Author Topic: MAC questions  (Read 8188 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: MAC questions
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »
As I said, I'm SURE there is a "third party" solution to this if there isn't one built in.  And lets face it, if Steve Jobs won't admit that Bill Gates had a good idea with the 2nd mouse button then you KNOW he won't give him NTFS. ;)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
hey according to strongbad, you should stop rubbing that "plastic bar of soap around on the desk."

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail153.html

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »
LOVES me some Strongbad!

Just made my daughter watch the Trogdor episode the other day.

Does anyone here happen to print for those guys?  I had a few of their shirts about a decade ago.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 02:26:04 PM »
I love the "kind of cool" because Senior Cardgage drags around an Aldi bag.  Sweet.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »
If you plug an external HD into an iMac, it should just recognize it and you're good to go. If not, there is something wrong with the HD, at least in my experience. I just had to get a new one at home as my 7 year old one had it's power supply go. I got the new one, took the drive out of the old one, hooked it up to an old external PS I had, and it was instantly recognized by the new iMac. Pretty easy stuff.

Steve

I pulled the hard drive out of my wife's defunct Toshiba laptop, put it in a $15 USB enclosure, and plugged it into my MacBook. Saved all of her music and data files to DVD plus transferred them to her HP laptop over our wireless network at home.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 04:39:47 PM »
Just got back from New Haven Apple store, wow what an experience this place was! It is dead center of Yale so you can imagine what the crowd was like and busier than star bucks right next door was. Yet the second we walked in we had an associate helping us. Bought the IMAC 21.5, upgraded to 2.7Ghz   1TB drive and 8 gig RAM plus the graphic card. Bought Fusion right there as well! All purchased and the guy says want to set it up quick, huh? I am like how liong will that take, thinking hour plus, nope he said ten minutes tops. Sure enough un packed up and running in less than ten, set up my IMAP emails in 10 seconds, set up my Icloud which i already have through my Ipad. Meanshile as pretty as the Macs are in the store my eyes were about to come out of my head with the women from Yale walking around wow!

"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 05:00:04 PM »
Well, you aren't actually INSTALLING OS X... it's just the final steps of setting it up.  Not unlike any big name brand PC.  They don't take but a few minutes to put in your name and configure the last minute stuff.

Why didn't you go with more ram?  Granted if you can pop the cover and do it yourself you will save a ton of money vs the in store "upgrade".  That goes for any manufacture.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 07:44:57 PM »
Just got back from New Haven Apple store, wow what an experience this place was! It is dead center of Yale so you can imagine what the crowd was like and busier than star bucks right next door was. Yet the second we walked in we had an associate helping us. Bought the IMAC 21.5, upgraded to 2.7Ghz   1TB drive and 8 gig RAM plus the graphic card. Bought Fusion right there as well! All purchased and the guy says want to set it up quick, huh? I am like how liong will that take, thinking hour plus, nope he said ten minutes tops. Sure enough un packed up and running in less than ten, set up my IMAP emails in 10 seconds, set up my Icloud which i already have through my Ipad. Meanshile as pretty as the Macs are in the store my eyes were about to come out of my head with the women from Yale walking around wow!
Ya mean like THIS?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »
And congrats on the iMac, too. Not the cheapest, but worth every penny!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 08:14:06 AM »
Welcome to the Mac world :)

You'll like it there

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »
Thanks guys, just about to set everything up on it. Only concern i have is I might not have a full win cd only upgrades, thats going to suck if we have to spend a couple hundred more for something we already have ugh.

Hey Gilligan I am right with you we only took the upgrade RAM on the spot because it includes other upgrades as well for an ok price but I do plan on doubling the RAM. I have extra sticks of several RAMS DD3 dual etc but not sure if any would work in the MAC. Is MAC Ram and PC the same animals?
"No man is an island"

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/1333DDR3S16P/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=CPPujZbv-LECFUXf4AodoSoAsw

16 Gig memory for new iMac

Nice! Thanks Dennis. Mike you are going to love the stability of that thing. I run 8 gigs of ram and a 1 gig graphics card on my Imac and it handles everything I throw at it.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »
They are the SAME animal Mike.  Just get the specs and plug it in.

All those "mac" sites would LOVE for you to believe there is fairy dust in those sticks of ram they sell.

Check this out... at least newegg has sane prices unlike that site Denis posted... geez man!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231576
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231531

The difference in the model number is that one has an "L" in it.  I bet you might as well say that the L stands for "Lower markup".

All the specs are IDENTICAL.

Do some googling you will find that most people will tell you the same.  Memory is made to a standard... it has to to work in the mother boards.  As long as you are buying a quality stick of ram it is all the SAME.

OR, I could put a Mac sticker on it for you for an additional $30 bucks. ;)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »
I posted it for the model, not the price. It was the first one when I googled it. :)