Author Topic: Ever get a screen stolen while drying in the sun?  (Read 3363 times)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: Ever get a screen stolen while drying in the sun?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 03:19:05 PM »
Talk about lame.

I keep thinking it'd be a fun project to hook up an audio sample player to a motion detector by the back door...  something like a semi-auto pistol or pump action shotgun cocking?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
Sadly if you have a convertible they recommend that you leave your car unlocked otherwise someone might slit your top to get into it and that is more expensive than whatever is probably inside it (as well as they will get it either way.)

I had a Jeep Wrangler softtop with soft side windows. They cut the window on the passenger's side, which I didn't notice until the next morning. Stole small change out of the ashtray, some CDs, most of which were worthless ones burned by me, and a small toolbox with a, $18 multimeter and some electrical terminals and tape. Nothing taken was worth the $75 it cost me to replace the upper door piece, and I got off easy only being out that, but it just goes to show you that they'll steal anything, whether or not they can turn it around into cash.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »
I bet you could find some pretty stuff as a scrap yard manager.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »
Not a scrap yard, but I read an article years ago about a guy that worked at a dump and built his entire house out of stuff he salvaged there.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
Sadly if you have a convertible they recommend that you leave your car unlocked otherwise someone might slit your top to get into it and that is more expensive than whatever is probably inside it (as well as they will get it either way.)

I had a Jeep Wrangler softtop with soft side windows. They cut the window on the passenger's side, which I didn't notice until the next morning. Stole small change out of the ashtray, some CDs, most of which were worthless ones burned by me, and a small toolbox with a, $18 multimeter and some electrical terminals and tape. Nothing taken was worth the $75 it cost me to replace the upper door piece, and I got off easy only being out that, but it just goes to show you that they'll steal anything, whether or not they can turn it around into cash.

My son had a jeep wrangler back about 6 years and was living in an apartment with open parking in the back.  They cut through the back to get in and ripped, and I do mean ripped out the factory radio.  Completely trashed the dash.  So even if you leave them unlocked, don't mean you're any safer for loss.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 11:30:53 PM »
One of the reasons that I love my hardtop convertible that someone here could not understand (and even ridiculed). The best of both worlds. Top down motoring with the security of a coupe. I can actually drive and park it in places that I would never park a soft top. Actual practical daily transportation rather than merely weekend sport driving.  ;D

Still a disgusting movement in that car's legacy.  What a shame.

I have a real hard top for mine. :p

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
This is my favorite theft story ever. An employee broke  in after after hours and loaded up the company van with collegiate merch and then stole it. He was arrested the following day as he was selling the merch out of the van in a supermarket parking lot down the road........it didn't require a Sherlock to catch him as the company van had their logo in vinyl splattered all over it!
Genius