Author Topic: MAC trials and tribulations  (Read 2679 times)

Offline inkbrigade

MAC trials and tribulations
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 04:57:35 PM »
I can't remember which model of Macintosh you got. But one thing that makes dealing with finder windows faster, is an SSD.

Load the OS, and applications on that and it makes things much faster. I would assume it would do the same on a Windows machine.

If you can't afford a large SSD, the hybrid drives that Seagate makes work pretty well, my wife has one of those.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: MAC trials and tribulations
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
If you can't afford a large SSD, the hybrid drives that Seagate makes work pretty well, my wife has one of those.

I installed one of these for the first time the other night... granted, I didn't get to really test drive the laptop very much I really wasn't all that impressed with it.  Certainly not for the money (almost double a regular platter hard drive and near the same price as SSD).

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
EarlieR I mentioned a slower response than windows let me clarify.

I always have used personal built rigs with lots of power and quality components, on top of that I always turn off all the washy washy crap windows runs for you automatically. Such as transparent title bars, warping folders etc. turning all tht crap off makes response times when navigating much faster for the obvious reasons.

Now in the Mac I see it has all the glitzy stuff as well but no way as of yet any ways to get rid of any of it so I do notice a bit of a slower response time. Ofcourse this all could relate to the fact I have a VM running at the same time and maybe that is a drag.

All in all I am learning my way around, it will get easier with time lol. Some things still perturbed me like for some reason it constantly loses connection but will reconnect quickly, and the damn mail program keeps asking me about an unrecognized certificicate for the out going server, this happens every time I send an email and I have to hit ok every damn time. Problem is it really screws up some of my message rules, for instance I have a lot of email addresses automatically forward to the owners email that contain invoices, I have all digitized logos automatically forwarded to our embroidery dept. but with this annoying certificate issue these message rules will not work grrrr. Tomorrow I plan on searching for an alternative email program for Mac assuming there is one.

"No man is an island"

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »
Meant to mention it awhile back, I'm on my first box with a SSD and mind=blown.