Author Topic: anyone using Epson 3000?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

anyone using Epson 3000?
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:02:34 PM »
...hey gang...Im getting my hands on a refurb Epson 3000, so I can make larger films than my 1400 makes. Is there a refillable cart/ink that you guys use, and where do you get it? I prefer to use something proven by the board members rather than hit-and miss googling.

...As a side note, Id just like to give a big ol' "attaboy" to the founders and members of the new board here. Its nice to share and learn again without all the BS! I will make an effort to post more in the future, starting with my "Franken-dryer" project next week!...... ;D
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: anyone using Epson 3000?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »
...hey gang...Im getting my hands on a refurb Epson 3000, so I can make larger films than my 1400 makes. Is there a refillable cart/ink that you guys use, and where do you get it? I prefer to use something proven by the board members rather than hit-and miss googling.

...As a side note, Id just like to give a big ol' "attaboy" to the founders and members of the new board here. Its nice to share and learn again without all the BS! I will make an effort to post more in the future, starting with my "Franken-dryer" project next week!...... ;D

I have one and use it for film output white the 1400 is the backup and it prints the color proofs. . .  our 3000 is black only and I use regular cartridges from compandsave.com they are $6-7 and last about 6 weeks each printing 10-12 films per day. Not worth messing with the refills for that kind of money.

Our films are pretty decent, but there is always room for improvement. Douglas recently suggested ink with better UV opacity (specifically designed for film production), and I would not mind trying it out.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Northland

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:12:17 PM »

I will make an effort to post more in the future, starting with my "Franken-dryer" project next week!...... ;D
Franken-dryer... I like it already !
I've got a chopped dryer... took an 11' and cut it down to 8'.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »
If I recall correctly, the Epson 3000 carts are in the neighborhood of 30ml each and as mentioned above, replacements are pretty cheap.  When I was using mine, I just bought replacements as they ran out and didn't worry about any type of refill.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
I use one and bought 8 black cart. bout 2 months ago... $8 each.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:24:19 PM »
If I recall correctly, the Epson 3000 carts are in the neighborhood of 30ml each and as mentioned above, replacements are pretty cheap.  When I was using mine, I just bought replacements as they ran out and didn't worry about any type of refill.

actually, 3000 has 110ml cartridges, that's why they last so long.  . .

on the down side, it is loud and rattles as it prints. It is also missing some of the features newer printers have. It still works fine though.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline prozyan

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »

actually, 3000 has 110ml cartridges, that's why they last so long.  . .

Ah, I quit using mine just over three years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy.  I just recall they were freakin' huge.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »
I print with a 3000 and have a 3000 for backup.
I use genuine Epson ink carts. I buy them whenever I see them Craigslist or ebay, etc for cheap. Never pay more $15/cart! Sometimes I'll buy a working or non-working 3000 because it comes with more ink than the printer is worth.
I hear you can use non-Epson inks carts, I think problems arise when you mix ink brands. Whatever ink you choose to run, stay consistent and stay with that brand.
Epson ink prints dark and beautiful, I'm not sure what kind of performance non-Epson inks produce.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline squeezee

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 02:36:48 PM »
They have 110ml cartridges.  You can use the Epson 9000 220ml cartridges, though you have to break the lugs off.
They are excellent workhorses if a little slow and low resolution.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)