Author Topic: This is crazy!  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
This is crazy!
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »
I've just read a topic the other day I believe by alan.   The day before yesterday we had a 290 piece order printed in simulated process for an event this weekend.  The lady asked me to hold the screens so she could call when she needed more, so I figured I could handle that for one day.  I had a 230 mesh for the underbase and 5 305 mesh for the top colors.  They were all shurlocs.  I locked them down in the printheads to keep them from moving when I shut the press off.  The next morning I come in and the last screen in the setup had the prettiest rip right down the middle.  What gives?  How it could print 290 prints and do fine and when just sitting there rip, I don't know what the heck happened.  Thank God it didn't happen during the job.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
Re: This is crazy!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:20:30 PM »
screens rip, part of the business.  For no reason at all sometimes.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Get Shirts

This is crazy!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »
It doesn't take much to finish off a screen once it develops a hole or tear.  Did you remove the squeegees when you finished?  More tension, more problems. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »
It doesn't take much to finish off a screen once it develops a hole or tear.  Did you remove the squeegees when you finished?  More tension, more problems.

Just a note on this point.
In the last few years, as evidenced here, and in the industry in general, there has been a trend towards higher mesh counts, and higher tensions, (sometimes incredibly high, even possibly getting past the point of maximum return for the risk)
I would look at squeegee pressure, and floodbar pressure, the squeegees and bars themselves, and the scrubbers and brushes and techniques used in cleaning, and as mentioned also, pressure washers themselves. These are all now potential weapons of mass destruction.

As for the (possibly) self-destructing Shurloc panels, like anything manufactured, these could have been a bad batch, or defect more likely with certain meshes and thread combination.
Hopefully, they will chime in.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »
Mmm. I was about to try a few panels for a four of july project
my guess is that not just fireworks goes POP

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
Mmm. I was about to try a few panels for a four of july project
my guess is that not just fireworks goes POP

No I didn't remove the squeegees and floodbars. It could've been because of that I suppose.  Also,doublestroke don't let that discourage you.  I've only had this happen once on the press and this was also a conversion frame.  I suspect that the static that the conversion kit was mounted to might have been a fraction larger than 23 x 31 making the mesh stretch a little tighter than it's rated for.  I'm going to that check Monday.  I have however had them pop when they are setting in the screen rack for no rhyme or reason.  I have about 60 of them and that's happened about 12 times mostly higher mesh  counts though.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 06:31:50 PM »
I've used Shur-Loc panels for the last 8 or so years.  I have some that have lasted that entire 8 years, not many but some, and I've had some that pop the first day of use.  It happens, sometimes even in bunches and sometimes without reason.

Personally, I rarely tighten above 30n.  I honestly see no benefit of going higher, but do see an increased pop rate.  Maybe I'm just clumsy.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »
Most of our higher mesh EZ frame panels have busted, just sitting in the dark room or waiting to be reclaimed.  At one point I had 4 330S screens and now I have one left, and they've been used about 2 times each before they busted.  I had 6 305's and not one of them busted on press, they bust when they are sitting around waiting for something.  It's almost like the strain of waiting for the next job is more than they can bare.  The 156's, 110's, 195's all hold up well until they get a hole in them, but the higher mesh simply bust right down the side usually and I've not had a single EZ screen bust while on press. 

The day I threw the massive hissy fit my guy was taping up a 305 that I had just stretched a few days earlier, and he spun it around, plopped it down to tape the outside and bam, by dropping the frame about 2" the impact caused the mesh to snap.

I love the product, it's worth the headaches but I'm finding that about 80% of my higher mesh counts can't make it through a year in production with very limited usage so I do think there is room for improvement with the panels.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
I'd say we go through a fair bit of the panels, but such is the nature of a high tension beast. We talked to Jim at Shurloc and went over few things we were doing and reduced the rips by 50%.
Most definitely give them a call and see what could be causing some of the issues.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
Geez I come in this morning to 2 ripped statics that I reclaimed on Friday.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 12:42:35 PM »
check the edges of the frame on the bottom one. I have a feeling you'll find the it was hit (should have a nick in it probably pretty close to the center of rip that is closest to the edge).

that is what we are finding on our busted mesh.

I have some frames with rounded edges from Sonny and they seem to last a lot longer than the others. I wonder if that is the reason why.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
In this same vein.
We should all know about caustic haze removers doing this, but there are also some ink cleaners that are not compatible with glued screens.
I seem to remember this spelled out on the CCI site when they listed tons of choices of otherwise similar seeming products. I hope that for everyone's sake, they have leaned out their selection, simplifying the choices.

One of those pics looks like the mesh has separated as well as ripped.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 01:18:03 PM »
That is 3  ripped screens in as many days. I am getting tired of this. I am beginning to think the dip tank solution is weakening something?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
That is 3  ripped screens in as many days. I am getting tired of this. I am beginning to think the dip tank solution is weakening something?

Welcome to my world fellas.  Some wonder why I have 3 huge bald spots that just showed up on the back of my head, busted screens has a little to do with it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »
Geez I come in this morning to 2 ripped statics that I reclaimed on Friday.
I had two screen pop like the top picture.  One was on the press and the other was just sitting in the dark room all coated up minding it's own business.  Gerry, what make is that screen?