Author Topic: how would you print this  (Read 7046 times)

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
Re: how would you print this
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
one color, one screen, pfp and run it through the drier, but doesnt it really depend on what the customer whats and their budget?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »
Do some cleanup first, as that image is rife with jpeg artifacts.

Anyhow, this is what you're after.

Gray undercoats the white
Light Gray, *flash*, white, done.

ed:looks like I still can't type in a hurry..what the heck is a bugshug ( filename )?

There is rarely a need to underbase a gray, unless of course you're on a red or funky polyester garment.
On black, it's a non-issue.

Thanks for taken the time to lay that out Chadwick!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 09:39:31 AM »
one color, one screen, pfp and run it through the drier, but doesnt it really depend on what the customer whats and their budget?

Not always.  Sometimes a job looks like it should be done one way and you know it requires it to be done another way. Like when an artist uses a teal blue and a navy blue on a white tee and he says he only wants one blue but wants both shades.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:42:01 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »
I'll admit that sometimes I throw in an extra screen to make a job look good, as opposed to acceptable, depending on the size of the order and the customer. It just galls me to see something go out the door that could look great but for the lack of another screen. Not the best business model, I suppose, to those who count out every spoonful of ink, and perhaps it's poor salesmanship on my part not being able to make the case to add another color, but I price stuff so that I make enough money regardless and have a bit of wiggle room if necessary or desired.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »
So here i the final result. Unfortunately, due to time restraints, I just did it one color (customer did request to print it grey scale with white on black). I think it's ok, but could have been much better. I really wish I had a little more time to have been able to work the grey in as was suggested.

Quick question for the artists on this board, about what would have been the charge (and turn around time) to have had this file converted for the seps as earlier discussed? Feel free to PM me if you do not want to list a price here. I hate doing a job when I know I could have done it better.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 04:23:16 PM »
Not a bod job for 1 color.   You achieved the look of a gray and a bright white in one color. That is what you want. 

My standard turn time is getting seps back within 3 business days.  That is for 1 color or 14 colors. So, on occasions, you can get your 1-2 color job back within a few hours depending on the load on my schedule at the time but I like to allow for 3 days typically.

The cost for that probably would be in the area of $15.00 for 1 color and $20.00 for 2 colors (for that).  I don't charge by the number of colors. I go by job complexity.  Some 6 color jobs take 45 min. and other 6 color jobs take 3-4 hours.

Pierre gave me one the other day that was 3 colors but took about 3 hours. It had a bunch o layers and it was sort of a high profile job for a very picky customer so we were careful in trying to get it right.

You can use a sep program and you get what you get and then rely on your own skills to make adjustments. If you don't have time to enhance those seps, then they don't really benefit you unless you can pay an employee to tweak them for a while. If you already know how to separate like a pro, you can improve the results you get from those programs and make those seps come out well enough.  Then again, if you can sep like a professional separator, you would not need those programs any longer. Interestingly enough, roughly 80% of my customers do have some sort of separation program or even more than one. I guess I get sent the ones they don't have time for or the more difficult ones that are high profile and need to be as good as they can be.

This one was 8 colors. The cool thing is that the customer needed to get a sample off real quick but didn't have time for the seps so, he shot them off to me. Once he got them back, he printed film, burned screens and had a sample within 30 minutes. No tweaking on press or computer. Straight out of the screen room to the dryer. 15000 shirts.  The sample was approved.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:26:15 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
This one was 8 colors. The cool thing is that the customer needed to get a sample off real quick but didn't have time for the seps so, he shot them off to me. Once he got them back, he printed film, burned screens and had a sample within 30 minutes. No tweaking on press or computer. Straight out of the screen room to the dryer. 15000 shirts.  The sample was approved.

Update.  Customer is running this today. Sent me this email.

"Been running this naked juice today running like a dream.

Nice comfortable 55 doz an hr right now on it....I've run over 4000 only wiped two of the screens twice.".

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 04:20:58 PM »

Update.  Customer is running this today. Sent me this email.

"Been running this naked juice today running like a dream.

Nice comfortable 55 doz an hr right now on it....I've run over 4000 only wiped two of the screens twice.".

Nice work guys! Awesome

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
Not a bod job for 1 color.   You achieved the look of a gray and a bright white in one color. That is what you want. 

My standard turn time is getting seps back within 3 business days.  That is for 1 color or 14 colors. So, on occasions, you can get your 1-2 color job back within a few hours depending on the load on my schedule at the time but I like to allow for 3 days typically.

The cost for that probably would be in the area of $15.00 for 1 color and $20.00 for 2 colors (for that).  I don't charge by the number of colors. I go by job complexity.  Some 6 color jobs take 45 min. and other 6 color jobs take 3-4 hours.

Pierre gave me one the other day that was 3 colors but took about 3 hours. It had a bunch o layers and it was sort of a high profile job for a very picky customer so we were careful in trying to get it right.

You can use a sep program and you get what you get and then rely on your own skills to make adjustments. If you don't have time to enhance those seps, then they don't really benefit you unless you can pay an employee to tweak them for a while. If you already know how to separate like a pro, you can improve the results you get from those programs and make those seps come out well enough.  Then again, if you can sep like a professional separator, you would not need those programs any longer. Interestingly enough, roughly 80% of my customers do have some sort of separation program or even more than one. I guess I get sent the ones they don't have time for or the more difficult ones that are high profile and need to be as good as they can be.

Wow! This looks awesome!

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
Nice job on the 1 color.
I do alot of that, p/f/p. It's quick and it works.
When doing that, I'll pull the levels ( curves ) as far back as I can to aid in the contrast,
while trying not to lose detail due to gain, which, it looks like you did as well.

A nice thing about adding the gray as a base though, is that you underprint your white to give it punch,
without double hitting it ( dot gain ),
and you get another tone to help retain a wider contrast range.
Most folks can't tell the difference unless 2 examples are side by side.

And, you're welcome.
Those seps didn't take any time, I would've spent alot of time fixing the image if it was for real.
I think you understood the example though, which was the point.
Hope it helped.
Cheers.