Author Topic: emulsions  (Read 19057 times)

Offline jasonl

• !!!
Re: emulsions
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »
Nazdars list price is $68 does anybody actually pay list price?  Get the free sample.  That sample converted me.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 09:31:25 PM »
Bringing this thread back because what I want to say isn't worthy of a new thread and isn't so much a complaint as is it a comparison of emulsions.

I currently 80% through my gallon of Chromablue which I'm trying and comparing to my usual Aquasol HV for the pure photo-polymer side of printing.  The Chromablue had a different odor than the aquasol, strangely stronger and sharper when first opened and stirred.  Went to coat screens today and opened it up, it's about half full, and the smell oh my god.  It brought me back to my college days when we'd pass out from a party and the keg would warm up to room temperature and then we'd try to ice it down a few days later and drink it lol.  THAT smell, skunky beer!  Anyone agree?

The other more noteable thing is something that Alan has mentioned before.  I use double sided sticky tape for my films on my reg unit and damned if the tape NEVER comes off the chromablue.  I never had an issue with Aquasol doing that but it actually is a pain in the ass because I have to cover it or it will pick up shirts and ruin registration.

Another thing I noticed was the consistency of the Chromablue was much runnier than the Aquasol.  I can layer the aquasol with the round edge on a 110 2 coats outside, flip&rotate, and 3 coats inside all day without fear of drips.  If I try that with the Chromablue I have to be extremely careful not to wait too long for the coat stroke or emulsion will seep through and actually drip when drying near the bottom.

I know the smell of skunky keg beer very well, and chromablue does smell like mildewed hell beer.  I do find it weird that it dripped so badly on you because it's solids content is pretty high so it takes a very thick deposit to drip or very open mesh counts.  I wonder if you got a bad batch.  I thought it's solids content was higher than the aquasol HV but I could be wrong.  I think the chroma is around 48-50% if I remember correctly.  It will drip but only under extreme conditions.  The only real drawback I've had with the chromablue is it's post exposure tackiness.  It will ruin a new or old piece of film if we don't put some baby powder on it before we put the film positive on.

I tried a quart of PC-701 that was very much like the chromablue but without the substrate side tack.  I've considered going to that for a few months to try it out more that way we could retire the baby powder portion of the exposure process.

I wish there was an emulsion with a high solids content, 48-52%, pure photopolymer or one pot/ready to use that would hold detail like a dual cure, stand up to discharge and WB inks and expose as quickly as PP does.  Is that asking too much?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Al -check out the Kiwo Discharge Jay is talking about, I got my gallon in today - have a mess of screens to coat tomorrow. It may be the ticket, atleast according to the description. .. maybe Jason will chime in here about. . .for the record, Ulano Orange is pretty damn cool. dries really fast 2/1, exposes in a minute, dries in less than 5 under a fan. . .really nice
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »
I'm having lunch with my rep that deals Kiwo tomorrow and I'll see if he can get me a sample of that emulsion Jason has plugged a few times.  As good as I think Ulano is, I've only sampled one or two of their emulsions over the years.  I'll see if I can't get a sample of the orange as well.  Let me know if you can build a thick stencil with that Kiwo Homer.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 08:47:36 AM »
Nazdars list price is $68 does anybody actually pay list price?

Yep, guess I do? I don't order from Nazdar because their prices are always ridiculous.

Example:

Chromablue at Nazdar = $94.54 / gallon
Chromablue at Atlas = $62.10 / gallon

Guess I'm not big enough for a rep to stop by to give me better pricing.  I've always found their online ordering system lacking as well. You can't track your order, no tracking numbers, so one day it just shows up.  Didn't want this to turn into a rant about Nazdar, but damn it's almost like Alpha or Broder.  The small time suckers who still order from them at per piece pricing thinking they can't get a better deal.

Hey it says Tubelite is a Kiwo dealer and I actually HAVE a Tubelite guy that visits me and gives me good pricing before I even order anything!  I'll call and order a gallon from him.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »
  Didn't want this to turn into a rant about Nazdar, but damn it's almost like Alpha or Broder.

tell me about it ::) , I still use broder for 99.5% of my goods, I think they dropped the ball for the last time. .. however pricing is a whole 'nother beast, I have to type in my own price I want to pay in the comments section of the order. . .yeah, I don't know why I'm doing it either. .Bodek, here I come

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 04:37:22 PM »
I do a 2/1 coat with the kiwo discharge with the sharp side of the coater and get a good emulsion deposit.  I have been running it for about 3 weeks now and I still can not find anything wrong with it.  I have not ran a LONG run of discharge, but it held up  great for short runs.  My detail is just as good as when I used QTX.  I am interested to see what everyone else thinks if anyone tries it.    I didnt think I would EVER give up QTX, since I have had nothing but great success with it for 14 years, but the more waterbase and discharge I do, I had to make a change.  So far its the best I have tried.  I just wanted a single emulsion for everything.  Dont think I need to look any further.  Just my opinion.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
I do a 2/1 coat with the kiwo discharge with the sharp side of the coater and get a good emulsion deposit.  I have been running it for about 3 weeks now and I still can not find anything wrong with it.  I have not ran a LONG run of discharge, but it held up  great for short runs.  My detail is just as good as when I used QTX.  I am interested to see what everyone else thinks if anyone tries it.    I didnt think I would EVER give up QTX, since I have had nothing but great success with it for 14 years, but the more waterbase and discharge I do, I had to make a change.  So far its the best I have tried.  I just wanted a single emulsion for everything.  Dont think I need to look any further.  Just my opinion.

I'll be getting a sample in soon I hope.  The Kiwo technical rep will be coming by here next week and we plan on talking about this in detail so I'll keep ya'll informed as to what I learn.  I'd like to have a versatile emulsion but as of right now, there isn't one that does the three main things as well as I want.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2012, 05:27:01 PM »
we never ran a dual cure before and I was blown away with the detail we held vs the SBQ. I did some reading up on it and it seems that SBQ should hold more detail than a dual cure?  I am hoping the Kiwo is the way to go. I think I would like to put the same image on about 10 different screens coated with different emulsions and print them, see what happens.  I know the exposure unit, times, film, all that jazz play a large roll in it too so what works for you may not work for me. Let us know what you find Al.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »
Nazdars list price is $68 does anybody actually pay list price?

Yep, guess I do? I don't order from Nazdar because their prices are always ridiculous.

Example:
Chromablue at Nazdar = $94.54 / gallon
Chromablue at Atlas = $62.10 / gallon

Guess I'm not big enough for a rep to stop by to give me better pricing.  I've always found their online ordering system lacking as well. You can't track your order, no tracking numbers, so one day it just shows up.  Didn't want this to turn into a rant about Nazdar, but damn it's almost like Alpha or Broder.  The small time suckers who still order from them at per piece pricing thinking they can't get a better deal.

Hey it says Tubelite is a Kiwo dealer and I actually HAVE a Tubelite guy that visits me and gives me good pricing before I even order anything!  I'll call and order a gallon from him.

Integrity Shirts:   Sorry to hear that your ordering experience from Nazdar has fallen short of meeting your needs.  I’d like to respond to a couple of the points that you raised and to offer my assistance to take the required actions to get things back on track.  Please email me or PM me with your contact information and I will get right onto having these issues addressed.

Order Tracking (1):  Nazdar SourceOne Policy and our everyday practice  is to provide an email or fax confirmation with every order that is placed.  This notification confirms price, shipping method, shipping status and other relevant information related to the processing of the order along with a link to an online Customer Service Satisfaction Survey.   If you have not been receiving these order confirmations please let me know so I can investigate where the breakdown is.

Order Tracking (2):   Nazdar SourceOne uses a shipping software package that is fully integrated with the shipment and package tracking systems utilized by UPS and FedEx.  The Your Account section of the SourceOne web site (see www.SourceOneonline.com or wwwSourceOne.Nazdar.com) provides our customers with the ability to track their package based on the shipping method used, and also to review prior product purchase and order history.  If you are not familiar with this function on the Nazdar SourceOne website please let me know and I’ll have someone reach out to walk you through it.

Product Pricing:   the pricing displayed by Nazdar SourceOne on the website and in our catalogs is always going to be Manufacturer Suggested List Price unless there is a specific promotion going on at that time.  With that said we do offer Customer Value Added programs such as volume purchase discount, full case pricing, product bundling ricing programs, and the establishment of Open Account Terms.  The best way to review the availability of these types of programs would be to request a Sales Representative to contact you.  Please let me know if you would like me to set up this contact and I will gladly make it happen. 

Once again my apologies if our service, responsiveness and product pricing have not met your needs and I welcome the opportunity to help get things back on track.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »
Integrity Shirts:   Sorry to hear that your ordering experience from Nazdar has fallen short of meeting your needs.  I’d like to respond to a couple of the points that you raised and to offer my assistance to take the required actions to get things back on track.  Please email me or PM me with your contact information and I will get right onto having these issues addressed.

Order Tracking (1):  Nazdar SourceOne Policy and our everyday practice  is to provide an email or fax confirmation with every order that is placed.  This notification confirms price, shipping method, shipping status and other relevant information related to the processing of the order along with a link to an online Customer Service Satisfaction Survey.   If you have not been receiving these order confirmations please let me know so I can investigate where the breakdown is.

Order Tracking (2):   Nazdar SourceOne uses a shipping software package that is fully integrated with the shipment and package tracking systems utilized by UPS and FedEx.  The Your Account section of the SourceOne web site (see www.SourceOneonline.com or wwwSourceOne.Nazdar.com) provides our customers with the ability to track their package based on the shipping method used, and also to review prior product purchase and order history.  If you are not familiar with this function on the Nazdar SourceOne website please let me know and I’ll have someone reach out to walk you through it.

Product Pricing:   the pricing displayed by Nazdar SourceOne on the website and in our catalogs is always going to be Manufacturer Suggested List Price unless there is a specific promotion going on at that time.  With that said we do offer Customer Value Added programs such as volume purchase discount, full case pricing, product bundling ricing programs, and the establishment of Open Account Terms.  The best way to review the availability of these types of programs would be to request a Sales Representative to contact you.  Please let me know if you would like me to set up this contact and I will gladly make it happen. 

Once again my apologies if our service, responsiveness and product pricing have not met your needs and I welcome the opportunity to help get things back on track.

No worries Peter.  I'm actually mistaken in that your online ordering system does have tracking functionality.  After further digging and clicking/expanding I did find it.

On pricing: Please understand the side of the online customer on pricing.  I understand that before the ecommerce boom, printed materials and phone calls were the preferred sales methods. I also understand that quantity discounts for bulk sales are the bread and butter of your business.  The internet, though, is here to help! By bypassing sales reps, phone calls, and printed material costs, you can have an overflow of web orders waiting to be picked and shipped solely by offering better online pricing.

I'd love to speak to a rep and receive better pricing via your online store. But I can't always call in an order and I prefer to place orders online where I can review everything visually before hitting submit.  My time is limited and I do research prior to ordering on sites like this! 8)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
I have also avoided Nazdar because of internet pricing. It is probably something they should look at unless they get alot of people ordering at list price, I sure wouldn't.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
There are two chains of industrial supply stores I refuse to use because unless you have a big account you get first column pricing, which is inflated 40-100% from what is a fair price. I have no idea why some companies would do that. One fair price to all, with maybe a modest discount to huge customers would make much more sense.

The first time a customer finds out he over paid, they're likely gone for good.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »
Nazdar has always taken care of us. We do deal directly with our sales rep. I do keep them honest by price checking, something that needs to be done reguardless of who and how long you deal with a vendor. The service has always been top notch and always a phone call away for technical help which adds to the value

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
I have only had 1 rep visit my shop in the past year and he gave me the best pricing, free delivery and great service out of the gate and I am small time. I would like the best price out the gate otherwise I'll find someone else to give it to me.