Author Topic: Stencil Remover  (Read 7222 times)

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Stencil Remover
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
Wait....it was actually Ickee Stickee Unstuck I used, not Stripee Doo...after dribbling on the Goo Gone.  Sorry. I'll correct that post in a minute.

I found that if I could dribble the Goo Gone in the track, and get just the tinyest bit of movement out of one end of the stuck strip, I could work it back and forth getting more and more of the strip to free up. I employed the Ickee Stickee Unstuck as a last resort. It barely evaporates, leaving the "stuff" right where you need it for a loooong time. Needle nose pliers, or needle nose Vice Grips are invaluable.

But the whole seized-up locking strip thang....that's what I want to avoid. It seems to me that it would be worse with a dip tank, due to sediment in the tank. I could be wrong.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »
Wait....it was actually Ickee Stickee Unstuck I used, not Stripee Doo...after dribbling on the Goo Gone.  Sorry. I'll correct that post in a minute.

I found that if I could dribble the Goo Gone in the track, and get just the tinyest bit of movement out of one end of the stuck strip, I could work it back and forth getting more and more of the strip to free up. I employed the Ickee Stickee Unstuck as a last resort. It barely evaporates, leaving the "stuff" right where you need it for a loooong time. Needle nose pliers, or needle nose Vice Grips are invaluable.

But the whole seized-up locking strip thang....that's what I want to avoid. It seems to me that it would be worse with a dip tank, due to sediment in the tank. I could be wrong.

I thought that is what you might have meant but I wasn't gonna question success. ;)

Yeah, I have the same concerns about the dip tank... I wonder if some pvc stand offs on the bottom might help it from at least sitting directly in the muck.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 05:03:26 PM »
I know with static's you need a hold down cause they will float. With the weight of rollers it probably will sink by itself to the bottom

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »
I know with static's you need a hold down cause they will float. With the weight of rollers it probably will sink by itself to the bottom

But we want to keep it OFF the bottom. :)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 06:01:30 PM »
I know, hey there's an advantage to statics

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 06:09:07 PM »
I know, hey there's an advantage to statics

If you say so Gerry. ;)

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »
Goop on the bottom, I made a scoop to scrape the crud off the bottom.

Stuck locking strips, PB Blaster and let it soak or slit the strip with a sharp knife and pry out. Older frames see the dip below.

Clean grove out, bent flat screw driver and Scotch Brite pad.

Stencil remover, One Stroke reclaiming powder. We haven't purchased it for a while but remember it was pretty cheap and worked well. One package of powder to five gallons of water.

Old gunk off frames, brake clean but it may remove the coating off the frames.

Gunk off old frames already missing coating or ones the coating is chipping or coming off, dip in a mild mixture of oxalic, muriatic acids and water, same solution for radiators. Dip frames for about 5 min, lightly scrub with a brush and flood with fresh water rinse.

Leaking bolts and old frames with plastic caps, seal washers. They are hard flat washers with a bonded rubber insert that will seal around the bolt and frame.