Author Topic: anyone using CCI Tex-Coat Emulsion?  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
anyone using CCI Tex-Coat Emulsion?
« on: June 21, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »
I have a sample and I am told it is a good match for Aquasol HV. I don't do waterbase right now but they have big shops using Tex-coat with hardener for waterbase with no issues.

Any feedback would be great. I am going to give it a shot and see how it works.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: anyone using CCI Tex-Coat Emulsion?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »
We were using it for awhile. I did like the first gallons I got, but then something changed.
It's really high viscosity, and it was getting really thick to the point of not coating correctly.
Sort of like when you get to the bottom of a gallon of Aquasol. (We dump the dregs in the new gallon
to thin it back out a bit.)

I ended up adding a touch of water and mixing to make it work right. Ended up not being worth the effort.
Aquasol HV is where it's at.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »
We were using it for awhile. I dSort of like when you get to the bottom of a gallon of Aquasol.

I don't get the thickness problem with aquasol. I mix the bucket really good before coating screens each time.

What about detail and other details of how it compares to aquasol hv?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:27:01 AM by Screened Gear »

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »
Update:

I just tested CCI tex-coat last week. I would say it performs almost exactly like Aquasol HV. It is not made for waterbase inks but with harder it works fine (many shops are using it that way). The blue color is lighter on the screens so it is easier to see your reg marks. It exposes a little slower then Aquasol HV on my set up I had to go up one second to get the same results (18 seconds to 19 seconds, so almost no change.) Its hard to tell but I think I get better walls on my stencils with the tex-coat. I have not tried a 305 with 55 line screen yet to see how it holds detail but I don't think that will be a issue.

I am not 100% sure I am going to switch but I would be saving about 30 percent on a gallon.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
Hey Jon have you noticed more pinholes with the CCI?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »
Tried it, didn't do as well as Ulano 925 WR, this stuff is like cement, just ran a 3 color wet on wet discharge, double strokes on all three screens, 500 pieces, never a problem. It would be hard to get us to move away from the 925 WR now, we have had zero issues and gone through several gallons now.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »
Tried it, didn't do as well as Ulano 925 WR, this stuff is like cement, just ran a 3 color wet on wet discharge, double strokes on all three screens, 500 pieces, never a problem. It would be hard to get us to move away from the 925 WR now, we have had zero issues and gone through several gallons now.

The 925WR is some tuff sh!t for sure. Mine just went bad though. About 72 pcs we got a major break down in the screen. Threw another one in and it made it another 40 pcs before starting to go. So stay on top of it because the shelf life isnt that great. It would not be a problem if we did WB everyday but I get them in spurts.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 01:09:06 PM »
What I've noticed with diazo emulsions, after coating screens and caping the bucket. I bring the bucket in the a/c'd office and store it. I get more life out of it. If I were to leave it in the hot screen room, 1 month and it's done. Chromaline cptex had the worst shelf life, 2 weeks and the contents of the bucket turned into a big rubbery booger. So far the Ulano 925 wr, stored in the a/c and use distiled only water for the diazo 2 months on a gallon bucket and no problems. But the hopes are to go through it faster by doing more WB printing.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
I use almost all one parts, but when I use Diazo emulsions, I mix it as quarts since otherwise, it would go past its shelf life, as I use it so seldom.
You can often tell folks who do this by their yellow fingers.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:10:23 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »
Hey Jon have you noticed more pinholes with the CCI?

Jason,

Didn't notice a pin hole issue. There was pinholes but not more than normal.

I have to say I was surprised at how it performs. I am a Diehard Aquasol HV guy. I have been using it for almost 3 years and I have everything dialed in with it. I know exactly what screens will hold what detail. I never have to worry about losing detail or messing up a screen. So it was really hard for me to try another emulsion. My CCI rep has dropped off 3 emulsions to me in the last 3 or 4 months and I have not even tried them. I just didn't have the time to screw with them. He then brought me the TEX-COAT and said other guys using Aquasol HV have switched to tex-coat and are happy with it. He said tex-coat exposes the same. He said they did a test at one shop that goes threw 55 gallon drums of the stuff and the staff didn't complain or really even say anything changed.

I am not trying to sell this stuff I just felt like letting others know that it really does do well and there is some savings.

I am gong to order a gallon and see if it stays the same. I will update latter.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »
What I've noticed with diazo emulsions, after coating screens and caping the bucket. I bring the bucket in the a/c'd office and store it. I get more life out of it. If I were to leave it in the hot screen room, 1 month and it's done. Chromaline cptex had the worst shelf life, 2 weeks and the contents of the bucket turned into a big rubbery booger. So far the Ulano 925 wr, stored in the a/c and use distiled only water for the diazo 2 months on a gallon bucket and no problems. But the hopes are to go through it faster by doing more WB printing.

I think this guy ^^ lives in a time dilation field or something. ;)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 03:52:10 PM »
I use almost all one parts, but when I use Diazo emulsions, I mix it as quarts since otherwise, it would go past its shelf life, as I use it so seldom.
You can often tell folks who do this by their yellow fingers.  ;D

Frog,

Send me your address. I want to mail you some rubber gloves. That powder is the worse thing in the world to be touching I thought. I would wear a mask also. I will put some of those in the care package also.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »

I think this guy ^^ lives in a time dilation field or something. ;)

Nope, Lakeland Florida, very hot, very muggy.  ;D We record data on everything we do to compare. Can't always trust these supply reps ya know.  :o

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 04:08:32 PM »
Of course it's bad stuff, and one learns to use care, a scale and small ink knives as well as protective gear.

However, in the 35 or so years that have passed since I first messed with this stuff, I can tell you that
1. I have gotten it on my fingers a few times
2. Though bad, there must be worse things as I am still here to talk about it.
3. I have touched worse things

That said, don't try this at home kids.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
Of course it's bad stuff, and one learns to use care, a scale and small ink knives as well as protective gear.

However, in the 35 or so years that have passed since I first messed with this stuff, I can tell you that
1. I have gotten it on my fingers a few times
2. Though bad, there must be worse things as I am still here to talk about it.
3. I have touched worse things

That said, don't try this at home kids.

I think we are all glad you are still here. I think some times your here too much. How do you get anything done.