Author Topic: This is crazy!  (Read 4706 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: This is crazy!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »
Geez I come in this morning to 2 ripped statics that I reclaimed on Friday.

The top screen the ones with the stamp of the date/mesh on them are screens from china. I had a supplier sell me about 20 of these and in less then 3 months over half of them came unglued. I think I only have 5 or so left. Everyone said it was the chemicals that I was using but that was not the case. Those screens are junk and don't buy them anymore. Under the glue they have really deep grind marks. I think this is part of the problem with them, that and the glue job sucks.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 06:37:18 PM »
I had two screen pop like the top picture.  One was on the press and the other was just sitting in the dark room all coated up minding it's own business.  Gerry, what make is that screen?
The top picture is from American Alloy or AA Frames whatever they go by which has lasted quite awhile. Well at least over a year.

The bottom is chinese from a company here in Hayward Ca. Not sure if they stretch them here in the states or not but they are definitely a chinese company. That screen I have only had for a few months.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »

The top screen the ones with the stamp of the date/mesh on them are screens from china. I had a supplier sell me about 20 of these and in less then 3 months over half of them came unglued. I think I only have 5 or so left. Everyone said it was the chemicals that I was using but that was not the case. Those screens are junk and don't buy them anymore. Under the glue they have really deep grind marks. I think this is part of the problem with them, that and the glue job sucks.
I am getting frustrated enough to try Sonny's frames lol! Dont call me Sonny I will call you when I am ready.

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
I had two screen pop like the top picture.  One was on the press and the other was just sitting in the dark room all coated up minding it's own business.  Gerry, what make is that screen?
The top picture is from American Alloy or AA Frames whatever they go by which has lasted quite awhile. Well at least over a year.

The bottom is chinese from a company here in Hayward Ca. Not sure if they stretch them here in the states or not but they are definitely a chinese company. That screen I have only had for a few months.
Ok.  Mine are Xenon's.  Wierd how it split like yours.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »
Ok great so Xenons do the same thing. I am starting to wonder if it is a chemical thing.

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »
I use all Franmar products.  I don't know if they are harsh enough to destroy the mesh. 

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »
That is 3  ripped screens in as many days. I am getting tired of this. I am beginning to think the dip tank solution is weakening something?

Welcome to my world fellas.  Some wonder why I have 3 huge bald spots that just showed up on the back of my head, busted screens has a little to do with it.

You would think Terry would have understood how fragile these things are after everything we talked about and knowing how you threw a fit (he even recanted how you said that your boy using spray tack was just being plain lazy and how much it pissed you off)... you would think he would be more careful.  Still he just kind of flops the screens around. *sigh*

I like when you post stories of your screens busting from so little abuse (the 2" drop) because I quote it to him in passing, like a "poor Alan" story and I hope it makes an impact on how easy it is to bust one and hope that he starts caring a little more.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 08:54:56 PM »

I am getting frustrated enough to try Sonny's frames lol! Dont call me Sonny I will call you when I am ready.

Now that's funny.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 10:18:51 AM »
Seriously now, cheap frames, and they didn't last long--is this surprising? 

BTW as far as the glue discussion goes, deep grind marks aren't a big deal if they clean them well, prime them, and use the proper viscosity glue--which they probably aren't.  Also, there are CA glues and two part glues--as I understand it two part glues hold up better with dip tank chems. 

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »
update: the screens that I had that didn't even last 3 months (many only one time) had a sticker on the end that had www.gold-up.com on it. It is easy to take off so many suppliers will take it off.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
update: the screens that I had that didn't even last 3 months (many only one time) had a sticker on the end that had www.gold-up.com on it. It is easy to take off so many suppliers will take it off.

Yeah I got a bunch of those. They use the red glue. I purchased them direct though

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »
Newman's + good mesh (not Chinese)= good results. You will get what you pay for.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline shellyky

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »
i had 2 static screens in the last 2 weeks or so separate ...were fine in the reclaim process, i opened the screen cabinet to coat them, about a 16" seperation from the glue down the sides....this hasnt happened to me in years, now 2 in 2 weeks...

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »
Screens ripping is another good reason to go with newman frames you can restretch a new screens in a few minutes while the aluminum frame has to sit around or be shipped somewhere to be restretched.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »
Pshaw.  A mechanical stretcher is a few hundred bucks... within the means of all but the most financially challenged shops.   Don't get me wrong, I love rollers, but I also love having screens that weigh 1/2 to 1/3 as much as they do...

Plus, when you restretch your own, and your screens lose tension or pop, you know exactly who to blame.   ;D