Author Topic: Buick  (Read 4188 times)

Offline lemorris

Buick
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
Pencil - Photoshop

Painting a little more these days.  No real "inking" fun method.  Look up Seegmiller.  Good stuff

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Buick
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 07:48:10 PM »
This is really cool. I have to know, How many hours?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 08:44:23 AM »
Awesome!  As I said before, I love this new directio for you and you're one of the real car artist.

Funny you mention Seegmiller. While I worked at "the last place", we hired Seegmiller to come in for a two day seminar. Fun, normal guy and modest.

D

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:53:40 AM »
I vote this for the post of the month!

Thanx Lemorris, that is AWESOME!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »
I vote this for the post of the month!

Thanx Lemorris, that is AWESOME!

pierre
I agree.  In addition to the high level of art quality, It is nice to have this artist come in and post the step by step stages. Very good food for the hungry. We can feed the masses with this food.  Ya you, give a man some art and you feed him for a day, teach a man to do art and... you know the rest.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
you know, I think that would make a cool T-shirt!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:33:33 PM »
Tasty!
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »
Wish I had that talent, I love it

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »
Everythng he posts just knocks me out...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline lemorris

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 06:50:55 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  I appreciate you checkin it out.  I'm still trolling IMO, but I'm happy to be moving in a direction.

@DTD:  yeah man...Seegmiller is the s__t.  I have the Painter books too, but I still have a block there...I'm able to do some of what I want to do, but I think I need to take one of Jit Leongs courses or something so I can really understand layers, clones and really get to know how the variants work.

In the meantime, PS is goin ok for me.  Once you switch your mindset from drawing to painting, the application really opens up.

All that said, from a screenprint standpoint, understanding how to translate your freeball painting to a shirt becomes critical.  To look at that piece and think how you can do it 6 colors or less in spot color seps is where the real high end cats like you and Jeremy, and Scott stand apart.

A monkey can paint....a pro can separate.  That's where I want to be.

A Pro Monkey.  LOLOLOL! 

Thanks again.

:)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:55:17 PM by lemorris »

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »
Yeah, you suck.

Yeah right, just like my fineliners, haha.
 :D

Saw this elsewhere, it still rocks.
I like the direction you're taking, kinda curious how it's translating in the sep process.
Texture and all that.

Cheers.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
Texture would be hard (on his art here especially). What you need to do on that as a separator is accentuate/exaggerate or enhance the texture more than it actually is. Then, another key factor is know the colors used for that texture and how they are playing/knocking of each other.

For example, you can have very hard stark texturing in a color. If it's a very light color, like a beige or yellow, that won't show up having as much impact on the print results as you would think and see in the channel. so, you then need to (enhance) even more, by copying that texture to a new channel and adding it (filling the selection) onto another darker channel in the shadow tones) where you can PUNCH the texture out more. Once you've done that, you also need to consider where that color is in the print sequence. Texture is more clean and crisp if on a screen that is late in the sequence. If it must be earlier, you then need to help it to not get filled in by being stepped on too many times...by knocking it out of a few layers (just a little).

This is slightly frustrating to the original artist if they don't follow what you are doing with it but often times, it's the only way to get that texture on the art to come out in the print results. Once printed, more often than not, it does not look as stark and contrasty as in the photoshop file and the artist is pleased enough.

Class dismissed.

Offline lemorris

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »
This one is more for a print.

For a shirt I would drop the texture in the art and let the shirt carry that.  I wouldn't want the hassle in sepping and I wouldn't want to place that headache on a printer.  been down that road.  It will still fly on a shirt without it

Thanks for the insight though.  Its definitely somethin to think about.