50 AM »
I`m really new to printing with an automatic. As a matter of fact 2 weeks new. But in these 2 weeks I could not really print much with the auto because of the wrong compressor we got recommended. Now I have to get these red polos out, 250 of them and have some issues regarding ink coverage.
Generally it`s a white underbase and then a red and a black. But somehow I never get a 100% ink coverage on the red and black. There are always little dots of white where there should be red and black ink. How can I avoid that. I tried more pressure but that just makes the black image bleed in too much and certain characters unreadable. i raised the off contact but no luck either. Did some adjustments to the speed of the print stroke. Well you name it I`ve done it.
My base is on a 128N
red  and black each on a 166N.
Screen tension is around 25N.
Solutions please, I`m getting desperate.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: How to avoid this
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
You are over flashing the underbase.  I would go up in mesh counts as well to lay down less ink in the right place (on top).  This way less ink = less heat needed.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
I would also seriously think about not even basing, but only running a highlight white. It looks like you are trying to get double duty out of your white, laying down more than is ideal on the underbase part, and, like printficient said, curing rather than just gelling it.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38:32 AM »
I can't understand underbasing black at all, and if it's a red shirt, why not let the red shirt show through? Print black first, then the white, you probably don't even need to flash at that point. Of course, if the customer wants you to print the red, then black, white, flash, red. Just my thoughts, but we definitely don't underbase black, except in a very special instance, and I don't think this is one of them.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:56:06 AM »
Right there with you Steve. Underbasing black is just a bad idea a great majority of the time. It really makes the print look cheap and almost never looks good. I would knock out the black and the red. You will get a much cleaner and nicer looking print.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »
And like I said, not only a base, but a solid base is going to amplify all of the drawbacks.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »
Definitely agree--black and red on red polos the UB isn't worth doing--assuming they're all red.  You should still be able to run black, red, white wet on wet--flash--white, and be off in one round even if you want/need to flash.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
To answer the first question you ask about ink deposit I,m thinking your base white is not smooth and thick which someone mention.  Next I agree with the all other comments about not under basing black or the red if your printing on nothing but red shirts.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
I have had this and I don't rememeber what I did to fix it. I think it was the white was not flashed long enough. Also clean the backs of all your screens to make sure they are clear. I had a ton of issues with under flashing my underbase when I started on an auto. Make sure your boards are hot when you start.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »
I have had this and I don't rememeber what I did to fix it. I think it was the white was not flashed long enough. Also clean the backs of all your screens to make sure they are clear. I had a ton of issues with under flashing my underbase when I started on an auto. Make sure your boards are hot when you start.

I would suggest that as well.  There are just so many little things that can cause this so make sure you change one thing at a time until you fix the problem and you'll know exactly how you fixed the problem.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 02:34:27 PM »
Rockers I agree with you on underbasing the black on this job. If you don't underbase the black then you will get the texture of the polo fabric in the black areas and have 2 levels to the print. With the underbase your print is all on the same level and texture. I think its a better looking print for this design, especially on a polo with texture to deal with.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »
The idea of using black as a preventative measure from seeing the pique of the polo is a good thing to mention. Also, the OP didn't mention but it could be going on both black and red garments and is another reason to use black and red.

At any rate, my guess is as mentioned, over flashed.  They do point out some very good tips about other reasons/ways of handling this so make note of it for future reference.

You mentioned the base was on 128N  (What does the (N) stand for?  Is that Newtons?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »
"N" is Newman Roller Mesh.  At the end of each number Don has the letter N, not sure why this was done and what purpose it serves but I'm sure there is a reason.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »
Most of his problem is the substrate that he is printing on and not filling the voids in the garment with his base. Its all in the underprint.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
Are you printing base white under the black?
myseps.com color separations by Scott D.   Follow me on facebook