Author Topic: CorelDRAW X6 upgrade, Yay or Nay?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
CorelDRAW X6 upgrade, Yay or Nay?
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:45:38 PM »
Almost the same as Sportshoppe's thread a few weeks back which got minimal feedback, but especially with a "limited time" $159 upgrade price, is it thumbs up or down to upgrade from X4?

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4260069&segid=5700008&regionId=3&ym_mid=1429438&ym_rid=146038059
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: CorelDRAW X6 upgrade, Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »
 I Dont remember where reading it, But if you have X4 you should upgrade now because when X7 comes out you wont be eligible for upgrade pricing. Is how I remember it correct?

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »
You know I did not get a whole lot of feed back but the stuff I did get helped me make a decision... Corel X6 with 64 bit
I just got an email from advanced artist and I also talked to him and what he does is awesome. I never thought Corel could do that close to PS. I think the reason I did not get too much feedback is because most here seem to go toward illy, which is fine and probably a great program but I have used corel for quite some time I actually cut my teeth with it so I am not much for change when something is working. Frog if you get a chance check out his vids, he explains alot about the new X6. I decided to go with mk on the switch and just keep my xp for the epson printer drivers. When it all comes together I will let everyone know.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
I Dont remember where reading it, But if you have X4 you should upgrade now because when X7 comes out you wont be eligible for upgrade pricing. Is how I remember it correct?

Yes, like lots of brands, Corel will now only go back two versions for upgrade discounts and compatibility.

Heck there was a time when they were on the honor system!

I will probably continue with my even numbered (every other version) plan of attack.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 04:27:39 PM »
The last version of Corel I owned was OEM 8.0......A few months back I was able to buy an upgrade to X6 for 199.00 after calling them.....So while Corel seems to have a policy, if you are about to hang up on the Corel person on the other end of a call to them, they have the ability to "bend" a little....Not sure if this will always be the case....

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:55:06 PM »
The last version of Corel I owned was OEM 8.0......A few months back I was able to buy an upgrade to X6 for 199.00 after calling them.....So while Corel seems to have a policy, if you are about to hang up on the Corel person on the other end of a call to them, they have the ability to "bend" a little....Not sure if this will always be the case....

I think that all companies can bend a little, but since this is a new policy, they may bend even more for a while.

For more than twenty years, one could merely buy an upgrade version in a store for less than half, and no proof of ownership was needed to get the price, nor to make it work on the machine.
They are justifiably tightening up that policy.