Author Topic: Does this look like a gallon to you?  (Read 8224 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Does this look like a gallon to you?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »
There is a VERY easy test do the math

The volume of a gallon of water is .... one gallon! A gallon is a volumetric measurement.

One US gallon is 0.133681 cubic feet, or 3.785411 litres, or 0.832674 UK gallons.

One UK gallon is 0.160544 cubic feet, or 4.54609 litres, or 1.20095 US gallons.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_volume_of_one_gallon_of_water#ixzz1y3erNo93

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »
Well they aknowledged that it looked short and offered replacement product or an in store credit.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:30 AM »
Well they aknowledged that it looked short and offered replacement product or an in store credit.

They offered a replacement, that would have ment retuirn shipping and delivery shipping of the replacement lots of $$ on their part.

in store credit, give yourself a chance to get half of what they owe you.

The body language in this says they disagree with you  or simply do not care. logically they would have sent you a quart of the same ink so you could get the GALLON YOU PAID FOR, or better yet if you are are good customer send you another gallon of ink at no charge, that is what I would have done if I short shipped.

At least they didn't try to tell you it was SHORT BODIED white

pretty cheeeeeeezy if you ask me

mooseman
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:06:09 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
If they are crediting him the entire gallon then that would be acceptable as well.  Hell, if they credited him HALF a gallon that would be ok.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »
Seems the most simple and logical way for this to play out is for the seller to tell him what the weight is supposed to be after all we have learned that inks are sold in weights not true gallons. He then should be able to weigh his gallon and relay that back to the seller, if off then they are responsible.
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Two words might shine some light on this or perhaps further confuse.
Specific Gravity.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
Unfortunately specific gravity is not it. SG is a measure of density unless they are dispensing the produvt by weight and not volume SG has absolutely no bearing.

Here is an example
a gallon of water specific gravity of 1.0 weighs about 8.3 pounds / gallon
gasoline has a specific gravity of .76 so one gallon of gasoline weighs 8.3 x .76 or 6.3 pounds / gallon.
brine solution has a SG of 1.12 so a gallon there weighs 9.3 pounds / gallon

Volumetrically speaking a gallon of water, gas and brine are going to fill to EXACTLY the same level in any given container even though they weigh very differently due to SG differences, a gallon = a gallon = a gallon.

mooseman

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 02:48:24 PM »
Unfortunately specific gravity is not it. SG is a measure of density unless they are dispensing the produvt by weight and not volume SG has absolutely no bearing.

Here is an example
a gallon of water specific gravity of 1.0 weighs about 8.3 pounds / gallon
gasoline has a specific gravity of .76 so one gallon of gasoline weighs 8.3 x .76 or 6.3 pounds / gallon.
brine solution has a SG of 1.12 so a gallon there weighs 9.3 pounds / gallon

Volumetrically speaking a gallon of water, gas and brine are going to fill to EXACTLY the same level in any given container even though they weigh very differently due to SG differences, a gallon = a gallon = a gallon.

mooseman

This is the same as a pound of bricks and a pound of feathers. It does not matter if the gallon of ink weighs a thousand pounds if it doesn't fill the gallon. If they are selling a gallon of ink it should be a full gallon of ink. Now if they are selling 8 pounds of ink then it does not matter if it only fills half the gallon they sold you 8 pounds. Now you have to ask what did they sell? I see on their website gallon of ink with the price next to it. That would sound like it is a gallon for that price.

It does not matter if they weigh the ink to measure out a gallon. If they made the ink wrong (too heavy) and it weighs more they have to change the weigh needed to fill the bucket to a gallon for that batch of ink. Its not your problem they messed up.

We don’t lay down 5 grams of ink on a shirt if it needs 10 grams to cover the shirt.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »
Why doesn't the damn ink companies list what their weights are along side the gallon pricing. Of course they can include a small +/- over under to keep the penny wise from screaming every time they are off a gram. If we all knew what weights to expect from our inks when purchased then we could tell if some one has a butchers thumb.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
... then we could tell if some one has a butchers thumb.

Your butch has thumbs?! ;)

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »
You should absolutely be able to get a specific gravity or weight per gallon for your inks.  I know Wilflex provides that.  Most manufacturers do fill to a weight -- the reason is that the ink is so viscous, that if you went to a volume fill line, you would have a "coning" effect and have to tamp the container to flatten it -- definitely not production efficient. 

Therefore each ink has a target wpg - and scales are used to fill to that weight.  Colors with a lot of white (titanium) are much heavier than say fluorescents.  You could see a color in the 10lb per gallon range; where a printing white (i.e. Wilflex Quick White) is 13.5 #/gal.

Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
Why doesn't the damn ink companies list what their weights are along side the gallon pricing. Of course they can include a small +/- over under to keep the penny wise from screaming every time they are off a gram. If we all knew what weights to expect from our inks when purchased then we could tell if some one has a butchers thumb.

At QCM we were doing that before Rutland purchased us.  I believe it is still on each label...
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.