Author Topic: watches . . . what are you wearing?  (Read 9986 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: watches . . . what are you wearing?
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »
anybody recognize this one?

I don't think I've ever seen one exactly like that in person.  I was in San Antonio over the weekend and I got to spend about 30 minutes in Tourneau trying on watches.  The analogy of a kid in a candy store was not appropriate, it was more extreme than that.  I probably tried on 15 watches, Oris, Omega, Breitling, Cartier, Bremont, U-Boat, Audemars Piquet (Royal Oak Offshore), Luminox, and a few others I've forgotten about.  I was very impressed with the Oris I tried on, it was my favorite watch, unfortunately I can't remember which model it was.

here's the scary thing, most of those are considered entry level into high end watches. Actually, not even sure any would make it (while familiar with AP, not really sure what's inside them, but my gut check would be that they are the only high end watch in there).

Oris is a great company. I have not looked at their watches in a while, but I did buy my wife one. They are one of the best bangs for the buck.

To compare it to cars (which might make some things easier to understand):
Omega is BMW
Oris would be Subaru
Cartie is Lexus
Tag is Infinity
Brietling is Acura

These are all nice, but as mentioned, they are entry level to nice cars.

IWC, JLC, Panerai, Ulysse Nardin, Vacheron, Zenith are your Ferraris, Lambos and Porsches. Usually use prefab movements that are customized. A lot of assembly line production.
Low end models here are $5k or so and they go up to $100k

Glashutte, Parmigiani, Bregute, Patek are your RR, Bently, Zonda and such . . . Mostly hand made from scratch.
They start at $10k for the very low end models and go up to a mil.

Great analogy Pierre.  Owning 2 Omegas and one Breitling, I would consider the Omega a better overall watch, and I certainly wear the Breitling more often than the Omega lately.  My taste in watches is weird, I wouldn't spend a dime on a Tag, but I'd go into deep debt for a Rolex Deepsea.  But I don't like 99% of the Rolex lineup of watches.  The Oris I tried on was $7750, so it was more than any other watch I own, but I wouldn't trade any of my 3 nicest pieces for it.

I've tried on several Zenith's and just don't like the feel of them, too much titanium for me.  If I'm wearing a 50mm watch, I'm the kind of guy that wants to know it.  I like my watches big and heavy, so I almost rule out anything with titanium.  I also would like to mention that for some reason, I just don't like Panerai.  I've tried on 3 different models and from what I've heard, you don't get them till you try them on, and I walked away unimpressed.  When I try watches on, I don't consider price until it's time to buy, so if I know I'm trying on a $20K watch, I'm stilled not going to be swayed by it's price as to what I feel about it.  As a matter of fact, my second favorite watch I tried on the other day was a Luminox Deep Diver 1500 Auto, with a price tag of only 1700.  I would much prefer to wear it over the Panarais I've tried on.  I'd much rather spend 10K for the Rolex Deepsea than the entry level Pan, but that's just my taste in watches.  I haven't seen an A. Lange and Sohne that I would wear every day, or a Patek, and they are the best watches in the world.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »
Okay, all you poo-pooers of wearing a watch in lieu of the ubiquitous cell phone. I was at an amusement park the other day, wearing a cheapy watch and at least 7 people (adults) asked me for the time through out the day.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »
that is funny.

I actually wear a cheapie watch, but I get so many compliments on it. 

Offline Lizard

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2011, 07:29:47 PM »
Rolex Thunderbird!

Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2011, 07:40:08 PM »
Rolex Thunderbird!

very interesting, I did not even know what it was and had to google it!

what's the story behind it? care to share?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »
As much as I'd like too, I can't stand wearing accessories, not even a ring or a hat. Upside is this saves me money...  ;)

Offline Lizard

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »
Rolex Thunderbird!

very interesting, I did not even know what it was and had to google it!

what's the story behind it? care to share?

pierre

It's a datejust with a rotating bezel like a sub.  My dad baught it new in 74 and wore it every day for 36 years.  He passed away recently and now I wear it and always have a piece of him with me.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2012, 02:53:06 PM »
just bought a new watch today. Had it customized slightly, but LOVED the blue and gold glow in the dark.

Swiss ETA movement (2824), made by a local company specializing in heavy duty watches. Hand made dial, assembled in USA. Limited production 89/100. It is rather big, not gigantic, but is very large (44mm). It glows like there is no tomorrow. There is no battery in the watch and it is that bright!'have not bought a watch in many years!

http://www.lum-tec.com/collection/current-models/m-auto/m39-795.html

pierre
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:55:14 PM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »
My kids use to give me watches for Christmas, I stop wearing watches cuz at the time I worked with electric, I have a rolex only sported it a few times, just not a watch guy, but my brother inlaw has a collection of watches.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
pierre, that is a sweet watch.  reminds me of an old joke....

my son wanted a watch for christmas, so next time we did, we let him.

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2012, 10:52:26 AM »
Don't think I've worn a watch in 25 years.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »
Me neither Donnie, quit wearing one in '87 after I got out of the service.
Dale Hoyal

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2012, 11:33:33 AM »
G-SHOCK, BULOVA (THAT I NEVER WEAR) AND ABOUT TEN FOSSIL WATCHES.. BUT THE G-SHOCK GETS MOST OF MY TIME...