Author Topic: Ryont inkjet films  (Read 16989 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Ryont inkjet films
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »
Got a call last week for printing polypropylene bags in the 10K/1 color range. Gave him my best
price and I'm still ten times the cost for the same thing in China, and I knew it.

We would likely produce a better product at a much shorter lead time but for some that
does not matter.

Fella lacked the wherewithal not to ask why we're so much more. I asked him if he wanted
to work for Chinese wages in America...

EB, "Clearly you are marking up your product way too much." ;)

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »
inkjetfilm or Cameron is the manufacturer, SO, let everyone try but I doubt they can beat him.  And its a great product.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »
Got a call last week for printing polypropylene bags in the 10K/1 color range. Gave him my best
price and I'm still ten times the cost for the same thing in China, and I knew it.

We would likely produce a better product at a much shorter lead time but for some that
does not matter.

Fella lacked the wherewithal not to ask why we're so much more. I asked him if he wanted

What was your price on 10k 1 color?  (1 side? or 2)?  Just curious where you are at compared to the 10 times less in China.  Was the China price including shipping?  I've competed in quotes with some China work.  Time shipping was in there I was competitive and certainly the wait time with me was way better.

If a client is okay with that type of wait time then there isn't a lot you can do about it, and I agree your product is likely better if not much better, but that's not to say there aren't good China Printers.  Just few and far between.  I wouldn't say ALL are bad.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 01:34:11 PM »
Quality varies HUGE with inkjet films.

Got some stuff from Ryonet quite a few years back that was unusable garbage.
Not sure if that's changed.

I can usually tell if it's any good by licking my finger and touching the print side
of the film. Big stick = good.

Lastly, more than I hate garbage offshore manufacturing, I hate the American folks that
take American business and send it that way.

A few years back I got a call from a print broker that was looking for artwork for a client
that had done some large numbers with us in the past. This lady (from one of the wealthier
towns around here) specifically stated on her web page that they would provide bottom price
point products by going to overseas manufacturing. Eff that noise.

Funny thing is she had a copy of a mockup we had sent the company that had perfectly
usable vector artwork, and her foreign counterpart was either too dimwitted or tired of her
BS and told her it wasn't usable. It came to her pretty much asking me to modify the art
and send it to her so she could use it to take business away from us, no charge of course.
There is nothing that enrages me more than folks trying to get rich without lifting a finger,
at the price of someone else losing work. The realtors of the print world.

Just thinking about it makes me want to print a million stickers deriding her business.
Not that I care much about the loss of the client, just that people like that need to not
exist.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 01:35:01 PM »

does not matter.

EB, "Clearly you are marking up your product way too much." ;)

If company X and company Y are buying the same or very similar product at the same or similar price and they are both coming from "China" but one is half the price then id have to wonder why pay more.  Being that many inkjet film suppliers are probably getting it from China be it directly or indirectly and some are as much as 2x or more the price as others, its clear to me that someone is keeping more than they should.  Pay more if you like, but be sure if you are gonna pull out the "he must be getting it in China" card that your guy isn't as well...... LOL.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »

What was your price on 10k 1 color?  (1 side? or 2)?  Just curious where you are at compared to the 10 times less in China.  Was the China price including shipping?  I've competed in quotes with some China work.  Time shipping was in there I was competitive and certainly the wait time with me was way better.

If a client is okay with that type of wait time then there isn't a lot you can do about it, and I agree your product is likely better if not much better, but that's not to say there aren't good China Printers.  Just few and far between.  I wouldn't say ALL are bad.

$0.38/side, single color. He was paying $0.04.

If his clients need them faster we'll have the work, but that's beside the point.
How can you even ask why China is cheaper?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
Quality varies HUGE with inkjet films.

Got some stuff from Ryonet quite a few years back that was unusable garbage.
Not sure if that's changed.

I can usually tell if it's any good by licking my finger and touching the print side
of the film. Big stick = good.

Lastly, more than I hate garbage offshore manufacturing, I hate the American folks that
take American business and send it that way.

A few years back I got a call from a print broker that was looking for artwork for a client
that had done some large numbers with us in the past. This lady (from one of the wealthier
towns around here) specifically stated on her web page that they would provide bottom price
point products by going to overseas manufacturing. Eff that noise.

Funny thing is she had a copy of a mockup we had sent the company that had perfectly
usable vector artwork, and her foreign counterpart was either too dimwitted or tired of her
BS and told her it wasn't usable. It came to her pretty much asking me to modify the art
and send it to her so she could use it to take business away from us, no charge of course.
There is nothing that enrages me more than folks trying to get rich without lifting a finger,
at the price of someone else losing work. The realtors of the print world.

Just thinking about it makes me want to print a million stickers deriding her business.
Not that I care much about the loss of the client, just that people like that need to not
exist.

Are you all USA?  Garments, Inks, Film, Machines, components within your machines, steel in your building, bricks in the building, wood, nails, etc?  Just curious. 

I hear a lot of USA Chest thumpers that are often hypocrites when you get down to it (not saying you are at all just making a point here).

I try to throw business to USA first, but there is a line you have to draw.  Hell I have 2 USA made screen print presses (Vastex and M&R).  But they are backed up well by service and support that I was willing to pay for.  Folks we are talking about film, what support or service do we need?  If we are talking Apples to Apples and the difference is price is where?  I have to save my business money where it makes sense.  What am I getting for 2x the price of this film elsewhere? 

Offline mavgraph

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
I try to have the best pricing on film but there wil ALWAYS be someone lower. That's just the nature of the beast. People have come to us for 10 years due to our service and pricing. That's great that the other place has lower pricing. Maybe they have lower overhead, who knows. If the price keeps going lower I go out of business, and maybe others. Then you have 1-2 suppliers and price goes up. Econ 101
Brad
Maverick Graphic Supply 877-MAVERIK brad@maverickgraphicsupply.com
www.maverickgraphicsupply.com
Your #1 Choice For Inkjet and Laser Film
Adopt a Beagle! www.brewbeagles.org

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »
Didn't you read, he can compete with China and he pays his employees and entire fleet of Chinese worker's wages.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
Side note:

Down here in Louisiana crawfish is obviously a big industry.  There is a big thing with "don't buy chinese crawfish" by just about everyone.  This is because everyone around here knows someone who knows someone who farms crawfish.  Though I TOTALLY respect that, I do find it funny that these same people are scoffing at these "chinese crawfish" while they are shopping for all their chinese made goods in walmart!

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, no chest thumping here. Hell, is it even possible to buy an
American made computer?

My gripe is with:

A. The people who literally steer companies towards overseas manufacturing to make
a few bucks for themselves at the cost of a few bucks for a whole lot of American workers.
Usually the get-rich-quick/do nothing type.

B. Folks that do not understand why something made in America might cost more. these are
typically the folks that could give a rats behind about quality. Whatever.

For some of this we only have ourselves to blame. Take the auto industry for example. You couldn't
pay me to own %99 of American made cars from about 1992 to 2011.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 02:25:13 PM »
Toyota Camry is made in the US. ;)

I know exactly what Gilligan is talking about.  People are very selective when it comes to what beliefs they want to follow and when.

I try and avoid chinese food period.  Unless it's baby formula, because a little melamine helps a body grow.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 02:31:22 PM »
I remember a theory awhile back that the Chinese are putting their industrial waste products into new products
they sell us. Slick move if they are.

And Gilligan, I also remember that the California delta used to ship large amounts of crawdads to
the southeast...

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »

$0.38/side, single color. He was paying $0.04.

If his clients need them faster we'll have the work, but that's beside the point.
How can you even ask why China is cheaper?

That's about where I am on that, I am $.30 per side (1 color).  I was just curious.  I wouldn't even try to get the job at $.04 each either.  Was $.04 each shipping included?

When did I ask why China is cheaper, I am fully aware of why China is cheaper.  I am the son of a

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »
Side note:

Down here in Louisiana crawfish is obviously a big industry.  There is a big thing with "don't buy chinese crawfish" by just about everyone.  This is because everyone around here knows someone who knows someone who farms crawfish.  Though I TOTALLY respect that, I do find it funny that these same people are scoffing at these "chinese crawfish" while they are shopping for all their chinese made goods in walmart!

Exactly my point!  LOL.