Author Topic: First "large" multicolor job (5 colors) on white.  (Read 5258 times)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: First "large" multicolor job (5 colors) on white.
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 05:22:38 PM »
Yeah I forgot about the ez films, not a bad price at all, but we just have to get better.

Just pulled screens to try and find two decent ones for the full part of the design and barely have that.... And.... They are still wet in the middle!!! We coated them 24 hours ago and had a fan running on the stack for about 6 hours, then covered then for the night. Now I have a fan blasting on them so I can get started!!

You need a dehumidifier....lol
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »
BTW, we still suck at coating screens

I'm a big fan of capillary film. Ulano EZ films work real nice and have a good price point ($1.47/sheet).

Damn, is it that cheap per sheet now?  What size sheet are that cheap?  We have some screens with $1.50 worth of direct emulsion on them so cap film at that price would be a time saver.  I like cap film but they weren't close in price back when I was looking into it, might have to revisit this.

EZ Film always has been that cheap. I think Richard or maybe someone else explained that it was the backer material partially that drove the cost of cap film up previously.  It sounds like they were just making all the cap film for very tight applications and most of the measures taken were actually unnecessary for us lowly shirt printers.  So they savvied up and made a product just from garment printer.  Chromaline's Magnacure was similar in approach though not quite as affordable and a DC not a PP.  Still have some of that lying around, 38µ, it's like five years old and still shoots somehow.  Back then I made up a screwball custom size for our film so it was always super fresh.

We used the big sheets of EZ and it's cheaper or = to direct emulsion costs for Aquasol HVP, bought 4 gallons at a go.  I think our cost per stencil for direct, counting the occasional glitter and shimmer screens and normal waste comes out to about $2 per screen on average.  But you won't be getting the kind of eom out of EZ cap film that you are getting from the direct emulsion.   

I still keep some around for when we're in a pinch on press, need screens and we don't have 'em.  About an hour and we're back at it.

Ulano needs to get on the horse and make some that's about 2x as thick as what they are doing with the EZ.  I presume the bulk of the cost of cap film is in the carrier sheet and process itself, not the actual emulsion. 

Kevin, try some out, you won't be losing any money v. direct emulsion and the stuff excels in bad screen environments.     

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 04:19:41 AM »
Here is a shirt we are doing... why not go big right? *sigh*

We have 260 of these to do with about 30 of them that I have to do tomorrow (yes, I'm charging a rush fee).

How would you guys suggest I print this.

I'm thinking Blue and Yellow last due to the ribbon part.  I'm also thinking about making a jig to let the collar fall in so I'm not printing over it... coroplast tapped on the platten?

Oh, and does everyone think I can get away WOW for all 5 colors?
I`m with you. I have to do 1000 tees by mid of August, 7 color job. That will be the first time I have tro tackle this kind of work on our new automatic. i`m sure I will be posting some question too before I start on that job.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 04:26:43 AM »

1 Yellow
2 Green
3 Red
4 Blue
5 Black

I'd not worry about the Olympic committee. They are in Honduras gettings our revised uniforms done. Besides, this is vaguely connected to olympics. The only thing they could say, is to take the word off.  The rings aren't rings at all. They are filled circles with hands. That's the only two possible connections and like I said, I'd take off the word Olympics, But thats just me. I'm not a  lawyers and do no play one on the internet.   I will say tho, they do like going after people.
Gosh if you would be selling cock rings in the UK that are in the same colors as the Olympic rings they would probably shut you down and slap you with a juicy fine.