Author Topic: Ever had a screen do this?  (Read 3144 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Ever had a screen do this?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 06:11:04 PM »
A little more info about this screen might help shed some light on the subject.  This was a screen that we would use, de-ink, de-tape, clean up and catalog until they ordered again.  They ordered a few times a month.  I developed this stencil about a month ago with Ulano Orange and we did the job I'm referring to 2 times so it's been cleaned (not reclaimed) twice and then goes into the dark room until it's time to use it.  My printer pulled it yesterday to print the job and that's what he found.  He said it was fine when he used it last, my newest screen tech showed me how he cleaned it and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary about his procedure, he did it just like I showed him.

Thickness gauge shows the screen is 100 microns thick, with emulsion it's 172 microns thick, the thread looks very thin, almost identical to a 110/71 S thread I have.  I remember when I wrote the mesh count on the outside of the screen, it was stamped 83, but I can't find an 83 on any manufacturer's spec sheet that has thin threads.  Sefar has an 83/120, but I don't think there is any way these threads are 120 microns.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 06:29:35 PM »
Perhaps it was the weight of all that emulsion........... ;D
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 08:29:24 PM »
Also- watch that tension on the S mesh.  When they say 24n/cm max, they mean it.  You can go higher but will absolutely experience premature failure if you do.  Your 150/48 shouldn't be at 30, it's a little too high.   

I have been having excessive breakage with my Shurlocks as well. We have had way to many separate right in along the locking strip on the short side of the frame. These S panels are only a couple months, 150 and 225 mesh. Often they will pop after being degreased and in the drying rack, nothing like coming in the next morning and having 2 or 3 frames with broken mesh. All failures have been on the hsort side which I find peculiar. Shurelocks spec is 29n on the 225 S mesh which is the max specified by Murakami. I also have noticed a lot of small holes developing in the image areas of the panel. I like Alan feel a screen should last a very long time and am getting frustrated wit the Shurelock - S mesh product.

Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 10:59:01 PM »
Also- watch that tension on the S mesh.  When they say 24n/cm max, they mean it.  You can go higher but will absolutely experience premature failure if you do.  Your 150/48 shouldn't be at 30, it's a little too high.   

I have been having excessive breakage with my Shurlocks as well. We have had way to many separate right in along the locking strip on the short side of the frame. These S panels are only a couple months, 150 and 225 mesh. Often they will pop after being degreased and in the drying rack, nothing like coming in the next morning and having 2 or 3 frames with broken mesh. All failures have been on the hsort side which I find peculiar. Shurelocks spec is 29n on the 225 S mesh which is the max specified by Murakami. I also have noticed a lot of small holes developing in the image areas of the panel. I like Alan feel a screen should last a very long time and am getting frustrated wit the Shurelock - S mesh product.

I have seen that picture posted above in our shop. Not fun times. And yeah, when they say 24n or 29n they mean it. I did several well over to bring it up to our non s mesh and man they did great on the press (great prints, fast press time) but after just a couple of weeks - pop, pop, pop. We will be moving away from the product soon

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
Did you check the ink for debris?  Had a guy here who took ink he spilled off the floor and back into a bucket (luckily only a quart) and we ended up having to cure the rest of it and throw it out--although we didn't have this happen, it was all scratches and rips parallel to the squeegee stroke...

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »
Alan, I'm pretty certain it's an 83-70. Sent you a PM
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 12:28:10 AM »
That's really weird breakup.

I'm kinda the same way, in that, me handling the screens, no problem.
Others..well.
Seeing as I'm the one fixing the stuff, I'd say I got a right to bitch.

I'll admit, I didn't read all the replies, just kida jumpin in here.

I use roller retens with bulk mesh, have been forever aside from our smaller, square static jobbers. ( ahem.. )

When retentioning them and bringing them up to 'proper work hardened status' after a job or two, I rarely go over 28n.
Many may balk at this, but they stay consistent around there for many, many consecutive beatings , and rarely get funky.

This is due to my own limitations/quirks/whatever, but it works, and it took awhile to get there.

Find your 'zone' where the new kids can't destroy everything but it works properly and consistently..and run with it?

Often times, many suggest 'perfect' variables, but in the real world, you must adjust accordingly.
It's just a gauge to be used as a reference.  Kinda like zeroing in a scale..calibration stuff, but not set in stone.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Cheers.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 07:54:28 PM »
Kinda looks like a mouse head I have no idea what caused it though

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com