Author Topic: Diamondback S registration problems  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Diamondback S registration problems
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »
We have been doing 1000 white tees with a multi color design.
Orange, red, magenta, flash, blue, black.
For some reason which I can't figure out the orange was out of registration on pallet 1 and the red was out of registration on pallet 9 but only around a certain area of the red and orange. Of course it could as well be that the black was out on both those pallets as it forms an online stroke around all the other colors. Well the press is just 4 month old so I don't think that it will not hold registration well? What else could cause certain colors to be out on always the same pallet number? It just seems to be odd that not all pallets are effected.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Diamondback S registration problems
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
make sure your platens are tight.  also, make sure they are level. 

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:17:25 AM »
Among the many other things to check, make sure the build up on subsequent screens isn't blockin out the open areas making it look like registration is being thrown off, especially if things are butting up.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
first guess is palette unevenness. doesn't take long for those palettes to go a little out of parallel especially if your guys are not gentle with them.

Another thing to check and this is from experience of having it happen is the palettes being locked in tight, on my press there was a small amount of play on some of them which was causing registration issues intermittently after tightening the properly never had that issue again.
"No man is an island"

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »
are your frames flat? all the same tension?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »
Problem will be level of screens or pallets,squeegee starting off the pallet and bumping up on pallet, loose pallets due to cams not adjusted properly, excessive off contact, or ink build up on screens. it is next to impossible that the press is out of register!
Rich Hoffman

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 01:13:34 PM »
Problem will be level of screens or pallets,squeegee starting off the pallet and bumping up on pallet, loose pallets due to cams not adjusted properly, excessive off contact, or ink build up on screens. it is next to impossible that the press is out of register!

NOt the press HOMIE!  I own that press, its badass and super consistant.  Its one of the other issues already stated.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
I'm thinking unparallel pallets as well.  Just because it was installed 4 months ago doesn't mean they are still parallel, or were parallel right after the install.  I'm not saying someone did a bad job at installation, if a pallet is going to shift or move, it will do it sooner rather than later after the paralleling.  I've had pallets shift after a few imprints right after I've paralleled the press, it happens and there isn't much you can do about it other than make sure you catch it quickly.

One thing I'd look at is all the nuts/bolts of the pallet system and printheads, especially the individual print head off contact adjustment nuts/bolts.  A fresh press can work a bolt loose so check all of those. I doubt there is a regi issue due to the registration forks & bearings being out of whack.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »
we have a diamondback s and i had the same problem. only one platen was off reg.  thought i was going crazy for a bit!!! when i finally figured it out, noticed that the print arm would wiggle back and forth under the screen when i would check registration. turns out that the bolt holding the print arm to the upper part of the carousel was a bit loose (its on the underside of the print arm). got in there with an allen wrench and tightened it down. problem solved.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »
we have a diamondback s and i had the same problem. only one platen was off reg.  thought i was going crazy for a bit!!! when i finally figured it out, noticed that the print arm would wiggle back and forth under the screen when i would check registration. turns out that the bolt holding the print arm to the upper part of the carousel was a bit loose (its on the underside of the print arm). got in there with an allen wrench and tightened it down. problem solved.

Yep.  That's what I would suggest.  Either pallet arm is loose or pallet itself is loose.  If it's the arm, make sure you center it before tightening bolts, or that pallet will always print the graphic off-center.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
So what would be the easiest way of leveling the pallets without running the risk of getting them all screwed up? Any tips and tricks I should know about?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 09:27:29 PM »
So what would be the easiest way of leveling the pallets without running the risk of getting them all screwed up? Any tips and tricks I should know about?

Do a search here and google it.  It's a simple, straight ahead process.  Platens and screen holders on the same plane is the goal. 

The only thing you are adding in on the auto v. a manual press is the print arm being parallel and in plane across the carriage travel.  This is not a bash or knock or a call for pages long discussion on the topic at all but the 3pt bolted M&R brackets go out of whack frequently so work this into your maintenance routine as much as needed. Using correct pressure and not man handling the platens will make this adjustment less frequent. 

This can all be done with a steel ruler to check the height of the platens to your screen in head #1 and...I'm sorry guys, it has to be said, maybe some shim stock for the print arms.  Your tech should have nailed the print arms and screen holders so it may be that everything is within tolerance save for a couple of platens which is easy stuff, so measure screen to platens first. 

Stop and calibrate and enjoy the rest of your print run.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »
I would also add that you want the platens/screen holders and print carriage on the same plane. 

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 12:33:54 AM »
Check then double check everything before adjusting anything. If you go and start monkeying around on parts that didn't need it you can end up with a worse mess than anticipated.

Very first thing I would ever do is check tightness. Then I would check the palettes parallel, then compare to all the hangers with one palette only to confirm the hangers are all in tolerance.
"No man is an island"

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 07:05:02 AM »
Before you start to adjust the pallets you should confirm that is the problem. Use a clean pallet with no lint ,etc and raise it to the screen on every head. The clearance should be uniform and the same on each screen. Make sure you use the same pallet! You can also contact our service department to walk through the process.
Rich Hoffman