Author Topic: Ryont inkjet films  (Read 16740 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Ryont inkjet films
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 02:37:43 PM »
I am the son of a

beach?
Son of the Beach Intro

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 02:43:03 PM »
Never said you asked why China is cheaper, I was referring to the print broker that
asked me.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, no chest thumping here. Hell, is it even possible to buy an
American made computer?

True story there.  We all just keep buying them too.

My gripe is with:

A. The people who literally steer companies towards overseas manufacturing to make
a few bucks for themselves at the cost of a few bucks for a whole lot of American workers.
Usually the get-rich-quick/do nothing type.

I agree on a few bucks, I don't agree at 2x the price.  I am all for made in the USA when it is a reasonable option.  2x the price does not fall into reasonable to me.

B. Folks that do not understand why something made in America might cost more. these are
typically the folks that could give a rats behind about quality. Whatever.

For sure there, there are a lot of people have no idea why it costs less to be made there.  But to say all of it is crap is a stretch, I use a iPhone daily, made in China.  China can have great quality, if the manufacture wants it to be.  This has less to do with the workers than it does with the people checking quality or setting a level of quality from the start. 

For some of this we only have ourselves to blame. Take the auto industry for example. You couldn't
pay me to own %99 of American made cars from about 1992 to 2011.

I would generally agree, I did however buy a 2004 Chevy Diesel brand new in 2004.  Now it does have a Isuzu diesel motor in it, so the quality is there on that, but the rest of the truck (made in america) has fell apart far worse than anything I owned other than that (mostly all Toyota before that).  I think you can say the same thing about quality of American made items at times as you can about China.  In the end if the manufacture doesn't care the employees surely wont. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »
Never said you asked why China is cheaper, I was referring to the print broker that
asked me.

Got ya.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »
I've trained my daughter not to shop at walmart and her and her boyfriend when shopping the other day and he wanted to go to walmart (he was buying on this trip).  He spent almost double what she spends and they bought basically the same thing.  There is a HUGE slight of hand going on that "walmart is cheaper" when in reality it isn't and if it is it's not by enough to justify selling your soul.

My mother-in-law is a prime example of someone who will buy all day from walmart but then the other day she refused to buy some avocados because they were from Mexico.  LOL  That's what watching Fox News 24/7 will do to you though.

Getting even further from the point is the people that will argue that we don't trade with Cuba because they are communist, as they say to me on their chinese built iPhone. ;)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »

What was your price on 10k 1 color?  (1 side? or 2)?  Just curious where you are at compared to the 10 times less in China.  Was the China price including shipping?  I've competed in quotes with some China work.  Time shipping was in there I was competitive and certainly the wait time with me was way better.

If a client is okay with that type of wait time then there isn't a lot you can do about it, and I agree your product is likely better if not much better, but that's not to say there aren't good China Printers.  Just few and far between.  I wouldn't say ALL are bad.

I think you 0.38 per bag is way too high.....On 3,000+ bags, my main tote bag supplier charges 0.06 per bag for a 1 colour 1 location print....And they print in either Chicago or Phoenix...But if I need to quote direct from China, then it is 0.015 per bag for a 1 colour 1 location imprint....
The tote bag suppliers have got the printing down to a science and do it very cheap...

$0.38/side, single color. He was paying $0.04.

If his clients need them faster we'll have the work, but that's beside the point.
How can you even ask why China is cheaper?

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 07:43:01 PM »
inkjetfilm.net is the best we have tried, and Cameron is a cool guy!
I would love to try their products but
a) they don`t have 14" rolls
and
b) it looks like they unfortunately don`t ship abroad.

But I might as well email them and ask if they can ship to far far away lands.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 07:49:26 PM »
and

I will ask Cameron myself, arent you in Japan, dont know about that far away, but I will quiz him.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »
and

I will ask Cameron myself, arent you in Japan, dont know about that far away, but I will quiz him.
Hey it`s just on the other side of the Pacific;)
Anyway, thanks for asking him.
Chromaline used to get all their films made in Japan before switching production to the US. They never felt like sharing with me who made those films for them in Japan and I doubt I would have saved any cash at all if I would have been able to buy straight of the manufacturer. The price would probably have doubled.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
I remember paying $210 for a box of 13x19 back in the day, 5 years ago.  I can't believe how much cheaper it is now.  I hated paying that SOB that much for that box of film when I knew it wasn't worth that much, just another reason why I dislike the guy.  Their price dropped in half within a few months when there was new competition from Chromaline and Davis International.  Funny how many options there are out there now, and for well under 100 per 100 sheets.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »

I think you 0.38 per bag is way too high.....On 3,000+ bags, my main tote bag supplier charges 0.06 per bag for a 1 colour 1 location print....And they print in either Chicago or Phoenix...But if I need to quote direct from China, then it is 0.015 per bag for a 1 colour 1 location imprint....
The tote bag suppliers have got the printing down to a science and do it very cheap...

Ahem.

Let's do some math here. Six cents a bag X 700 pcs/hr (that's pretty quick, and about as fast as we can sustain for
long periods) = $42 dollars per hour. This is per press of course, and assuming two operators.

Not sure what minimum wage or rent is in Chicago or Phoenix, but I'd wager someone (likely the
employees) is getting screwed.

Then again, maybe they use cylinder presses or something.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 09:29:50 PM »
I just did 5000 cotton totes for $0.30 ea. and I should have priced it $.05 - .10 higher.

We didn't lose money, but there wasn't a lot left on the plate after paying 2.5 people a decent wage.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »
I just did 5000 cotton totes for $0.30 ea. and I should have priced it $.05 - .10 higher.

We didn't lose money, but there wasn't a lot left on the plate after paying 2.5 people a decent wage.

Been there and done that recently.  I thought I was a hot shot by getting a 4K piece job and doing it for cheaper than everyone else, .35, and a day and a half later I figured it wasn't really worth it.  Easy print but damn, hard work for not much money when it's all said and done.  Sure we made money, but we would have made a lot more if we would have done 10 regular jobs and charged setups and dollars per shirt than a couple dimes per shirt.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 10:18:09 PM »
Has anyone here an idea who is making the inkjet films for Ryonet.I assume they just buy of some other brand and get them relabled. Any users on the board here?

Late to the game here but we tried ryonets film on a roll about a year ago when they had a buy one get the 2nd 50% off - let's just say the waterproofing wasnt the greatest. We were using it with chromaline's UDC-2, which is tacky like chromablue, and the waterproofing kept ripping off along with the ink. We switched back to chromaline's film and the issue drastically reduced/stopped almost entirely.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
It will be interesting to see just how much margin there is and how low prices can go if film wars break out.
That's where screen suppliers may lose the edge to manufacturers and importers.

Also interesting will be if there will be any push to pay a little more for American made.

I am all for buying american at some level of a premium.  I do believe at some point though you have to really consider how much it is costing you.  There is cost and then there is retarded.  LOL.

Yes,   I can imagine thats what the owners of Weirton Steel said also.  THis is my home town. My dad worked here for w while and was laid off. Then he started his business a Dog Groomer.

http://www.coalcampusa.com/rustbelt/wv/wv.htm

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/july-dec05/steel_10-27.html
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850