Author Topic: Craziest tshirt request I've ever had.  (Read 5786 times)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: Craziest tshirt request I've ever had.
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
Nope, but I actually thought of "Hurt" as a great song when he played it--not so much when Trent did.  That was kinda my point.   ::)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »
Nope, but I actually thought of "Hurt" as a great song when he played it--not so much when Trent did.  That was kinda my point.   ::)

I watched that video (Johnny Cash - Hurt) when I was in a bad situation and weeped like a school girl. That's a tough song.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »

I get it... but a band that is covering a song as a joke vs a serious musician covering the song because he respects the song is COMPLETELY different.

Mr. Bungle covered a LOT of songs... I doubt the respected many of them.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »

I get it... but a band that is covering a song as a joke vs a serious musician covering the song because he respects the song is COMPLETELY different.

HAHA Mr. Bungle. . . .nice reference. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »

But your first statement is exactly what I'm getting at--I love Richard Cheese for making songs that I would not likely listen to listenable. 

I don't think of Mr. Bungle as too comparable, recording the insane and technical studio albums they did.  Although they did some 'interesting' covers of songs I otherwise wouldn't listen to, I think of the interpretation standing on it's own--I can't think of any way of properly quantifying the amount of respect a band has for an artist they're covering anyway.  Phish did lots of off the cuff covers in a similar manner--would you say they are not respecting the music they were covering? 
I guess I always thought of Mr. Bungle as being great just because it was so difficult to tell when they were serious--if ever.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
I haven't listened to Richard Cheese so I'm making ASSumptions here... but I'm going off the fact that you stated "Milkshake" made me assume it was likely done tongue in cheek.  A lot like Mr. Bungle doing a Britney Spears song or name many other incredibly terrible songs they covered in what one would mostly assume is a joke (as was the nature of the band).

Johnny Cash on the other hand did songs that he respected.  I'd also suggest that Cash had more to lose by making a "fool of himself".  So if he covered it, it's likely a song that has some merit.

Not sure where the disconnect is happening, but it is probably due to my ignorance in Richard Cheese.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »
I feel it is appropriate at this point for this:
"Weird Al" Yankovic - White & Nerdy

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »
I haven't listened to Richard Cheese so I'm making ASSumptions here... but I'm going off the fact that you stated "Milkshake" made me assume it was likely done tongue in cheek.  A lot like Mr. Bungle doing a Britney Spears song or name many other incredibly terrible songs they covered in what one would mostly assume is a joke (as was the nature of the band).

Johnny Cash on the other hand did songs that he respected.  I'd also suggest that Cash had more to lose by making a "fool of himself".  So if he covered it, it's likely a song that has some merit.

Not sure where the disconnect is happening, but it is probably due to my ignorance in Richard Cheese.

Most of the Cash covers that he did right before his death were FORCED on him by Rick Rubin,  he didnt even know those songs.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »
I was wondering about that myself--the Depeche Mode cover strikes me as something he wouldn't listen to--although it would have been cool if he had. 

My point with "Hurt" was that IMO, it was not that great of a song performed by Trent--I just didn't think of it as a very credible song coming from him.  When Cash did it, he grounded it in the reality and gravitas it needed to be a much better song. 

I'd guess the disconnect is just in opinion--I enjoy lots of music that 'serious' music critics would not.  (coincidentally, nice link, Brad!  Had "In 3-D" on tape nearly thirty years ago.  :) )

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
That Depeche Mode cover he did, inspired me to learn it on guitar.  I play it all the time. 
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"