Author Topic: So who makes the best panel frame?  (Read 5605 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: So who makes the best panel frame?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »
Mike, Sefar makes a knockoff product of the Newman stuff and it appears are simply calling it "Sefar Roller Mesh" it appears.  I doubt there is any real connection in product.  And, yes, it would make no sense to put a product like Newman Roller Mesh into a non-retenionable scenario. 

So how tight do these panel frames go? 

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
I have six 20x24 Panel/Trax frames. I'm not a huge fan. I like the fact that they're not statics, but the tension on them just isn't all that great. My prints have been looking okay and I don't really do high detailed stuff anyway, but anything over 160 mesh seems to tear way to easily along the edges of the frame. I suppose I should be using newman roller tape or something to protect the edges, but I didn't even mishandle the frames and they started to tear during a job I was printing. Tension seems to settle in the 15-16 newton area. Not an ideal number. I tried double rolling one of my 160 panels for kicks, after I stretched 3 sides the tension was at 30n, then I popped the panel on the final side lol.. I saw that coming. It was nice to briefly feel what a 30n screen feels like though. I can only imagine how much of a joy it is to print on.

Anyway, I guess the good would be that if you don't have a lot of space or don't want to stock a bunch of screens in each mesh type, you can just buy a few of these and stretch the mesh you need for that particular job. I don't plan on buying anymore. I'll probably just use them for simple jobs and throw 110 mesh on all of them since that seems to be the most durable. I'm going to invest in a few EZ frames. I've been dying to get my hands on them.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 09:48:37 PM »
I have six 20x24 Panel/Trax frames. I'm not a huge fan. I like the fact that they're not statics, but the tension on them just isn't all that great. My prints have been looking okay and I don't really do high detailed stuff anyway, but anything over 160 mesh seems to tear way to easily along the edges of the frame. I suppose I should be using newman roller tape or something to protect the edges, but I didn't even mishandle the frames and they started to tear during a job I was printing. Tension seems to settle in the 15-16 newton area. Not an ideal number. I tried double rolling one of my 160 panels for kicks, after I stretched 3 sides the tension was at 30n, then I popped the panel on the final side lol.. I saw that coming. It was nice to briefly feel what a 30n screen feels like though. I can only imagine how much of a joy it is to print on.

Anyway, I guess the good would be that if you don't have a lot of space or don't want to stock a bunch of screens in each mesh type, you can just buy a few of these and stretch the mesh you need for that particular job. I don't plan on buying anymore. I'll probably just use them for simple jobs and throw 110 mesh on all of them since that seems to be the most durable. I'm going to invest in a few EZ frames. I've been dying to get my hands on them.

I find the 110's stabilize in the mid 20s for the most part. But it is inconsistent, some tension drop to the teens immediately and some stabilize just fine. Tensions are probably different between frame sizes.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why the small holes appear all along the edges. It's smooth along them edges yet small holes appear. I tried different taping techniques but it still happens, it's obviously an issue where the mesh touchs the frame it self, a spot that cannot be taped. My best guess is the powder coating is breaking down and producing tiny burrs, that's one of the issues with these frames and that's the powder coating.

Plus out of fifty several are warped, they didn't,t come that way so all I can assume is stress from the mesh and stress from the printing causes some to warp.

I never tried double rolling but of I do I will sit the panels out in the baking sun first with the hope they have some stretch in them from being heated who knows.
"No man is an island"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »
It seems to me, that though counter-intuitive,  that screens tighten up in the heat
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »
I dunno... post exposure washout, we subject our screens to finish drying outside in this hot August sun. No poblems with busting or not registering on press. But watch out, those rollers will burn your hands when transporting them back in to the shop.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 10:09:14 PM »
So, here's an assignment for someone with a meter. Measure the same screen at hugely different temps and see if there is a significant difference.  Heck, you can even use a non-contact thermometer to read the temperature of the mesh itself.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 10:13:19 PM »
Years ago when I worked for a screen making company I remember the head guy always saying to allow the bolts of mesh to a climate in the temp controlled part of the shop. I just assume the mesh would be more elastic when hot.
"No man is an island"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 10:19:49 PM »
I think I remember,  back when I was a mere tad doing time in a funky old shop,  funky old frames put on top of the dryer (yeah, it was funky too) to tighten them up. I assume that the mesh was shrinking.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 10:30:21 PM »
Heat causes expansion in everything I know of though.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »
I am not thinking about expansion or contraction at all just pliability.

Andy may be right tho heat does cause plastics to shrink, like the plastic for drafty windows when hit with a blow dryer it shrinks up to a nice taut sheet.
"No man is an island"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »
Or that expensive rayon jersey with the multi-color cad cut design!   ;D

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 11:17:45 PM »
Does it not expand before it contracts?

It expands before it gets damaged and starts to shrink... I think.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 12:36:20 AM »
Like I said before. I don't have all of the answers.
Try it tomorrow morning. Get a temp and tension check on a screen when it's still reasonably cool, stick it on top of your dryer for a few hours or send it down with the belt going pretty fast and get that temp on it up 30 or 40 degrees and get another tension reading.  I'm as interested as you in the results.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »
Gilli, what happens to you when you go in the cold pool. IT shrinks!!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:31 AM »
Gilli, what happens to you when you go in the cold pool. IT shrinks!!!

OMG that has me laughing my arse off!
"No man is an island"