Author Topic: What are your re-order minimums or do you have any?  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
What are your re-order minimums or do you have any?
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:15:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

Do you have any re-order requirements?  Let's say that you print a 100 black shirts 3 color front and 4 color back and the customer comes in a week later and says she
needs 6 more.  Of course you've already taken the screens down and reclaimed them.  The reason I ask is because I'm in that exact situation now.  She orders approximately 100 at a time 3 times a year.  I normally set my minimum at 24 for reorders at a reset fee of $10 a screen if I haven't already reclaimed the screens.  I'm just wondering how that compares to you.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: What are your re-order minimums or do you have any?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 08:46:35 AM »
No minimum in terms of numbers, but they may not like my prices....I am thinking those 6 shirts should be well over 200.00.....

Sometimes the nature of the design and/or how the sizes are requested can give you an idea if you might get a quick re-order....When I get a list of sizes to match people for a date specific event, then I ask a few more questions and outline costs for re-orders....That type of order can be prone the clients not ordering enough or people getting missed because they order late...

The cost of re-orders should be clearly communicated in both the quote process and/or when the order is invoiced....This may not totally prevent issues like this but it might get your clients to do a better job ordering in the 1st place...

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 08:47:04 AM »
 ANY order- new or re-order- minimum 24 pieces for printing, 12 pieces for embroidery.
We will do less than minimum but will upcharge so that the profit margin is the same.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »
Generally what we do is we give all our customers a screen life of 12 month for reprints. So they don`t need to pay for the screens in case they need more shirts a few weeks or month later. But if they reorder less then 11 pcs they are going to be charged a lot on the print charge. Anything more then 10 pcs is just charged standard rate.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:13:24 AM »
Generally what we do is we give all our customers a screen life of 12 month for reprints. So they don`t need to pay for the screens in case they need more shirts a few weeks or month later. But if they reorder less then 11 pcs they are going to be charged a lot on the print charge. Anything more then 10 pcs is just charged standard rate.

That is insane.....So say someone orders 1,000 shirts 6 over 6......And 6 months later they want another 12 shirts, you are going to re-do 12 screens and charge them only for printing?....

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
ANY order- new or re-order- minimum 24 pieces for printing, 12 pieces for embroidery.
We will do less than minimum but will upcharge so that the profit margin is the same.

That's what I was thinking.  I always tell them to order as many as they will need when the initial order is placed.  Heck, even if you had an easy button that set your screens back up, the 6 shirts wouldn't even cover the cost of heating the dryer up unless  you were printing another order at the same time.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »
No minimum per se, but high prices on small quantities of complicated jobs can often change their mind.
Sometimes, the "fill-ins" are better served by a different process like transfers or dtg.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »

WTF? You know how much money you are flushing down the toilet? There is no screen life. Once it comes off the press its game over. I make it very clear up front that if a customer is not sure what they need to order extra. It is a lot cheaper to order a dozen extra than to get me to set it back up and print 12 more down the road. Anything after the fact is new job.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
Generally what we do is we give all our customers a screen life of 12 month for reprints

In another life we used to give 6 months. Now in the modern world we give 2 weeks to re-order before
new screen charges apply.

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 11:08:33 AM »
I`m with Doug team mates
only two weeks we make sure they know in the first place
always educate your clients, setting up screen is time consuming
printing part is the easy part

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 11:13:56 AM »
The second the screens come off my press the job is done IMO.  New order/reorder = new screen charges.  Period.  But my screen charges are only $10 per color, and free on 96 or more pcs. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Flying Colors

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
Here we do not call them screen charges, we call them Set Up Charges. On our prices sheets, when we quote, and everything over the phone. It helps get the customers mind off the term "screen". I am sure most people here had customers call and say "Where can I buy the screens blank so you do not have to?" or "How much does it cost you to buy a screen and I will give you that?".

We do our best to explain that you are not paying for the actual screen but you are paying for x, y, and z and so on - no need to explain the reasons to you guys.

Just calling it a set up charge in the first place helps combat the ridiculous questions in the first place.

Mark

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 10:06:27 PM »

WTF? You know how much money you are flushing down the toilet? There is no screen life. Once it comes off the press its game over. I make it very clear up front that if a customer is not sure what they need to order extra. It is a lot cheaper to order a dozen extra than to get me to set it back up and print 12 more down the road. Anything after the fact is new job.
Well we live in and work in a country the size of California but with a population of 115million. You can imagine how competitive the market is round here. If it would be for me I would not give them more then 3 month on the screens but you will find lots of print shops that keep screens for a unlimited time. Things do work a little different over here.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 10:18:59 PM »
One month no added charges unless I need to place an order then I add shipping

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »
I just started doing a 12 piece minimum per color in the design. Whether it be a reorder or new order.