Author Topic: Putting an M3 in a rear clamp (Antec Legend)  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Putting an M3 in a rear clamp (Antec Legend)
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »
Probably the latter... they basically told me the same.  They offer them but don't recommend them because they engineer the press for rear clamps and they don't see the benefit of side clamps.

Yeah, my guy already whipped the m3 around too fast once and had it fall.  I THINK this was before I "beefed" up the springs or maybe it caused me to beef them up, I don't remember right now.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »
The side clamp thing was much more of an issue, and benefit years back when wood was the frame of choice, and had a tendency to warp. The side clamps leveled out those suckers.
The ability to do the old in-out thing (for name drops and such) is pretty much an added benefit, but a benefit nonetheless
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 12:28:35 AM »
I'll concede that modern alum frames probably don't need the side clamps if they are at "manual" sizes, no longer than 24" or so. 

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »
What I like about side clamps is that I don't have to be precise with where I burn the image on the screen , can gang up designs and mount teh frame backwards, mount auto frames on the manual just as easy as a manual or alum frame. The benefits are too great not to have them IMHO. The wood frame scenario maybe be the reason why they exist but the benefits to my shop are too great to go back to a rear clamping configuration. I think all presses should come standard with side clamps.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:50:43 AM by endless ink printing »

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »
I`m eye balling an antec press so far i look at the brochure DK. was nice to send
one of the features i like you can move the pallets just like an auto press
that would come handy for name drops that said.
after looking closer at antec legeng i don`t think it m3 is feasible with back clamps they are heavy and all round
how about using the shur locs frames they are square and lighter with higher tension capabilities than regular frames
just a thought
Gabe

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »
I`m eye balling an antec press so far i look at the brochure DK. was nice to send
one of the features i like you can move the pallets just like an auto press
that would come handy for name drops that said.
after looking closer at antec legeng i don`t think it m3 is feasible with back clamps they are heavy and all round
how about using the shur locs frames they are square and lighter with higher tension capabilities than regular frames
just a thought
Gabe

my blue M3's are actually pretty light , its the chase frames that I have weight issues with

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »
First option would be buy those Vastex arms.

I think the ultimate solution is to buy a Chameleon press lol! :o

The reason I say Chameleon is this.  If you keep growing, at some point your're going to go auto.  If you go auto your best option is to use the M&R pallet mount type, on whatever press you get.  While your Antec collects dust in the corner you're printing shirts on the auto.  Then you're going to want to do pockets/sleeves in large and small runs.  You buy a set of sleeve pallets for your auto and realize that it sucks to swap out all the pallets on your auto for sleeve pallets for a 24 piece order.  That means the Antec will undoubtedly have sleeve pallets left on it 90% of the time for smaller runs.  If you had a Chameleon you'd only have to worry about one pallet type for all your presses, you could use your tri-loc, that you'll buy after a month or so running the auto, and you'd be much better off.

Anyone want to buy my 6/4 Legend?? lol

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »
I won't have room for the 6/4 after I get an auto.  I'll keep my jiffy clamps for the odd sleeve or maybe a vacuum table.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »

Funny you say that.. the shop across the street who does overflow printing for us, has a 14 color cham that has not been used in 5 years! Its a coat rack and a place to hang samples.

I work on an 8 color cham doing samples and small runs all day so the autos don't have to so it really depends on the shop.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »

Funny you say that.. the shop across the street who does overflow printing for us, has a 14 color cham that has not been used in 5 years! Its a coat rack and a place to hang samples.

I work on an 8 color cham doing samples and small runs all day so the autos don't have to so it really depends on the shop.

My Legend is the screen taping station now and little else.  The rare sleeve print in quantities under 50, or most recently, 4"x6" polyester capes for stuffed monkeys lol.  Now that I'm switching to newmans, I'll need to either change presses, buy vastex arms, or keep statics on hand solely for the manual press.  Last being the most likely option that will end up biting me in the ass a time or two due to lack of planning.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »
I agree that you should have consistent frame sizes, print areas, tooling, etc. on all your presses but, the chameleon and I guess the sidewinder are the only two presses that can enable this effectively and efficiently without adapters, workarounds, jerry rigging and the like.  (Anatol manuals are not engineered to accomodate auto screens, they are falsely implying/advertising this and have put about zero thought into the matter, so don't bother with those models if you are using M3s)

The chameleon is a sampling press and not optimal for production imho so that leaves you with one option there which is kind of a bummer not having any selection but I hear the sw is a fine press all the same. 

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »
My Lawson HD MAX 6 color has side clamps and spins my mzx's like a champ!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:10 PM »
The chameleon is a sampling press and not optimal for production imho so that leaves you with one option there which is kind of a bummer not having any selection but I hear the sw is a fine press all the same.

Let's rephrase that.. I production run all the time using mzx's.

it's when you load it with M3's and have 14 of them.. it's a nightmare!

Check this out.. it's a 7 color discharge run on the press at work..

http://www.facebook.com/BlacktopGraphics  scroll down, it's the highlight video. Ran 48 of these shirts lickity split!

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 10:10:15 PM »
The chameleon is a sampling press and not optimal for production imho

That depends. The 14 color, yes that is a nightmare for much more than color sampling. I had a 8 color with side clamps and air, I used all M3's on it. No problems at all using it for production.

However - I am 6'3" @ 215. Smaller printers might not like it so much.

The Sidewinder, even with side clamps is super easy to spin. I almost bought one after giving it a whirl at ISS. I didn't want to give up my extra 2 colors though.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »
Agreed on the chameleon.  we ran ours with the big m3s and it was an eight color.  I'm about 5' 6", 135 lbs and didn't mind  the weight of but out annoyed me when the o.c. would walk and the platens went out of level often.  I think both issues are weight related.  Our other printers at the time did not care for it though- to heavy they said.